Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: HW Hopefuls that ~fizzled out, vol. 1: Obed Sullivan

For a guy who jumped in at 24 near 270 lbs a cut prone Sullivan did very well to get as far as he did. Solid workman who tried and did improve boxing and not just ride it out. Maybe the best Grant ever looked was with Sullivan. Hopeful is pretty much a description of any heavyweight compared/mentioned with greats and many get caught up. It was never there in the first place or they thought a sneer and punch compensated for a weak defense or bad habits in some cases. I actually thought Juan C Gomez had the goods to move up and contend but he couldn't translate the talent. On paper Briggs gets a pass based on 1-2 fights and a great TV personality but he really has been on 15 minutes of fame for going decades now. I remember a guy like Jeremy Williams who was very entertaining as much for his flaws as he was punch and promotion. Within a year and few months he had knocked out and run close with fellow Olympians, network dropped "Tyson like mentality" nearly every fight being managed by Cayton and trained by Rooney. You can only stack it so high. Honestly speaking didn't Tua sort of fizzle out. Guys like Paea Wollfgramm, Cody Koch, Courage Tshabalala, Calvin Brock come in different variations. Sad to say Jennings may be waiting on the next stop.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Well let's see....

Dominick Guinn
    Duncan Dokiwari
    David Izon
    Friday Ahunaya
    Eddie Chambers
    DaVaryl Williamson
    Jorge Luis Gonzales
    Odlanier Solis
    Andre Purlette
    Alexander Dimitrenko

I'd put Joe Mesi on there but I think he achieved everything he was going to BAR a true title challenge. His career was halted due to injury and that was a shame. Calvin Brock also achieved all he was going to which included a title shot, he did quite well for a late starter in the game.
    Either I don't get the question or our definition of hopeful is different. I don't think I ever had any hope that any one of these guys would amount to much.
    Those guys were all highly rated as young professionals and some even highly rated amateurs. Jorge Luis Gonzales beat Teofilo Stevenson for fucks sake AND he was 6'7 with an 82" reach....so YEAH he should have been a lot more than what he was....but I guess you knew he would fail miserably

David Izon and Friday Ahunaya were compared to Ike Ibeabuchi

Odlanier Solis was an Olympic Gold medalist with a very bright future.....but that brightness was apparently the Hot & Now sign at Krispy Kreme

But hey, to each their own you don't think those guys had promise as pros that's fine
    damn solis, I really thought he could have been heavyweight champ, he had such a great amateru career, beat haye and pulev in amateur world championship tournaments and of course the olympic gold medal too... Pretty sure he beat felix savon ,more than he lost to him too.. His career definently fizzled out when he became a pro, he just became so fat and unprofessional, it is amazing.. I think it was his fight v austin where he just sort of gave up, he started off that fight very well and then just coasted to a dq win... He was 260lbs v austin :S and that was light for him.... I also can't believe his performances v tony thompson, he could have easily won those if he was in anyway professional, he lost the first fight and he gained 20 lbs for the rematch :S

I think Solis has been a huge waste of talent, which is a real shame, he was one of my favourites

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Solis became so fat his knee gave way carrying his own weight in a title fight.

The West have a lot to answer for tempting a fighter with fun, freedom, food and fanny.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Fury became champ.
    Chis became a gatekeeper
    Price still has a chance
    Price is done.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's bear in mind that some of these guys came around and fought top competition but never could beat the man. Some never truly fizzled out. Messi never truly fizzled out, he had a blood clot on his brain.

Dominic Guinn never fizzled either, he beat top guys and lost a few good fights.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Obed Sullivan had built up to 29-1 with 20 KO's.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Let's bear in mind that some of these guys came around and fought top competition but never could beat the man. Some never truly fizzled out. Messi never truly fizzled out, he had a blood clot on his brain.

Dominic Guinn never fizzled either, he beat top guys and lost a few good fights.
    True, Mesi got injured, but Guinn DID fizzle. I saw the Guinn vs Grant fight and when he didn't put Grant away until the 7th I knew it was over for him. Dominick Guinn had the power, he was a smart enough fighter, he was very durable, but he lacked the intensity and sense of urgency in his fights.....I think he was one of those guys who left it all in the gym. He had good hands, good power, but just didn't do enough work in the ring for whatever reason. A lot of folks thought he was going to be the next Holyfield and for a while it looked that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Solis became so fat his knee gave way carrying his own weight in a title fight.
    And the Fury's wanted to claim it was due to soft padding on the ring .....I watched that fight numerous times, that ring was stiff as a board. No padding at all unless you're counting what Solis had around his waist.

jon09 Guest

Jameel Mccline is my pick. He demolished Michael Grant; beat an up in comer in Goofy Whitaker beat former champ Briggs and then runs into a Klitschko and was never the same again.

jon09 Guest

And the Calvin Boxing Banker Brock is another 1.

Thread Information