Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was the deal with GGG's telegraphed punches early on?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What was the deal with GGG's telegraphed punches early on?

Didn't see GGG do any lateral movements, no bobbing or weaving, just walking straight lines towards Brook. He was taking more than a couple uppercuts as well. Yes he might be able to beat elite competition but after yesterday's fight I realized he is not THAT INVINCIBLE.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Didn't see GGG do any lateral movements, no bobbing or weaving, just walking straight lines towards Brook. He was taking more than a couple uppercuts as well. Yes he might be able to beat elite competition but after yesterday's fight I realized he is not THAT INVINCIBLE.
    Hoping Caneo will take the bait too.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    As Floyd fans would say, "This half breed is a bum. Any decent black fighter with skills would wipe him out. If Floyd fought him it would be an easy 120-108 domination." Fact.
    Not every round.

GGG would win a few.

Fact.
    That's not fact, its another bloody opinion. A fact is something that's happened, not what you think will happen, doh!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    As Floyd fans would say, "This half breed is a bum. Any decent black fighter with skills would wipe him out. If Floyd fought him it would be an easy 120-108 domination." Fact.
    Not every round.

GGG would win a few.

Fact.
    That's not fact, its another bloody opinion. A fact is something that's happened, not what you think will happen, doh!
    The opinion is so strong it's turned into a fact..like floyds record..that is so real and factual.

Ignoring all that, I wish GGG the very best in his career but it's only a matter of time before we all mention the catch weight fight with ward when he's done with kovalev..that's the future.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It does make you wonder if he was just warming up or wanted to taste what Brook could counter with knowing he couldn't be hurt, but that would be a bit bonkers to any other fighter though. Or maybe it is to make himself look a bit more vulnerable and encourage any onlookers. Either way it was strange as he didn't even need to throw those punches as he surely knew himself they were not landing. It somewhat helped Brook look quite good, but it was really GGG just saying 'That's as clumsy as I can be and you don't really have anything'.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    It does make you wonder if he was just warming up or wanted to taste what Brook could counter with knowing he couldn't be hurt, but that would be a bit bonkers to any other fighter though. Or maybe it is to make himself look a bit more vulnerable and encourage any onlookers. Either way it was strange as he didn't even need to throw those punches as he surely knew himself they were not landing. It somewhat helped Brook look quite good, but it was really GGG just saying 'That's as clumsy as I can be and you don't really have anything'.

kel brook is a talented fighter who moves very well and hits hard

the reason GGG looked like a plodder at times was because of brook

in the end the size and strength was the difference, the injury was a telling factor too, brook may have kept it going at least another 2 or 3 rounds without it
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

kel brook is a talented fighter who moves very well and hits hard

the reason GGG looked like a plodder at times was because of brook

in the end the size and strength was the difference, the injury was a telling factor too, brook may have kept it going at least another 2 or 3 rounds without it
    Brook is a good fighter and his punches probably do hurt and that is why I don't understand those clumsy looping punches. If I was sitting there thinking 'Why is he throwing a wide looping punch like that, there is no way it is going to land' then surely Golovkin knows that when he is a couple of feet away from his opponent. At times Brook countered it very well, other times he just looked at the punch himself probably thinking in real time 'What is that all about then?' It just looked a bit lazy. If Golovkin does that against someone of his own size, then there might be a price. It's all well and good taking 20 punches a round off a WW, but I hope Golovkin isn't starting to get a bit bored. Maybe it's all just too easy for him at the moment, I don't know.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't buy any of this that he is taking punches on purpose

he went in there and tried as hard as he could from the start, no one goes in to a fight thinking ill take a few punches for a few rounds, specially not in front of a packed O2

did you see the state of his face after the fight?

the looping punches are the punches he throws, he didn't look clumsy in other fights because the fighters he fought are not as good/slippery as brook

I actually think by the mid point in the third he was sick of taking the punches and just tried to get brook out of there, which obviously worked

I do however think the eye injury made that a lot more possible
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

And if that fight ever happens and Canelo gets to beat him I wonder if people will finally give him credit for once or say GGG was too old, too slow, etc.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chino View Post
    didn't see ggg do any lateral movements, no bobbing or weaving, just walking straight lines towards brook. He was taking more than a couple uppercuts as well. Yes he might be able to beat elite competition but after yesterday's fight i realized he is not that invincible.
    hoping caneo will take the bait too.

hook, line and sinker.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

And if that fight ever happens and Canelo gets to beat him I wonder if people will finally give him credit for once or say GGG was too old, too slow, etc.
    Well Canelo is taking his time deliberately waiting for GGG to get older and there is no denying that so in a way it will be true if he did beat GGG.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information