Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Eubank/Benn vs Roy jones

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    those who have been on this board for a while know that I'm one of Roy's biggest critics when it comes to his quality of opposition and historical ranking. That being said, Roy was special during his prime. Once in a lifetime special.

Eubank and Benn were great fighters, but they weren't once in a lifetime special. 168 lb Roy would feast on aggression. Guys would walk into his left hook or hybrid uppercut and that was the fight (Thomas Tate, Bryant Brannon, Merqui Sosa...etc.). Benn would come to destroy and walk right into something big.

Roy's toughest fights were always with boxers who had solid skills and defense. Think of his fights vs Hop, Montell, and even Eric Harding. Prime Roy would have issues with Eubanks combination of awkward style, speed, reflexes, counter punching ability, and power. That being said, Roy was special and would find a way to win the fight the majority of the time.

While Eubank and Benn were not as great as Roy, they were both legitimate one punch threats, and great fighters, so they definitely belonged in a ring with Roy and could have pulled the upset, if they landed the right punch.
    Think at 168 Benn was showing a bit more boxing smarts with that attack. Can see exact scenario of Jones timing him and short circuiting him for sure but Benn would be miles above the approach of those three. Sosa and Tate had just been through buzzsaws and Benn was on a completely different level with his own instant eraser of a punch. Right on about Harding, think he may have given Jones better fight than even a Hopkins. Think that effort gets overlooked a bit and how injury and result basically nose dive a quality fighter.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I loved Nigel Benn and I've met him quite a few times. He would have a puncher's chance against anybody and his early rounds assault was as thrilling an anybody who has stepped in a ring.

Having said that, I was never convinced that he was a true super middleweight. He was nearly always smaller than his opponents at that weight and (for example) Chris Eubank always looked a couple of weight divisions bigger. Nigel did seem to gas out later on in fights too.

its possible that Benn steamrolls Jones, catches him early and totally obliterates him ...... But I think it's much more likely that Jones gets through a couple of uncomfortable rounds and then begins to assert his authority in there, causing the ref to step in to protect a defenceless Benn in or around the ninth round.

Eubank was a totally different proposition. Big, strong, granite chin and will and a really awkward style that was always difficult to look good against. A master at lacing, and stealing rests and an intelligent fighter inside the ropes.

he would never have seen anything like Jones in the ring and would find himself being outsped by someone even more unorthodox than he was!

I pi really can't see Jones stopping Eubank, nor can I see Eubank out boxing Jones. So for me, this is a points decision to Jones after a bit of a messy stinker of a fight.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd favour Roy but can see a scenario where both Benn and Eubank could beat him.

I think Roy v Benn would be an edge of your seat thriller
    Last edited by Mark TKO; 09-24-2016 at 06:36 AM.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    I'd favour Roy but can see a scenario where both Benn and Eubank could beat win.

I think Roy v Benn would be an edge of your seat thriller
    I agree that RJJ v Benn would be a cracker.......... While it lasted. And I should never dismiss Benn after what happened with McLellan. Maybe it's just me, but I'm surprised so many people think these fights would be close. RJJ at his peak whether MW or SMW was an All time great for a period of time . Benn and Eubank, although both very good and both World Champions really weren't at RJJ's level IMO.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eubank struggled with Watson and was all but beaten in the 2nd fight losing nearly every round. Watson was comprehensively beaten by McCallum.

McCallum would have beaten both of them and Roy was at or above this level.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones would have beaten both of them comfortably.

He might have have a more difficult time with Benn due to Nigel's aggression & speed, but I think he would have prevailed via late stoppage.

Jones isn't knocking out Eubank, but Chris just didn't do enough in fights sometimes & there's is no way he'd be able to do all that glove touching, nostril flaring nonsense that he liked; Jones would have bounced an eight punch combo off his head before he finished doing it.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Thread Information