Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Al Haymon/PBC

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Yea that's bleak. As far as I know there isn't a single big fight in October, and aside from WArd-Kovalev(neither being Haymon fighters) basically nothing for the rest of the year, aside from Pac vs Vargas I guess. What is the firm that backs Haymon?
    https://www.waddell.com/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/outflows...nds-1433968268

There are claims that they've invested as much as $900 million in Haymon, anywhere between about 450 and 900 is a good guess. They're facing a lawsuit from investors pissed off about the amount of money they're risking and the investors claim $925 although it's hard to say exactly how much of that Haymon has access to. Supposedly he's lost hundreds of millions of dollars in just the last twelve months though. But worse than that the firm backing him isn't doing too well and they may have changes in management who are deciding to pull the plug.

Nealry three years into the whole thing and it's looking like a total disaster though.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://www.premierboxingchampions.com/boxing-schedule

New schedule coming soon.

The biggest problem is that Haymon went from being a manager/advisor to running the show. If you run a setup like PBC you need to be able to match whichever of your fighters you want whenever at the lowest cost to you possible, have a constant conveyor belt of competitive fights and build it into a weekly event like UFC.

Haymon couldn't do that. All his fighters are signed to managerial contracts, he's supposed to get the best deals possible for them and he's not allowed to be the name promoter by law. So his top guys are picking up massive money for rubbish fights and turning down anything that would be good on TV. He needs to be a promoter and not a manager but the only way he could build up his initial stable of fighters pre-PBC was to sign them to managerial contracts.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

The biggest problem is that Haymon went from being a manager/advisor to running the show. If you run a setup like PBC you need to be able to match whichever of your fighters you want whenever at the lowest cost to you possible, have a constant conveyor belt of competitive fights and build it into a weekly event like UFC.

Haymon couldn't do that. All his fighters are signed to managerial contracts, he's supposed to get the best deals possible for them and he's not allowed to be the name promoter by law. So his top guys are picking up massive money for rubbish fights and turning down anything that would be good on TV. He needs to be a promoter and not a manager but the only way he could build up his initial stable of fighters pre-PBC was to sign them to managerial contracts.
    Very nice breakdown.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

I like PBC, but these reports have me worried that it is not a feasible business plan and is on life support.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

Very nice breakdown.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

I like PBC, but these reports have me worried that it is not a feasible business plan and is on life support.
    I've been doing a bit of reading and people like Dan Rafael have already been covering this. I would guess we're going to hear something concrete before Christmas. With the amount of money involved PBC has to be doing major fights on major networks like NBC, it can't continue just doing second and third rate fights on tiny cable channels.

It's looking like fairly imminent good news for Top Rank/Golden Boy/Schaefer/HBO/Showtime though.

Thread Information