Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Arguments for getting rid of the HW division in boxing

One of the things I've always thought overblown was how 'heavyweight division runs the sport' thinking. That ended long ago with massive expansion and insta click media to follow boxing and gets the best of both positive and negative press. And honestly wonder about the unavoidable internationalization of the division. Majority of 90's save for who..Lewis? or far less Golota melting down like a crayon on a summer sidewalk was American friendly . Even then the two geezers pushing late 40's did prove they earned a spot. Of course being legends helped also, but Foreman and Holmes if briefly merited mention in comebacks. Lack of quality is our own fault with shite Olympic development and the one..Wilder..who got a medal push turns into one of the most protected mothballed prospects turned trinket holders we have seen. I really don't think the division is a total loss but it would benefit in my eye if Wlad just retired already. And Haye for that matter. Or stay retired, I'm confused as to what he is doing now Parker, Ortiz, Povetkin, Joshua and Wilder show hope for it. I don't even thing Parker v Hubba Bubba Andy Ruiz is bad and could likely turn into a decent scrap.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't like the heavyweight division? Don't fucking watch it. Pretty simple fix

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't, but thanks for the tip anyway.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I understand. I'm getting fed up with the heavyweight prima donnas avoiding each other.

Ortiz avoided Ustinov
    Klitschko avoided Joshua
    Browne avoided Klitschko and Whyte
    Parker avoided Joshua to fight the limited Ruiz for an easy belt
    Wilder avoided Povetkin and Ortiz.

The only ones who are willing to fight anybody are Anthony Joshua and Alexander Povetkin. Only interesting fight this year Stiverne-Povetkin, and even that may not happen.

Light heavyweight is much better right now, with Ward-Kovalev, Chilemba-Gvozdyk, Barrera-Shabranskyy, and Smith-Hopkins coming up.

Cruiserweight has good fighters against each other: Lebedev-Gassiev, and Usyk-Glowacki recently. Hopefully Bellew won't avoid the very talented Breidis.

I admire your steadfastness on reporting about the division, though. Being a little optimistic, I'm hoping (chances aren't all that good) that guys like Wilder, AJ, and other up-and-coming heavyweights provide us with the types of fights we haven't seen for decades it seems like. Technically, Wilder isn't up-and-coming anymore.... but he's still a bit raw and needs to polish his skills, regardless of having a championship belt.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well first off i would do away with mw because that has been a shit division pretty much since Pavlik stop fighting and consider most people are that size never understood why that divisions talent level was so underwhelming. As for why people would watch heavyweight well that pretty simple the hw weight champ can kick everyone ass which appeals to people. The smaller weights some of them are just midgets compared to most people hence no one cares. The heavyweights will never look as good because one punch can end you and when your that big it is hard to look flawless the HW division only had few great eras 70's and 90's rest of it is a great fighter and the gatekeepers pretty much.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love the HW division, because it tells us who THE baddest man on the planet is. Rigondeaux, Mayweather, Lomanchenko, etc can have all the skill they want, but at the end of the day even a fat mess like Andy Ruiz Jr would punch them through a wall if it came to it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Well first off i would do away with mw because that has been a shit division pretty much since Pavlik stop fighting and consider most people are that size never understood why that divisions talent level was so underwhelming. As for why people would watch heavyweight well that pretty simple the hw weight champ can kick everyone ass which appeals to people. The smaller weights some of them are just midgets compared to most people hence no one cares. The heavyweights will never look as good because one punch can end you and when your that big it is hard to look flawless the HW division only had few great eras 70's and 90's rest of it is a great fighter and the gatekeepers pretty much.

The MW division has had its underwhelming eras to be sure. But like you said and it's a good point... most people are close to that size... and that in itself is the reason why historically there have been many great MW champions and fighters. I suspect in the future we'll have more great MW champions to cheer for. Those midgets at the lower weights get a raw deal because most guys don't walk around at 120 or below. And yet there is great talent there. Plus you have guys like Chocolatito, who packs a huge punch for such a little guy. It's all relative. I think the people that are obsessed with the HW's are mostly casual fans who like you say... just want to see someone knock someone else's block off. However, it's the division where guys get away with less skill because they're so big and powerful and can end a fight with one punch. I wouldn't mind it if the fighters were better... but it's been a looooong time since fans were truly excited about anything regarding the HW division.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well the thing is i look at skill a lot different from the hw to the smaller weights because when you are below fw just easier for you to move and look fluid with it. HW it is hard to look like that and regardless of talent when your 230 plus and get hit your tech and talent goes out the door. Lennox Lewis is one of the greatest fighters to ever step in the ring yet he has loses to McCall and Rahman hw hard even if guy you face is less talented fighters then you. My first fight was Holyfeild and Tyson and Holyfeild my favorite fighter period so most of the time i get more hyped on hw even if it has been a bit lame because the division has so much history for me watched it my whole life.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Well the thing is i look at skill a lot different from the hw to the smaller weights because when you are below fw just easier for you to move and look fluid with it. HW it is hard to look like that and regardless of talent when your 230 plus and get hit your tech and talent goes out the door. Lennox Lewis is one of the greatest fighters to ever step in the ring yet he has loses to McCall and Rahman hw hard even if guy you face is less talented fighters then you. My first fight was Holyfeild and Tyson and Holyfeild my favorite fighter period so most of the time i get more hyped on hw even if it has been a bit lame because the division has so much history for me watched it my whole life.
    Yes I agree. A HW should never be held to the same standards of skill and fluidity of the lower weights. There's a reason why we don't see any 230lb gymnasts, and conversely why we don't see any 147 linebackers.

Boxing is a strange beast in that we have 300lb butterballs competing in the same sport (often times on the same card) as 105lb waifs. We don't really get to see that in any other sport, so the comparison doesn't get made.

Thread Information