Thread: How would a Prime Cotto and Margarito do vs todays Elite Welterweights

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How would a Prime Cotto and Margarito do vs todays Elite Welterweights

there are two threads around at the minute that really get my goat

the price or molina thread and this one

on the other thread people argue Teper would have definitely beaten price, peds or no peds despite his failure being one of the worse in history, and on this thread someone mentions margarito and everyone is in full agreement that he'd have been shit if it wasn't for the loaded gloves

Jesus wept
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How would a Prime Cotto and Margarito do vs todays Elite Welterweights

I'd pay to see early Cotto at 140 face and beat down a Broner. Margarito and Thurman would have been a war.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

on the other thread people argue Teper would have definitely beaten price, peds or no peds despite his failure being one of the worse in history, and on this thread someone mentions margarito and everyone is in full agreement that he'd have been shit if it wasn't for the loaded gloves

Jesus wept

It's the way the fights went that leads people to think that. Price clearly was terrified of getting hit and got starched very early with one punch he left himself wide open for, attrition played virtually no role in that fight. It's possible Teper wouldn't have even been capable of fighting 2 spirited rounds without drugs, I've never seen him aside from that night, but it' also fair to assume Price was garbage and would have probably lost to anyone decent.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

Jesus wept

It's the way the fights went that leads people to think that. Price clearly was terrified of getting hit and got starched very early with one punch he left himself wide open for, attrition played virtually no role in that fight. It's possible Teper wouldn't have even been capable of fighting 2 spirited rounds without drugs, I've never seen him aside from that night, but it' also fair to assume Price was garbage and would have probably lost to anyone decent.
    a little harsh

do you think Teper would have got as far as he did without drugs? do you think the teper price fight would still have happened? what about martin rogan? how do you think he feels about it?

how about Margarito? what would have his career been like without the loaded gloves

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margarito would have been crap without his loaded gloves. We have 7 years of evidence. He has not won a single significant fight since his weapons were taken away. Every good fighter he has fought has beat the crap out of him. Because that's all he was, a guy with horrible footwork and an ability to take a punch. I'm not moronic enough to believe in hell but if i did believe in such stupid things I would be sure there is a spot set aside for him.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Margarito would have been crap without his loaded gloves. We have 7 years of evidence. He has not won a single significant fight since his weapons were taken away. Every good fighter he has fought has beat the crap out of him. Because that's all he was, a guy with horrible footwork and an ability to take a punch. I'm not moronic enough to believe in hell but if i did believe in such stupid things I would be sure there is a spot set aside for him.
    but teper would have still got to the point where he was when he KOed price? never mind KOing Price?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

Jesus wept

a little harsh

do you think Teper would have got as far as he did without drugs? do you think the teper price fight would still have happened? what about martin rogan? how do you think he feels about it?

how about Margarito? what would have his career been like without the loaded gloves

As I said I haven't seen Teper aside from that fight, so no idea, but I suspect he wasn't very formidable fighter even on drugs, and he really never got anywhere anyways did he. I understand the inconsistency you're pointing out and don't disagree in principle, but the way he beat Price still makes the big guy look very poor. Using another crap fighter in Rogan to make your argument doesn't really provide any contrast. We'll see what happens if/when Price fights another decent opponent, I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Cotto was at his best at light welter until he struggled to make weight and then got knocked down. Cotto did struggle with big welters so Thurman/Brooks would cause issues.

Just shows you how good Cotto was to win a title at light middle.

Yeah, people forget Cotto's fights at 140. His frame was perfect for that weight. Welter was pushing it.
    What about Prime Cotto v Crawford at 140lb? Now that would be good.

Oh yeah... excellent fight. Crawford's a terrific tactician and counterpuncher, but then so was Cotto in his prime.
    Cotto would of dropped the shot in the balls for sure

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Duke View Post
    Cotto was at his best at light welter until he struggled to make weight and then got knocked down. Cotto did struggle with big welters so Thurman/Brooks would cause issues.

Yeah, people forget Cotto's fights at 140. His frame was perfect for that weight. Welter was pushing it.

Oh yeah... excellent fight. Crawford's a terrific tactician and counterpuncher, but then so was Cotto in his prime.

Only if necessary, and at a strategic time.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Duke View Post

Only if necessary, and at a strategic time.
    Tito did the same.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto had more success at other weights then he did at ww he was never the man at that weight. Funny enough he became the lineal champ at 160 with out ever fighting there but that different story. Cotto best wins at 147 is Zab who kinda lost most of his big fights and Shane when he was 36 which was md very close fight. Cotto was good ww but i think 140 was more of better weight option 154 worked out because he had speed until he got owned by trout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've always thought of Cotto as a small welterweight so becoming a 4 division champion is a feat imo. Margarito on the other hand was just an extra ordinarily big welterweight the likes of Spence and Brook. Funny i remember here at Saddos when Margo stopped Cotto somebody even mentioned the Tijuana Tornado would destroy Tito and Oscar, lol. Bunch of flip floppers.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Thread Information