you're right. throws are nothing but fun. me and me training buddy have a focused workout where we only clinch. then we set up striking apps, throws and takedowns. i'm better at the throws than he is . he's better at takedowns though. but when you do them right, you can feel that their body weight doesn't resist you at all. mostly cause of the push pull tech. and when they get done correctly to you, as soon as you know whats going on, you're on the ground.
it's not exactly true that if you get thrown you're not getting up. if you know how to fall it's better
if you want to check out some throws, you should go to judoinfo.com they use a gi though so all you have to do is replace a hold on the gi with an underhook or overhook.
the one i really like is called Uchi-mata. i don't call it that. i just know how to do it
also i agree with you vanchilds that once you take a boxer to the ground, he's out of his game. basically, that whole argument boils down to what is "street effective" and i hate that argument because i know that i have no interest in getting in street fights. im an athlete and fighting is my sport. and while mma possibly comes the closest to street effective, it's boring to watch a ground and pound expert sit on their opponents chest and beat the hell out of them. aspects of fighting focusd by a set of rules is much more interesting to watch because the two athletes have to abide by the parameters of their fight. personally, boxing is not my favorite set of rules but it makes for a much more interesting fight than a street fight.