Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin v Daniel Jacobs - 18/3/17 MSG

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    GGG IS 36...and now he's not fighting welterweights anymore he needs to make that Canelo fight asap.

We all know who won but like I said before there's so much money involved in the Canelo fight, Jacobs had to knock him out to win.

Jacobs won tonight but I never expected Ward to get the decision against sergey...Sergey has not got a dance partner like Canelo so there's a big difference between the two.

Wrong decision but Jacobs will be back.

GGG is still a nice guy but he knows time is running out.

I think GGG was fighting a light heavyweight tonight
    That weight difference must have made it harder for him tonight.
    I had Jacobs winning that by a round but i don't agree that fighters should be allowed to pile on so much weight that they end up 1 or 2 weight divisions bigger than the opponent.

The rules were changed for a good reason after Arturo Gatti hospitalised/brain damaged an opponent after coming in huge at fight night.
    I caught this on a feed so I can't say for sure till i see the replay (but I had Golovkin winning because a lot of Danny's flurry and shots landed on the gloves... I think Jacobs was getting survival points from people.. but like i said i'm not sure at this point) .. Anyway, Jacobs could have been as high as a 180 during the fight, which explains the shouldering in and pushing off. Victor Conte, who was part of jacobs' camp.. spilled the beans. He was a light heavy this morning (176 an hour before he skipped the IBF weigh in)

Victor Conte speaks on Daniel Jacobs' fight weight - The Ring

Says it all really, the other sanctioning bodies need to follow the IBF ruling, on one hand they install weight divisions but on the other hand dismiss them like they don't matter - it's fucked up

That includes ex-BALCO ringleader Victor Conte, now working on the right side of the law as a nutrition and supplement consultant.
    “I predict Danny will be between 178-180 when he steps into the ring. He was at 176 at 8 a.m. this morning. Don’t be surprised if Danny does very well this evening. He had a tremendous training camp on the west coast. He spent the last four weeks of his training camp at my SNAC training facility in San Carlos, California. He is in the best shape of his life. He will be huge tonight when he steps into the ring! Danny will be big, fast and powerful. We will soon see how this all plays out.”
    Conte said he knew Friday night Jacobs would not be doing the morning of weight check, for the record.
    Indeed. Smartly played, perhaps, on paper by Jacobs. He can win four other belts off Golovkin tonight, so missing one wouldn’t wreck his mood.
    Now, should the sport be allowing one man to be a cruiserweight and his foe a super middleweight on fight night? I would say ideally no. Maybe time for all the sanctioning bodies to follow the IBF and institute the day of weight cap.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great fight. Not one of the Greatest or an ATG but a great fight nonetheless. I fail to see how it is anything but a vindication for Golovkin but can not say I am surprised that some are trying to literally rewrite history on the tail end of a fight GGG did not even lose. Sad negative rubbish. It seriously undermines any achievement of Jacobs to pretend that he lost narrowly to an overhyped one dimensional KO merchant.

Early doors Golovkin went about business as usual, but Jacobs was harder to tag and much taller and heavier with a range advantage that made it hard work. Credit to Jacobs he did a great job of peppering GGG with that up and down jab but his corners non stop exaltations to "fight fire with finesse" where always going to sell both fighters short. The myth of Golovkin having no defense is like a snowball that has gathered mass since his first fights without headgear, but you could clearly see even in this his hardest task yet that he slipped, feinted, leant, tilted and ducked at several opportune moments through the fight. This is what coming forward so relentlessly requires of a fighter particularly when in against an opponent with the one punch stopping power of Jacobs.

Round four even without the KD was a virtual whitewash and Jacobs had by then already squandered his opportunity to jump on GGG early and then failed to decisively turn the bout around in his favour. He won more of the late rounds bar 9 and 12 but 5,6 and 7 where too close and the right man won.

A rematch should include an IBF still upper weight rehydration clause or GGG should maybe try and force Oscars hand if they really think this fight has exposed him. The ridiculous idea touted somewhere here that Canelo would stop him with a body punch or outbox him is so far off the mark it hardly warrants a reply, but I will indulge whoever said it.

Do you really think that Golovkin is so fragile and exposed after last night that all it is going to take to beat him is a single wonder punch from a fighter that has yet to fight far lesser fighters in the same weight class?

Golovkin could have lost last night and it still would not have made his career much less impressive. People moan about wanting fearless champions willing to do anything, including travel into the opponents back yard and taking less than stellar pay days in order to unify and fight the best, and then when they turn up they can't wait to tear them down and dismiss them as charlatans.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Had Jacobs winning a close fight. I think it is clear he won though. I didn't see him dominating at any point as some here saw. I think in a rematch Jacobs has more options but GGG makes it hard to keep a game plan.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had Jacobs the winner but there were some very close rounds.
    GGG is a week off 35 age may be catching up,! Jacobs boxed used his brain GGG done a lot of stalking and not much landing.
    A good fight not a great one but Jacobs well worth a rematch.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    I honestly think canelo will beat golovkin now.. golovkin has a lot of good stuff going for him... he really doesnt like body shots and canelo is great at those, golovkin cuts of the ring well, canelo doesnt but will he need to when fighting someone like golovkin ? I think canelo stops golovkin

I think this was the right decision by the judges btw

I'm hoping Canelo sees it the same way as you.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I honestly think canelo will beat golovkin now.. golovkin has a lot of good stuff going for him... he really doesnt like body shots and canelo is great at those, golovkin cuts of the ring well, canelo doesnt but will he need to when fighting someone like golovkin ? I think canelo stops golovkin

So do I because GGG wrecks Canelo if they get in the ring. Style wise Canelo offers very little resistance against GGG.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

So do I because GGG wrecks Canelo if they get in the ring. Style wise Canelo offers very little resistance against GGG.
    I think so too. Canelo fights in spurts and has slow feet. Golovkin should be able to bust him up and maybe stop him with his power. People are dissing GGG, but seem to underappreciate that Jacobs might be one of the best fighters in the world.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

I think so too. Canelo fights in spurts and has slow feet. Golovkin should be able to bust him up and maybe stop him with his power. People are dissing GGG, but seem to underappreciate that Jacobs might be one of the best fighters in the world.
    Has Canelo ever even been hurt in a fight really and i do not think he has been dropped either. I am starting to think he going to have 15 pounds on GGG as well and if he can not hurt him he is going to be deep shit.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post

Has Canelo ever even been hurt in a fight really and i do not think he has been dropped either. I am starting to think he going to have 15 pounds on GGG as well and if he can not hurt him he is going to be deep shit.
    Canelo is sturdy and strong but a well placed body shot by GGG will render him useless.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo is sturdy and strong but a well placed body shot by GGG will render him useless.
    The same can happen the other way around because Jacobs was making GGG looking really uncomfortable with body shots. Body shots is Canelos thing and it not like he does not have the speed to land them either.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The same can happen the other way around because Jacobs was making GGG looking really uncomfortable with body shots. Body shots is Canelos thing and it not like he does not have the speed to land them either.
    GGG has fought tougher fighters than Canelo and Jacobs is one example. Alvarez has never faced a power puncher like GGG and his avoidance of the match shows that he is running scared. Lets hope he agrees with you though.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He isn't hard to hit and Golovkin will be the hardest puncher he has faced. I struggle to see Golovkin not having an effect on that head. Golovkin hurts anyone he gets in there with. Jacobs did well because he can move and is smart. I don't think Canelo is a smart fighter.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG has fought tougher fighters than Canelo and Jacobs is one example. Alvarez has never faced a power puncher like GGG and his avoidance of the match shows that he is running scared. Lets hope he agrees with you though.
    See this is were i disagree with you i will give you Jacobs but in my eyes he lost that fight anyway. As for Canelo he has faced Cotto, Lara and Trout that better then GGG wins out side the last fight with Jacobs. Not to mention I favor Canelo as durable then Jacobs and come fight night he going to weigh more then he did i am just saying. As for him avoiding the fight that is Oscar and if he wins against him it was good game plan waiting Canelo still pretty young.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is not Oscar that is avoiding GGG, it is clearly Canelo.

Thread Information