Default Re: Cotto..just retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yeah damn that Cotto.

The nerve... trying to maximize the financial gain he can get from a brutal sport, to which he's devoted his blood and sweat for years. Why can't he follow the example of every other fighter out there, who fight not for the money, but only for the fun of it. As their careers near an end, they say "fuck it", and willingly leave millions on the table.
    He's welcome to do that and people are welcome not to buy.

Just like with any other fighter.
    For sure. If he wants to make the money that Roc Nation has guaranteed him he needs to fight someone credible. I personally think he's hanging on in the hope that he can get a Canelo rematch.

Whatever he decides to do, I won't begrudge him. I've seen a hell of a lot worse career enders.
    Let's just say he's earned his paychecks throughout the years.
    He has earned his paychecks and thus made a lot of money from the sport, but that doesn't justify trying to fleece fans just because his heart is no longer in it and he wants to coast on the way out. If that's his attitude then show the fans some respect and retire already.

Which brings us back to Alpha and post # 10.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No fighter "owes" the fans anything, if they make silly fights its up to people not to buy them or whatever, and in any case it's still a fight. It's just funny that people will complain about reasonable match ups that they then stream or watch later or whatever. If Cotto vs Marquez really becomes a go, it's still a bit interesting I'd say. Sure Marquez is old and undersized, but they are both still extremely good boxers and proud men, I'd be interested to see how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A big part of fighting and life is knowing how to pick your battles. I think Cotto is doing just fine.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    No fighter "owes" the fans anything, if they make silly fights its up to people not to buy them or whatever, and in any case it's still a fight. It's just funny that people will complain about reasonable match ups that they then stream or watch later or whatever. If Cotto vs Marquez really becomes a go, it's still a bit interesting I'd say. Sure Marquez is old and undersized, but they are both still extremely good boxers and proud men, I'd be interested to see how it goes.
    It's a sad matchup though. Cotto would be fighting a massively inactive, super old, super bloated Marquez who looked old against Bradley. Cotto doesn't owe anybody anything, but he should at least fight an active fighter in his own weight class. Marquez will be 44 and inactive for 3 years if they were to fight and Marquez would likely be doing it at a silly weight. It's worse than these Canelo/Golovkin matchups by a long, long way.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    It's a sad matchup though. Cotto would be fighting a massively inactive, super old, super bloated Marquez who looked old against Bradley. Cotto doesn't owe anybody anything, but he should at least fight an active fighter in his own weight class. Marquez will be 44 and inactive for 3 years if they were to fight and Marquez would likely be doing it at a silly weight. It's worse than these Canelo/Golovkin matchups by a long, long way.

You're probably right and it's a big question mark where Marquez would be at fighting again, but I think stylistically it's still a fight that could be very good. The fight would have been a real treat some years ago, that's for sure.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    He still owes a Roc Nation a fight to finish out his contract. Seeing as he was guaranteed 15mil per fight on the 3 fight deal by Roc Nation, they probably want something that's going to sell which is why kirkland was mysteriously injured (broken nose) and never rescheduled when the fight wasn't selling because the fans knew kirkland was a shell.
    This is it. He's guaranteed at least one more massive payday so he's going to take it. That was an unbelievable contract he was given -- I didn't know how many fights were left on it and I thought he was guaranteed even more than that per fight but either way it's not something he's going to walk away from. RN aren't going to get other promoters matching their guys against their fighters easily but TR probably have options on Marquez and would happily take a slice of whatever Cotto-Marquez makes seeing as it's almost certainly JMM's last fight should he take it. HBO PPV?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would actually quite like to see marquez v cotto, it doesnt mean a huge amount now but they are both great fighters/legends and both are very good pros and keep themselves in good condition/have a good doctor :S, I think even at the advanced age of 44 marquez can still be a threat. If I dont like it i dont have to watch it, this one at least interests me a bit, a lot more than cotto v kirkland :S

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great fighters but Marquez has not fought for 3 years, is too small and has a dodgy knee. At a lower weight closer to JMM s optimum and in their prime I think he boxes rings around Cotto, makes him miss, and wins a wide points decision, but now? Now I think even a past his best, but healthy big Cotto stops him. And Juan deserves better. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    No one wants to see you fight an old Marquez..get a decent opponent or fight the winner of Brook vs Spence.
    Did he take your advice ?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    No one wants to see you fight an old Marquez..get a decent opponent or fight the winner of Brook vs Spence.
    Did he take your advice ?
    He called me last night and said he wants the Canelo rematch.

Cotto can be stubborn on Mondays.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never his biggest fan but the man has earned his money fights like ever other great has. I sucks to see them fight lower level but with that much money still up for grabs and no retirement shit needs to happen.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never his biggest fan but the man has earned his money fights like ever other great has. It sucks to see them fight lower level but with that much money still up for grabs and no retirement shit needs to happen.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not really interested in the Marquez fight at this stage. A few years back for sure. Now it would resemble the Martinez bout with Marquez carrying serious injuries; not to mention his inactivity. If it does happen anything over 147 would be pointless. He should be targeting Bradley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd call it a near circus event if Marquez was to be carted in off forever layoff, injury and against a guy who fought at middleweight. Well kind of middleweight but still. The play up would be more "Mexican-Puerto Rico rivalry" based on names alone than actual meaningful and competitive match up respectfully. I'd rather see legends build and gear up for one last relevant high championship level go than just watch them wandering in shadows simply to cancel each other out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I'd call it a near circus event if Marquez was to be carted in off forever layoff, injury and against a guy who fought at middleweight. Well kind of middleweight but still. The play up would be more "Mexican-Puerto Rico rivalry" based on names alone than actual meaningful and competitive match up respectfully. I'd rather see legends build and gear up for one last relevant high championship level go than just watch them wandering in shadows simply to cancel each other out.
    Yea but with there being no more time for them and so much money to get out of it hard not to do it. I mean they got kids to make sure they set up and as Cotto and Jmm have no more real income after this career is over.

Thread Information