Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who win Hagler v Golovkin

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marvin Hagler v Gennady Golovkin

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Marvin Hagler v Gennady Golovkin

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    you can never have a debate like this on a boxing forum or with boxing fans and get an accurate answer, even with those that are not really old enough to have experienced hagler

Boxing is a nostalgic sport and Hagler would win every single time, when in reality he would probably be knocked out like most of Golovkins other opponents
    You think Hagler would be knocked out by GGG? Or were you just saying that people automatically choose fighters of previous generations for reasons related to nostalgia. Can see your point regarding nostalgia clouding judgement. Completely disagree that Hagler is stopped by any middleweight who ever lived, let alone GGG.

El Kabong Guest

Any middleweight who ever lived? So let's say a Middleweight RJJ fought Hagler....RJJ wouldn't be able to stop him? Ezzard Charles as a middleweight wouldn't stop him? I just find that a bit hard to believe. Hagler was solid and had a granite chin, but un-knock-out-able I don't think he was.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Any middleweight who ever lived? So let's say a Middleweight RJJ fought Hagler....RJJ wouldn't be able to stop him? Ezzard Charles as a middleweight wouldn't stop him? I just find that a bit hard to believe. Hagler was solid and had a granite chin, but un-knock-out-able I don't think he was.
    I don't see Roy stopping him. I just don't see it. At best Roy would outspeed him similar to his fights vs Hop and Toney. He never had either of those two in trouble and I don't see either having a better chin than Hagler.

Charles was a great fighter, in my opinion the GOAT at light heavy, but haven't seen much film of him at 160. He peaked at 175, so that leads me to believe that his strength/power may have suffered at 160. Things just "click" for certain fighters at certain weights. Hagler clicked at 160, and Charles clicked at 175. I don't see either being stopped at either weight by anyone.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG does his best work when the opponent takes time off. When would he get his best work done against Hagler? Bad matchup for GGG

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is it over 12 or 15 ?

I don't see anyone stopping Golovkin either but there are many fighters who seem unknockoutable until it happens. My head says Hagler on points because of his ability to readjust and find angles but maybe Gennady is more Marvelous than Marvin where heart is concerned, hard to tell until someone is able to really put it on him.

Hagler- close points decision.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have seen both fighters in their time frame an Marvin aka the worker and man of war vs. the modern man of war but GGG takes coffee breaks during his defenses. He can't with Marvin but if he took his break after the fight, I feel war would have a new definition.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hagler's chin was one of the best in history, any fighter who can withstand the right hand of Hearns is unstoppable.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Hagler's chin was one of the best in history, any fighter who can withstand the right hand of Hearns is unstoppable.
    OK, I understand that, I accept that, BUT just because I'm me how's about we consider just for a second Tommy Hearns' legs in the Hagler fight. It is well known that Tommy's legs were in poor shape in that fight ergo the toe to toe war we got because Tommy couldn't move, but that being the case, if your legs are injured at all it's going to take SOMETHING away from your power because power punchers punch with their entire body, feet all the way to the knuckles, Tommy didn't have his legs at 100% and therefore his power wasn't at 100%.....Marvin Hagler had some set of whiskers and maybe who knows, maybe if Tommy is 100% healthy maybe Marvin still looks Marvelous taking those shots but who knows, it's certainly something to consider.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    OK, I understand that, I accept that, BUT just because I'm me how's about we consider just for a second Tommy Hearns' legs in the Hagler fight. It is well known that Tommy's legs were in poor shape in that fight ergo the toe to toe war we got because Tommy couldn't move, but that being the case, if your legs are injured at all it's going to take SOMETHING away from your power because power punchers punch with their entire body, feet all the way to the knuckles, Tommy didn't have his legs at 100% and therefore his power wasn't at 100%.....Marvin Hagler had some set of whiskers and maybe who knows, maybe if Tommy is 100% healthy maybe Marvin still looks Marvelous taking those shots but who knows, it's certainly something to consider.
    I believe Hearns went for broke earlier while he still had power of his legs and it sliced Hagler's head.

If Hagler was going to be stopped it would be for that or being stopped standing on his feet like La Motta.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Come on this is a no-brainer. You could hit Marvelous Marvin Hagler with the kitchen sink nothing would stop that guy. John the Beast mugabi hit just as hard as Triple G take a look at some of the shots that we landed period no way can Triple G stop Hagler from coming forward absolutely nobody could stop her from coming forward. Triple G is No Sugar Ray Leonard. Only a Sugar Ray Leonard can win that fight. Marvelous Marvin Hagler would beat the living crap and Daylights out of this guy slowly but surely by about the ninth round Triple G would be down on the floor crying with cracked ribs

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't see GGG hurting Hagler but I do see Hagler hurting GGG. That and like @Spicoli says his ability to turn it up a notch makes for a hard night for Golovkin. Hagler fought a lot of tough opposition even before getting a shot. I just don't see GGG being able to hang with The Marvelous One as the fight progressed.
    Hagler has the options available to him from what I've seen of Golovkin when he was actually pressed hard. Can see him honestly staying one step ahead as it goes deep and staying smart. I'd be more worried about his body than his head though.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is well known that Tommy's legs were in poor shape in that fight ergo the toe to toe war we got because Tommy couldn't move, but that being the case, if your legs are injured at all it's going to take SOMETHING away from your power.

In the dressing room just before the fight, one of Tommy's buddies (a guy called Skidoo) was giving his legs a rubdown. He thought he was trying to help, but it warms down the muscles and puts them into recovery mode.

Thats the last thing you want BEFORE a fight.

Manny Stewart went completely apeshit and threw all the guys out of the dressing room. When they were alone, Manny told Tommy to change his tactics and jump on Hagler straight away.

He didn't tell him that his legs were going to gas out after the rubdown, to avoid putting doubt in his boxer's mind. Tommy didn't have any leg injury.

By that point in his career, Hearns was in love with his straight right. He wanted to absolutely devastate Hagler and he was confident he would do it, so he loved Manny's advice and certainly took it.

Funnily enough, Tommy was a master boxer and once he had severely cut Hagler, he could have gone on his bike for a couple of rounds and the ref would have stopped the fight.

Problem is, in his mind, Tommy was just a right hand and nothing else in that fight.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can buy an argument that GGG could beat hagler (although I disagree), but you could never get me to buy an argument that GGG would KO him. Hagler has a top notch chin. He got hit by huge shots during his career. Shots that would have put out most other fighters and he just walked through them unfazed.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    It is well known that Tommy's legs were in poor shape in that fight ergo the toe to toe war we got because Tommy couldn't move, but that being the case, if your legs are injured at all it's going to take SOMETHING away from your power.

In the dressing room just before the fight, one of Tommy's buddies (a guy called Skidoo) was giving his legs a rubdown. He thought he was trying to help, but it warms down the muscles and puts them into recovery mode.

Thats the last thing you want BEFORE a fight.

Manny Stewart went completely apeshit and threw all the guys out of the dressing room. When they were alone, Manny told Tommy to change his tactics and jump on Hagler straight away.

He didn't tell him that his legs were going to gas out after the rubdown, to avoid putting doubt in his boxer's mind. Tommy didn't have any leg injury.

By that point in his career, Hearns was in love with his straight right. He wanted to absolutely devastate Hagler and he was confident he would do it, so he loved Manny's advice and certainly took it.

Funnily enough, Tommy was a master boxer and once he had severely cut Hagler, he could have gone on his bike for a couple of rounds and the ref would have stopped the fight.

Problem is, in his mind, Tommy was just a right hand and nothing else in that fight.
    Tommy also injured, if not broke, that right hand when it landed on Hagler's hard head.

Just as I do not see Hagler being stopped I do not see GGG being stopped. If a full blown cruiser weight who can punch could not hurt Golovkin then Hagler would not either.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be a small list of middleweights that would have been able to stop Hagler. Jackson, Ketchel, McClellan, Benn, Graziano, Hearns, Robinson, Jones Jr., Fitzsimmons, Langford, Fernandez. Possibly a few more I'd give a chance. Not saying these guys would knock him out but if they landed clean they could have.

Thread Information