Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shawn Porter vs. Andre Berto

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I had no problems getting on the site. I don't think Porter was intentionally trying to be dirty. It was just the way their styles clashed. Both guys coming forward. Porter is super aggressive.

It seems we're always making excuses for the guy who goes out and tries real hard. As long as Porter isn't warned/ penalized about using his head as a weapon, intentional or not, he's going to keep on doing it. Did you catch what he said after the fight. "Uhh.. yeah, we gotta work on that headbutting." Gee..... ya THINK?!? I don't know... I just abhor his fighting style. It's the case where you know exactly what kind of fight you're gonna watch coming in, and he doesn't disappoint. To each his own, I guess.....
    I'm not much of a fan of his style and I think if he took a half step back at times he could be much more effective. He has a good jab that when used gets him in range to unload to the body. He always comes to fight tho, is always in excellent shape, gives 110% and will push the other guy to the brink. I respect that. There's a ref for a reason.

That's the thing. It's not like he doesn't have any skills at all. I think that's what makes it even more maddening. That "half step back" point is important and key. His trainer should be all over that one. Then again it's hard to blame the trainer. Who knows, he probably tells/ teaches Porter the same thing in the gym, and Porter forgets it all half a second into the fight. He's got that good jab as well. And yes, he always comes to fight. Kind of reminds me of Tim Bradley on steroids. Sadly, yes.... it always comes back to the ref. This guy, other than making the doctors climb the steps more than they ever had, didn't really do a good job of controlling the fight, IMO.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like watching porter fight, you know you are going to be watching something fast paced and brutal
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If "brutal" means filled with headbutts, stoppages for doctor examinations, lack of clean crisp punches, and having the other guy complaining all the time..... then I'll stick with fast paced.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If "brutal" means filled with headbutts, stoppages for doctor examinations, lack of clean crisp punches, and having the other guy complaining all the time..... then I'll stick with fast paced.
    Against Brook, Porter made the fight ugly and Kell won when he had the distance to box and using his skills.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Against Brook, Porter made the fight ugly and Kell won when he had the distance to box and using his skills.

Yes... and both were cut from accidental headbutts in different rounds. Porter doesn't know any other way to fight.

I never saw the fight between Porter and Devon Alexander.... but that must've been a hoot.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are 2 safe places in boxing. Inside range and outside range. Porter's strength as a fighter is he is a melted down naturally larger man giving him a strength advantage generally.(rather common at WW right now). So he wants to impose his strength and his defense is marginal so he doesn't want to be at range. So he goes inside. Porter knows he roughs people up and he knows why, he isn't going to change. He does it on purpose. Maybe he doesn't want cuts and major head clashes. But he wants the guy fearful of his head rather than hitting him.

I'm with Titofan here. I don't see it as fast paced with all the stoppages. And I don't find dirty boxing particularly appealing in any way. Single clever dirty techniques, okay. But an entire dirty approach to the sport, no thanks. Similarly I like young B-Hop doing little dirty things but hated old B-Hop who adjusted to keep from being countered by making the opponent defend against his head.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

B-Hop and Porter and Holyfield... So dirty with their heads!

Thread Information