Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Groves v Degale 2

Who want's the rematch?
    I'd love to see it as the first fight was brilliant.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Groves v Degale 2

GEORGE GROVES is out to prove he is the best super-middleweight in the division after finally winning a world title at the fourth attempt.
    But the Londoner fired off a warning to foe and current IBF champion James DeGale that he will only give him a rematch if the deal is right.
    Groves, 29, stopped Russian Fedor Chudinov in the sixth round of a bruising battle at Bramall Lane on Saturday night.

And after losing twice to former IBF and WBA champion Carl Froch, as well as dropping a points decision to ex-WBC title holder Badou Jack, Groves finally achieved his dream. “I am still waiting for the true feelings of a world champion to kick in, I feel numb,” said Groves, who dedicated the world title to Eduard Gutknecht after he was left needing life-long care following their fight in Wembley. “A life’s work was achieved. I was seven years old when I first dreamed of becoming a world champion. “It’s been a long hard road, I made mistakes and made it hard for myself but all of that combined has made it a lot more sweet now. “Now I have to find some new goals and achieve so much more. “I am going to be such a better rounded human being as well as fighter because I can put the demons to bed.” The focus will now be on whether Groves will face fellow Londoner and former amateur gym-mate DeGale, who he beat in 2011 as a pro and in 2007 as an amateur. Groves’ promoter Kalle Sauerland believes the fight could headline a big Wembley Stadium card next summer and revealed that talks took place for the pair to meet before his man got a shot at Chudinov. But there were disagreements over the purse split and Groves warned DeGale that they only way he will fight him again is if he gets the deal he wants. He said: “I’m world champion and can have any fight I want after this. Maybe I’ll beat my old mate James, that’s always a comfortable one. “Ultimately we both have a super fight if we fight each other. If we don’t then we can both be involved in big fights but not a super fight. We will see. “I’m not really that fussed about fighting DeGale, I want to enjoy my world title first. I’m sure I’ll beat him again but the deal has to be right for me. “If it’s not then we can wait until next year or a bit longer. He’s the one ready to cash out, he’s the one saying he doesn’t want to fight anymore. “I don’t think it’s an easy one to make against DeGale because he is not an easy person to deal with. “I’d like that fight but have to wait and see. I’ve beaten him twice already. “It’s a fight that people would enjoy, a fight that everyone would like to see again. If we can make it happen then we will.”

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Who want's the rematch?
    I'd love to see it as the first fight was brilliant.
    It's a great fight. It has everything , History, two very different personalities and fighting styles and the hint of unfinished business. I say Hint because if Groves beats him again thats 3
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are some big domestic fights to be made against De Gale, Smith, Eubank Junior and dare I say it Froch with his ego!

Groves will get better now and use his skills better.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best thing about the other night was the reception Groves got, it was surprising how interested the fans were (who obviously were there for Brook). He was absoultely chuffed over it. Always looks great when Brit fans go all full blown patriotic for the undercard bods.

Groves accepted the small cut when trying to make a deal with DeGale earlier in the year (it's all caught live on an IFL interview) but that's obviously changed now he has a belt.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's no stars in the supermiddle division but some excellent young guns coming through - Benavidez, Ramirez, Murata, C.Smith, Eubank jr etc

Definitely the biggest fight in the division (wonga especially) is a unification between Groves-DeGale.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So does this make David Benavidez (USA) Groves WBA mandatory now?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The winner of Dirrell-Smith have to face Benavidez.

Imagine what Eddie thought about that. All the wheeling and dealing to get Smith a title then from out of nowhere pops up some unknown young killer you have to fight (if they win/keep the title, of course).

Whilst Paul Smith ponces about doing a bit of comms and bashing up fat Latvians in his spare time - the WBA give him a shot every other week. Boxing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be interesting.

I do think that DeGale is a better, more complete fighter than Groves ...... but Booth and Groves pulled off a masterful psychological con job on DeGale. They also realised that DeGale would never fire shots off unless his feet were set, which was the basis for all of Groves' work in the fight.

it looks to me that DeGale has fixed that flaw now
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    It would be interesting.

I do think that DeGale is a better, more complete fighter than Groves ...... but Booth and Groves pulled off a masterful psychological con job on DeGale. They also realised that DeGale would never fire shots off unless his feet were set, which was the basis for all of Groves' work in the fight.

it looks to me that DeGale has fixed that flaw now
    De Gale is better now and Groves is as good as he is going to be. It will be another close fight. Just feel Groves has the psychological dominance over De Gale and will win.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

a common opponent of recent times in Bundu Jack

Groves lost a close decision and could have won it, degale got a draw but was beaten up for most of the fight, and looked a mess at the end

I think those fights alone suggest there is still nothing in it and if I was to swing one way, id swing towards Groves
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IBF super-middleweight champion James DeGale expects to resume fighting before end of year after surgery

James DeGale expects to resume fighting before the end of the year after announcing he is to undergo shoulder surgery on Wednesday.

The IBF super-middleweight champion has revealed that he was hurt during the build-up to his points victory over Rogelio Medina in April 2016 and carried the injury into his draw with Badou Jack in January.

He was willing to defend his title against Callum Smith with a July 1 showdown at The O2 having been agreed, only for his domestic rival to opt for a shot at the vacant WBC belt against Anthony Dirrell in September.

"It has been a frustrating few months since I drew with Badou Jack in New York, and I had hoped to have announced my next opponent by now," DeGale told The Mirror.

"But tomorrow (Wednesday) I will have surgery on my right shoulder that will mean I will be out of the ring for a while.

"I suffered the injury several weeks before I fought Rogelio Medina but decided to fight through the pain, as I did earlier this year against Badou Jack.

"I was only operating at 60 to 70 per cent however and that showed against Jack. Thankfully I've been good enough to get away with not being at my best, but I was almost found out in New York.

"The operation is for 'a scrape and tighten up', or a 'diagnostic arthroscopy and ACJ stabilisation' to give it its medical term.

"Within eight to 10 weeks I should be able to spar. I will definitely be able to fight before the end of the year.

"I've been plagued by injuries for the last few years. These haven't been niggles, they've all required operations.

"People have been commenting on my performances - saying I wasn't fit or that I wasn't at my best - but it's been a long time since I've gone into a ring at 100 per cent."

An obvious future opponent for DeGale is George Groves in a rematch to their 2011 clash that was won by his old rival via a majority decision.

Groves is now WBA champion after stopping Fedor Chudinov last month, but DeGale was unimpressed by the performance and insists a second instalment is far from certain.

"I didn't think Groves looked great. He didn't fight the best world champion and I think Groves has gone backwards," DeGale said.

"I'm not being disrespectful but he's not got the same sharpness or attitude he used to. I don't think he deserves a 50/50 split.

"Negotiations will be difficult and the terms will have to be right for the fight to be made."

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/sport/...cid=spartanntp

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Disagree with Degale on 2 points. No matter what the cards said he was found out by Jack

And 2 Groves has had good form. Would love to see a rematch. But I suspect negotiations will be difficult.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Disagree with Degale on 2 points. No matter what the cards said he was found out by Jack

And 2 Groves has had good form. Would love to see a rematch. But I suspect negotiations will be difficult.
    Actually think it will be the opposite. Both are not tied to any particular tv network or promoter.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"I'm not being disrespectful but he's not got the same sharpness or attitude he used to. I don't think he deserves a 50/50 split.
    Yeah god damn the attitude of that dude who had 3 world title shots and just didn't give up until against all odds managed to get a 4th shot to achieve his dream.

His attitude stinks these days I tell ya.

Thread Information