25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: John David Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    What's the riff all about? I'Ve been dead busy working the equivalent of 2 x full times for the summer intensive classes (I swear, I'll never give 2 intensive classes at the same time ever again) and apparently that I've missed something pretty odd. ?
    Ok.. In a nutshell basically what happened was after the first fight around January there was contact between John David Jackson and Andre Ward's camp. Jackson said they contacted him first. Ward's Camp of course said that Jackson came to them looking to pitch his services. Afterwards in an interview, Jackson said if they gave him Fort Knox he probably would have jumped to Team warm but of course they didn't meet his price for breaking his loyalty to kovalev. Ward's Camp says that they were willing to help Jackson out by employing him because kovalev was abusive to him after the loss. Gamesmanship by team Ward? Something Shady by John David Jackson? We're all left to be the judge.

So some of us are thrown a little by the fact that there is a price on John David Jackson's loyalty in the way he worded it. Is Jackson a straight shooter? Well he admitted there was a price.... So the question for me is why go there pitching services if he was just going to say no anyway? Usually somebody that makes an offer is willing to haggle. The other question I have is that a team Ward is so sure that the second fight is going to be so much easier and that they won the first fight handily, why would you be willing to throw money away just to jeopardize the other persons camp especially considering how cheap and penny-pinching Ward and Roc Nation have been in the past. With every interview new details seemed to emerge from Ward's mouth about the situation and kovalev camp before he acts indifferent and disinterested and changes the subject.

Thanks a lot for the nutshell, now I see clear. There are many dubious things in the whole thing:

1) Jackson admitting Fort Knox could have done it throws some shadows over his loyalty ANd professionalism. If he meant that he'd jump ship for a lot of money and not that he meant that his price was way too high (aka Fort Knox) to break his loyalty.

2) Why in hell would Ward seek for him? He has had quite the hell of a ride with Hunter.

It's all very dubious, I gotta agree.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    What's the riff all about? I'Ve been dead busy working the equivalent of 2 x full times for the summer intensive classes (I swear, I'll never give 2 intensive classes at the same time ever again) and apparently that I've missed something pretty odd. ?
    Ok.. In a nutshell basically what happened was after the first fight around January there was contact between John David Jackson and Andre Ward's camp. Jackson said they contacted him first. Ward's Camp of course said that Jackson came to them looking to pitch his services. Afterwards in an interview, Jackson said if they gave him Fort Knox he probably would have jumped to Team warm but of course they didn't meet his price for breaking his loyalty to kovalev. Ward's Camp says that they were willing to help Jackson out by employing him because kovalev was abusive to him after the loss. Gamesmanship by team Ward? Something Shady by John David Jackson? We're all left to be the judge.

So some of us are thrown a little by the fact that there is a price on John David Jackson's loyalty in the way he worded it. Is Jackson a straight shooter? Well he admitted there was a price.... So the question for me is why go there pitching services if he was just going to say no anyway? Usually somebody that makes an offer is willing to haggle. The other question I have is that a team Ward is so sure that the second fight is going to be so much easier and that they won the first fight handily, why would you be willing to throw money away just to jeopardize the other persons camp especially considering how cheap and penny-pinching Ward and Roc Nation have been in the past. With every interview new details seemed to emerge from Ward's mouth about the situation and kovalev camp before he acts indifferent and disinterested and changes the subject.

Thanks a lot for the nutshell, now I see clear. There are many dubious things in the whole thing:

1) Jackson admitting Fort Knox could have done it throws some shadows over his loyalty ANd professionalism. If he meant that he'd jump ship for a lot of money and not that he meant that his price was way too high (aka Fort Knox) to break his loyalty.

2) Why in hell would Ward seek for him? He has had quite the hell of a ride with Hunter.

It's all very dubious, I gotta agree.
    From what I gather and regardless of what one might think of him as a trainer it wouldn't be first time hinting at or actually jumping ship. In fairness he's certainly not the first to do so either. Jackson was training Rances Barthelemy prior to his first fight with Mendez and was "approached" to train fighters from Iron Mike production. At first he refused to train Argenis Mendez because he wanted to be there for Barthelemy..loyalty and all on top of then having to pay out ...but it sounds like he met again with those who sought him out and 'made a deal' to leave Rances and train Mendez. Has to be a gut punch to a fighter. Barthelemy found his own consolation though as he spectacularly knocked Mendez out!

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched 24/7 but have not seen it mentioned. Is it part of the promotion hype?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it was intended to be of part of the original hype, but I don't think the fights promoting itself like they thought it would. They thought a close decision should be a sure thing for rematch money. I don't think they counted on a lot of people being soured on this fight and the add the GGG Jacobs fight and stuff (shaving down margins and storytelling controversies to set up dramatic showdowns and rematches) like this is just happening way too often. Add to that the people that got fleeced on the Canelo/Junior Sham and everyone's tightening the purse straps.

This happened supposedly around January. But I think they're grasping at straws now to push the bad blood angle after the no show by ward at the face off taping. The alleged no show by Kovalev at the the ringside blurb interview opportunity. If you wanted bad blood, face off could have given everyone that. The promotional companies going tit for tat with non cooperating. The prospects of this fight are not as good as planned I think.

Everyone saw how the first fight went and I think we're nearing a point where there's almost an expectation of a guarantee on a good fight with the pure amount of BS being spread by the industry. Every once in a while you get a glimmer of hope from a fight like AJ vs Klitschsko and it almost makes you forget stuff like "Marinate"... Mayweather training to break a boxing record with a guy who doesn't box, Pacquiao fighting Horn, Canelo having a rematch clause in the agreement with GGG only if Canelo loses... So I cant blame the fans if they don't buy kovalev's claim of over training for the first fight and gassing... and expect that Ward will start the hug and slug early this time and drag Kovalev down into the mire where he'll gets no help from the ref and the judges are already looking to follow suit with the those from the first fight... barring a KO from Kovalev (which is really the outcome people would probably find worth the money)
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Hanging his hat alone on what Kovalev shows today after years is ratable. Jackson is written all over Kovalev top notch jab and the subtleties he shows in footwork. Not to mention not falling in love with his power. Or snapping in a crowded hotel lobby because the elevator is slow . Seriously Kov reminds you of a guy but, moving on. He's a teaching trainer with career depth and was taught under massive wings also by both Benton and Steward. Roach has respect but they can't all find gems like a near one armed brawler named Pacquiao and ride that light from star to star. Jackson is finding his nitch and improves majority of guys he works with fight to fight. Save for Stevenson who he watched be ko'd..and we're ok with that .
    To me the guy is no different than Buddy McGirt, I mean not a HORRIBLE trainer by any stretch, not a superstar trainer, just kind of average pro trainer.

I think Ronnie Shields could do a better job with Kov than JDJ but that's me and I rate Shields' work better but that's just me I guess

Thread Information