Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Cooney could have beaten Weaver for WBA Title!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cooney could have beaten Weaver for WBA Title!

I sincerely believed that. The night he fought Lyle, the same card had a title fight with Holmes and Weaver, both WBC and WBA champs respctively, Cooney could have been in there with Weaver.

I always wondered why some guys only got one title fight- guys like Golota, Tua and Cooney come to mind. They only got one title fight. But guys like Chris Byrd, David Ruiz, David Haye, Evander Holyfield, got multiple title shots and then some.

Not fair!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cooney could have beaten Weaver for WBA Title!

Golota had 4 shots at the title. With LL which he shouldn't have received coming off consecutive DQ losses. Then they started to build him back up until he was KOed by Grant. 2 fights later he had a NC vs Tyson then a couple bums before a title shot vs Byrd which they drew. Then a title shot vs Ruiz which he lost and a title shot vs Brewster which he lost. So 4 shots and none really deserved, unfair, yes, but exactly opposite of the way you suggest it was unfair. He was unfairly rewarded with undeserved title opportunities not unfairly denied.

As for Quarry, I had to look that up. But it is quite clear why he only got one shot if you look at his record. It rather consistently goes moving up up up, lose, begin a rebuild,moving up up up, lose begin a rebuild. He got right there to where next fight probably would have been a title shot repeatedly, maybe one more good win. But when he'd get to that level he lost.

As for the point of the thread. Do you think picking up a belt would make him more respected? I'd suggest fighting good fighters matters far more than picking up a belt.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cooney went for the best fighter at the time probably to make the most money and become legitimately the main man at the weight. Normally you get more title shots if you are in with the right promoter, which is unfair.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Michael Spinks made Cooney look like dog shit. Coonwy beat up a very old Lyle, a very old Norton, a very old Jimmy Young, and got ***SMOKED*** by Old Man Foreman.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Golota had 4 shots at the title. With LL which he shouldn't have received coming off consecutive DQ losses. Then they started to build him back up until he was KOed by Grant. 2 fights later he had a NC vs Tyson then a couple bums before a title shot vs Byrd which they drew. Then a title shot vs Ruiz which he lost and a title shot vs Brewster which he lost. So 4 shots and none really deserved, unfair, yes, but exactly opposite of the way you suggest it was unfair. He was unfairly rewarded with undeserved title opportunities not unfairly denied.As for Quarry, I had to look that up. But it is quite clear why he only got one shot if you look at his record. It rather consistently goes moving up up up, lose, begin a rebuild,moving up up up, lose begin a rebuild. He got right there to where next fight probably would have been a title shot repeatedly, maybe one more good win. But when he'd get to that level he lost.As for the point of the thread. Do you think picking up a belt would make him more respected? I'd suggest fighting good fighters matters far more than picking up a belt.
    Felt Golota def won that Byrd fight. This thread is similar to my thoughts on had Tyson beaten Ruiz for the WBA belt would it have enhanced his legacy? I say yes, but only slightly.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Golota had 4 shots at the title. With LL which he shouldn't have received coming off consecutive DQ losses. Then they started to build him back up until he was KOed by Grant. 2 fights later he had a NC vs Tyson then a couple bums before a title shot vs Byrd which they drew. Then a title shot vs Ruiz which he lost and a title shot vs Brewster which he lost. So 4 shots and none really deserved, unfair, yes, but exactly opposite of the way you suggest it was unfair. He was unfairly rewarded with undeserved title opportunities not unfairly denied.As for Quarry, I had to look that up. But it is quite clear why he only got one shot if you look at his record. It rather consistently goes moving up up up, lose, begin a rebuild,moving up up up, lose begin a rebuild. He got right there to where next fight probably would have been a title shot repeatedly, maybe one more good win. But when he'd get to that level he lost.As for the point of the thread. Do you think picking up a belt would make him more respected? I'd suggest fighting good fighters matters far more than picking up a belt.
    Felt Golota def won that Byrd fight. This thread is similar to my thoughts on had Tyson beaten Ruiz for the WBA belt would it have enhanced his legacy? I say yes, but only slightly.
    For me it's all about who you fight. If there was one belt then a belt would matter. But as is you can go through 2/3 divisions cherry picking belts and it means less than cleaning out 1 if there are good opponents in that 1. Look at Broner, he'll never get 4 division respect because of his opponents. Hell, I respect him more for the Maidana loss than I do for the rest of his career(except how he ran from the ring) for the heart he showed in the fight. There are just too many belts to matter to me. It's all about opponents.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Golota beat both Byrd and Ruiz if I remember right. He should have received extra points just for having big mouth trainer Stoney removed from the corner of Ruiz. Big ranting fool . He really did have his shots and half of them were into his own foot career wise. Crazy to think the run he even managed to have after beating the hell out of Bowe and still finding ways to lose. A fighter especially at heavyweight get their 'shot' with every high level fight they have. Or you can be a Frans Botha who just made it fun taking a pounding. Tony Tucker? Oh he just 'knew a guy'

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golota had 4 shots at the title. With LL which he shouldn't have received coming off consecutive DQ losses. Then they started to build him back up until he was KOed by Grant. 2 fights later he had a NC vs Tyson then a couple bums before a title shot vs Byrd which they drew. Then a title shot vs Ruiz which he lost and a title shot vs Brewster which he lost. So 4 shots and none really deserved, unfair, yes, but exactly opposite of the way you suggest it was unfair. He was unfairly rewarded with undeserved title opportunities not unfairly denied.

As for Quarry, I had to look that up. But it is quite clear why he only got one shot if you look at his record. It rather consistently goes moving up up up, lose, begin a rebuild,moving up up up, lose begin a rebuild. He got right there to where next fight probably would have been a title shot repeatedly, maybe one more good win. But when he'd get to that level he lost.

As for the point of the thread. Do you think picking up a belt would make him more respected? I'd suggest fighting good fighters matters far more than picking up a belt.
    Thanks. I was gonna make an edit to this for Golota. Actually, Golota was set up for a title shot more times than many... lolololol.....

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cooney couldnt have beaten shit

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    cooney couldnt have beaten shit

lolololol.....

Hidden Content

Thread Information