1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Miguel Cotto v Yoshihiro Kamegai

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    This is the real boxing match this weekend and should be what we will be discussing. It is on box nation.
    I didn't think we were allowed to talk about this fight.

What do we know about Kamegai? I know he fought guererro a few years back but that's about it.
    You staying up for this (and other) fight?
    I doubt it, I don't think it warrants staying up for, I'm normally up at about 5am so I'll record it and stick it on then.

What other Boxing is on then?
    A tacky fight in a tacky down full of tacky fans for a tacky belt.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll for sure watch it but I was never too interested in the fight to begin with. Cotto is long past his best and Kamegai really isn't that great. It has potential to be a fun fight but at his age, I doubt Cotto will want to really engage at all.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I'll for sure watch it but I was never too interested in the fight to begin with. Cotto is long past his best and Kamegai really isn't that great. It has potential to be a fun fight but at his age, I doubt Cotto will want to really engage at all.
    I was rewatching Cotto v Canelo and Miguel did not want to engage and went through the motions. I think he is just looking for one last pay day.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BoxNation add two World class fight cards with Puerto Rican great Cotto v Kamegai and Berchelt v Miura

Boxing legend Miguel Cotto’s ring return on August 26th against the ever-exciting Yoshihiro “El Maestrito” Kamegai will be shown exclusively live on BoxNation.

As part of ‘The Channel of Champions’ exclusive output deal with Golden Boy Promotions, BoxNation are pleased to announce the addition of Cotto-Kamegai, as well as a cracking card on July 15th with WBC super-featherweight world champion Miguel Berchelt headlining.

Mexican Berchelt will make his first title defence against former champion Takashi Miura, with Bernard Hopkins’ conqueror Joe Smith returning to take on the Miami-based Sullivan Barrera in a heavy-handed slugfest.

Both these fights cards are set to be all-action affairs, with Puerto Rican great Cotto’s bout to be for the vacant WBO super-welterweight world title and taking place at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

The only four-division world champion in the rich history of Puerto Rican boxing, Cotto will be out to show why he still has so much to give at the 154-pound weight class and will be looking to add Kamegai’s name to an outstanding list of opponents he has beaten.

“I’m very excited to be back and showcase a high level fight for the fans,” Cotto said. “Kamegai is a great, tough fighter, but I will be ready for him and to capture the world title. I can’t wait to start training for this fight and get back in the ring on August 26.”

Kamegai is known as one of the highest-action fighters in the sport having engaged in a fight of the year candidate against Jesus Soto Karass in 2016 and taking champions and contenders including Robert Guerrero, Alfonso Gomez and Johan Perez into deep water.

“I fully understand who I am going to be in the ring against, but Cotto’s record and history won’t matter once we are toe-to-toe,” Kamegai said. “I am looking forward to giving fans the kind of aggressive fight that they have seen from me before and having my arm raised in victory.”

For his clash on July 15th at Los Angeles' "Fabulous" Forum, Berchelt will be looking to keep his 10-fight consecutive knockout streak going following his impressive stoppage over Francisco Vargas in January, in which he claimed the 130-pound world title.

"I took on this challenge because I only want to fight the best," Berchelt said. "I know that Miura is a true warrior and always leaves it all in the ring, but I am young and hungry and am confident that I will return to Mexico with the world championship belt still around my waist."
    Miura, one-half of the consensus 2015 Fight of the Year with Vargas, returns after a dynamic 12th-round stoppage against Miguel Roman.

"I have wanted to regain my championship belt from the moment I lost it in November of 2015," Miura said. "I know Berchelt is strong, and I know that we'll go head-to-head for this world championship title that will prove to be a great fight."

http://www.boxnation.com/boxing-news...chelt-v-miura/

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

5 Reasons to Watch Cotto v Kamegai

Glynn Evans presents the case for why Saturday’s BoxNation screened WBO Super-Welterweight clash is ‘can’t miss’ TV for the Fight Frat.

1. WATCH HISTORY IN THE MAKING.

‘Mighty Mig’ first surfaced on the world scene way back in September 2004, aged 23, claiming the vacant WBO Super-Lightweight crown by slaying previously unbeaten Brazilian bomber Kelson Pinto in six in Hato Rey.

After savaging six challengers (five early), ‘Junito’ made the 7lb spring to welterweight in June 2006 and garnered the WBA title by bludgeoning compatriot Carlos Quintana into a fifth round retirement. In February 2009, Cotto clouted Chorley’s Michael Jennings (then 34-1) to add the vacant WBO welter belt, before reigning at a third weight by felling WBA 154lb boss Yuri Foreman in nine at a bouncing Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.

Following decision losses to Mayweather and Austin Trout, he fashioned an astonishing resurrection in 2014, aged 33, to violently demolish Argentina’s long reigning WBC middleweight king Sergio Martinez to conquer a fourth division.

As the fabulous fighting island’s first and only quadruple weight world champion, Cotto is already the most decorated fighter in Puerto Rico’s rich ring history. And on Saturday he attempts to further extend his legacy by adding a sixth world belt to his collection.

2. SAVOUR THE SKILL SET OF A SURE FIRE FUTURE HALL OF FAMER.

Few fighters are as universally revered by both fans and fellow fighters as the Rican icon who is blessed with an abundance of talent, temperament and testicles.

A former World Junior finalist (199 and 2000 Sydney Olympian, Miguel Angel began his career as a bull strong and vicious hitting warmonger, with a particularly brutal body attack. Latterly, the man from Caguas has evolved into a savvy old sage, a tactically astute yet still potent counterpuncher, who could peel off the most creative combinations.

And there is plenty of steel behind the silk. Sure, he touched down a few times over his 16 years career but only Antonio Margarito and Pacman stopped him (round twelve) and the former ‘defeat’ came with a huge asterisk.

If Cotto wasn’t quite the greatest, he was among the very bravest to dip between the ropes, warring on equal terms with the cream of his generation (Judah, Mosley, Margarito, Pacquiao, Mayweather, Martinez, Alvarez) and never bleating on the few instances he came up short. The stone faced father of four always respected the sport and served as a perfect role model to those who came later.

Now well into his 37th year, he insists 2017 will be his swansong. Savour him while you still can.

3. WITNESS A BONEFIDE SAMURAI WARRIOR.

Fighters from the Land of the Rising Sun are generally iron cast, heavy fisted warmongers who pride themselves on honour and valour, and Kamegai fits that prototype perfectly.

While Cotto enters the world championship ring for a 25th time, Yoshihiro is debuting at top level but has earned his mandatory slot the hard way, starring in Fight of the Year contenders against a prime Robert Guerrero (2014), then twice against Jesus Soto Karass (both 2016).

The 34 year old action man from Sapporo has one direction, forward, and one pace, flat out; qualities that shall pose a stiff examination to Cotto’s aging lungs and legs.

He is yet to be dropped or stopped in 32 starts and is blessed with seriously heavy hands. Twenty-four of the 27 victims on his slate (two draws) failed to finish the race. A looping overhand right is his signature weapon of mass destruction – Cotto has long been prone to cuts and facial swelling – and he also loves to rip the body. The Puerto Rican certainly won’t need to play ‘hide and seek’.

4. FEAST ON A FISTIC FIESTA.

Cotto’s glorious ring achievements have seen him all but deified, in his homeland, and among the five million Ricans who presently reside on the US mainland. Ten of his fights have featured on pay-per-view in the US, with seven figure take-ups for his dust-ups against both Pacquiao and Mayweather.

Madison Square Garden has transformed into a frightening cauldron of rabid, flag waving Ricans on each of the nine occasions that Cotto has headlined and the national treasure attracted a similarly partisan 20,000 audience to Yankee Stadium for his WBA 11st win over Hebrew homeboy Yuri Foreman.

Expect similar from the huge local Hispanic community for what is only his second Californian start, at the Stubhub Centre in Carson on Saturday. The PR posse are proper fight fans – as knowledgeable as they are fanatical - and turn every Cotto fight night into a carnival.

5. PROPER FIGHTERS, PROPER FIGHT.

While the same night circus over in Las Vegas resembles Wayne Rooney playing Andy Murray at tennis, Cotto-Kamegai represents a rumble between two time-served boxers who collectively share 77 fights and 28 years in the profession.

The pair contest a recognised (if vacant) slice of the global super-welterweight pie, screened live on HBO in the US and BoxNation in the UK. And if four division world champ Cotto enters a 3-1 favourite, it promises to be infinitely more competitive fare than the Mayweather-McGregor exhibition 450 miles due east.

In terms of aesthetics and experience, Cotto is vastly superior but the Puerto Rican carries the baggage of 12 extra fights, two extra years and with 21 months of ring rust to shed. Kamegai is taller, longer, fresher and carries a serious clout. This is definitely no ‘gimme’.

http://www.boxnation.com/boxing-news...tto-v-kamegai/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the real boxing match this weekend and should be what we will be discussing. It is on box nation.
    I didn't think we were allowed to talk about this fight.

What do we know about Kamegai? I know he fought guererro a few years back but that's about it.
    He's here to make Cotto look strong and back in full force, which I think will be the case if Cotto gets the jab unpacked. Odd though as Cotto has signed new deal with GBP but earlier in week said he is for sure done by years end

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I read that he was going to have one last fight in December and then retire, I hope that is what he does, the bloke has had a great career and surely he's got himself enough money to live comfortably now.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Should be an easy win for Cotto. Just looking at their fights with Gomez
    Suggests that Kamegai will do well to go the full 12 rounds let alone win.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glynn Evans presents the case for why Saturday’s BoxNation screened WBO Super-Welterweight clash is ‘can’t miss’ TV for the Fight Frat.

‘Mighty Mig’ first surfaced on the world scene way back in September 2004, aged 23, claiming the vacant WBO Super-Lightweight crown by slaying previously unbeaten Brazilian bomber Kelson Pinto in six in Hato Rey.

After savaging six challengers (five early), ‘Junito’ made the 7lb spring to welterweight in June 2006 and garnered the WBA title by bludgeoning compatriot Carlos Quintana into a fifth round retirement. In February 2009, Cotto clouted Chorley’s Michael Jennings (then 34-1) to add the vacant WBO welter belt, before reigning at a third weight by felling WBA 154lb boss Yuri Foreman in nine at a bouncing Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.

Following decision losses to Mayweather and Austin Trout, he fashioned an astonishing resurrection in 2014, aged 33, to violently demolish Argentina’s long reigning WBC middleweight king Sergio Martinez to conquer a fourth division.

As the fabulous fighting island’s first and only quadruple weight world champion, Cotto is already the most decorated fighter in Puerto Rico’s rich ring history. And on Saturday he attempts to further extend his legacy by adding a sixth world belt to his collection.

Few fighters are as universally revered by both fans and fellow fighters as the Rican icon who is blessed with an abundance of talent, temperament and testicles.

A former World Junior finalist (199 and 2000 Sydney Olympian, Miguel Angel began his career as a bull strong and vicious hitting warmonger, with a particularly brutal body attack. Latterly, the man from Caguas has evolved into a savvy old sage, a tactically astute yet still potent counterpuncher, who could peel off the most creative combinations.

And there is plenty of steel behind the silk. Sure, he touched down a few times over his 16 years career but only Antonio Margarito and Pacman stopped him (round twelve) and the former ‘defeat’ came with a huge asterisk.

If Cotto wasn’t quite the greatest, he was among the very bravest to dip between the ropes, warring on equal terms with the cream of his generation (Judah, Mosley, Margarito, Pacquiao, Mayweather, Martinez, Alvarez) and never bleating on the few instances he came up short. The stone faced father of four always respected the sport and served as a perfect role model to those who came later.

Now well into his 37th year, he insists 2017 will be his swansong. Savour him while you still can.

Fighters from the Land of the Rising Sun are generally iron cast, heavy fisted warmongers who pride themselves on honour and valour, and Kamegai fits that prototype perfectly.

While Cotto enters the world championship ring for a 25th time, Yoshihiro is debuting at top level but has earned his mandatory slot the hard way, starring in Fight of the Year contenders against a prime Robert Guerrero (2014), then twice against Jesus Soto Karass (both 2016).

The 34 year old action man from Sapporo has one direction, forward, and one pace, flat out; qualities that shall pose a stiff examination to Cotto’s aging lungs and legs.

He is yet to be dropped or stopped in 32 starts and is blessed with seriously heavy hands. Twenty-four of the 27 victims on his slate (two draws) failed to finish the race. A looping overhand right is his signature weapon of mass destruction – Cotto has long been prone to cuts and facial swelling – and he also loves to rip the body. The Puerto Rican certainly won’t need to play ‘hide and seek’.

Cotto’s glorious ring achievements have seen him all but deified, in his homeland, and among the five million Ricans who presently reside on the US mainland. Ten of his fights have featured on pay-per-view in the US, with seven figure take-ups for his dust-ups against both Pacquiao and Mayweather.

Madison Square Garden has transformed into a frightening cauldron of rabid, flag waving Ricans on each of the nine occasions that Cotto has headlined and the national treasure attracted a similarly partisan 20,000 audience to Yankee Stadium for his WBA 11st win over Hebrew homeboy Yuri Foreman.

Expect similar from the huge local Hispanic community for what is only his second Californian start, at the Stubhub Centre in Carson on Saturday. The PR posse are proper fight fans – as knowledgeable as they are fanatical - and turn every Cotto fight night into a carnival.

While the same night circus over in Las Vegas resembles Wayne Rooney playing Andy Murray at tennis, Cotto-Kamegai represents a rumble between two time-served boxers who collectively share 77 fights and 28 years in the profession.

The pair contest a recognised (if vacant) slice of the global super-welterweight pie, screened live on HBO in the US and BoxNation in the UK. And if four division world champ Cotto enters a 3-1 favourite, it promises to be infinitely more competitive fare than the Mayweather-McGregor exhibition 450 miles due east.

In terms of aesthetics and experience, Cotto is vastly superior but the Puerto Rican carries the baggage of 12 extra fights, two extra years and with 21 months of ring rust to shed. Kamegai is taller, longer, fresher and carries a serious clout. This is definitely no ‘gimme’.

Awful 5 reasons. I was hoping they gave me reason to care for the fight. It had me more realize that there isn't much to get excited for.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

Awful 5 reasons. I was hoping they gave me reason to care for the fight. It had me more realize that there isn't much to get excited for.
    You're not being bent over being asked to pay $100 for it so there's that and everyone participating is an actual professional boxer. It's a style friendly opponent for Cottos 'comeback' but Kamegai won't come just to pick up a check. Am put off that it's for a trinket but make of the wbo what you will.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone saying “this is the real fight” is talking shit!
    Kamegai has about as much chance as Conor in my opinion
    The guy has a terrible record in America and he’s never been near this level.
    Cotto should be fighting Charlo, Andrade or even Lara
    But he’s been given a shot at a paper belt against a soft touch.
    I like watching Cotto and I like watching Floyd so I’ll enjoy tonight
    As both men should be able to showcase their skills and go through the gears.
    Honestly this fight should be on the Mayweather-McGregor undercard
    Then I might have been convinced to actually pay for it.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gonzales v Julio on in a 10 rounder

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vargas v Rio's on now

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Getting the red headed step child of a card going with Rey Vargas 29-0 facing Ronny Rios 28-1 for a super bantam trinket. They may not be divas, but bet they put some leather together .

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like Vargas in 1st with some seriously long power shots to body-head. For a freakish frame he puts it together well.

Thread Information