530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hurricane Irma Thread

Hi guys.

Back on the air, at least temporarily.

Wow, it feels good to be posting on here again. I can't wait to go back into the Trump/ NK/ climate change...... oh yeah..... and BOXING threads and resume our arguments.

Right now my heart goes out to those in Florida getting slammed by Irma, as well as those in places like St. Maarten, who were absolutely crushed by Irma. My prayers go out to all of them. I'm happy that José seems to be destined to miss most populated places. Leave it to women to do the most damage.

Damn, it's a surreal feeling to be tracking coordinates every 3 hours (weather bulletins) and hoping and praying that a monster such as Irma doesn't give you a direct hit. That's exactly what all of us here in Puerto Rico were doing, particularly those like me, on the Northeast corner of the island. Unfortunately for us, these babies tend to be at their strongest when navigating the warm waters of the Caribbean..... and Irma was doing 185 mph winds as a Category 5 as it was headed straight for us. Doesn't matter how many storm shutters you put on your windows and doors..... you don't feel safe when you see a monster on satellite pictures that dwarf your island by comparison.

As it turns out, the eye of Irma passed about 30 miles north of where I live, close enough to give us 100 mph winds..... knocking down trees, power lines, and blowing off the occasional roof. I watched some of the proceedings from my terrace with my mother, who my wife and I brought with us to spend the hurricane and the night. It was awesome watching the neighbor's humongous tree bend and groan, trying to survive the winds, only to finally get uprooted and get knocked down. I started second guessing myself for being out in the terrace, but at that moment the winds were coming directly from the north, and I knew we were protected. Later the winds shifted and came from the west, which still didn't affect my vantage point.

Had Irma hit directly, like Hugo did back in '89, we would've had a LOT more to worry about than just power outages and some downed trees and power lines. Our homes in Puerto Rico are basically made of concrete, obviously due to building codes in a hurricane-prone tropical island.... but we would've certainly had deaths and catastrophic damage to our infrastructure.

After something like this, you take a deep breath and you learn to appreciate every detail of your life, from the luxury of being able to brush your teeth every morning (after Hugo we were without water for 9 days..... we didn't lose water this time), to simple pleasures such as quality time with your family and even posting in boxing forums and saying hi to your friends.

I'm very appreciative to those who sent me messages, or even voiced concerns about me and wished me well. We fight and argue all the time..... but I love you guys.

Anyway...... that Kim Jong-un is a real jerk, isn't he?

BTW............ anybody else in Irma's path? Or with family or loved ones being affected?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hurricane Irma Thread

Nothing will stop you watching GGG beat Canelo.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Nothing will stop you watching GGG beat Canelo.

LMFAO!!!

I'm already crying because the wife went and surprised booked a hotel for next weekend.
    They'd better have the fight available, or this is gonna hurt worse than Irma.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't want to see a single soul get harmed or injured in any of this hurricane stuff but I do want to see the entire city of Miami and Naples and Fort Myers and Tampa and st. Petersburg completely level to the ground so that no stone is laying on top of another Stone. I would like the same thing to happen to New York and London and San Francisco and Hong Kong and Moscow and Tokyo because that's just the way I am but I am saying I do not want to see a single person or creature injured or harmed in the process

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glad you're safe Tito and with the family. No significant structural damage and in recovery mode right now it sounds? The hour to hour intensity coupled with almost euphoria immediately after a storm passes is like none other. Talked to family members yesterday and all are indeed stubborn as not one evacuated. Nieces in Miami, sisters in Bradenton and Panama City area. We were really hoping for that slow down and Northern turn much sooner and back half sitting in Atlantic but didn't work out. I don't wish these bastards on anyone but this hag needs to keep cutting North and hope to weaken over land. Steady as we go, I'm just not use to sitting on the outside watching and not knowing reality on the ground. Stay safe brother and take care of yours!

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    I don't want to see a single soul get harmed or injured in any of this hurricane stuff but I do want to see the entire city of Miami and Naples and Fort Myers and Tampa and st. Petersburg completely level to the ground so that no stone is laying on top of another Stone. I would like the same thing to happen to New York and London and San Francisco and Hong Kong and Moscow and Tokyo because that's just the way I am but I am saying I do not want to see a single person or creature injured or harmed in the process
    Really ?. Those buildings and cities are living memories and histories for generations of people.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Glad you're safe Tito and with the family. No significant structural damage and in recovery mode right now it sounds? The hour to hour intensity coupled with almost euphoria immediately after a storm passes is like none other. Talked to family members yesterday and all are indeed stubborn as not one evacuated. Nieces in Miami, sisters in Bradenton and Panama City area. We were really hoping for that slow down and Northern turn much sooner and back half sitting in Atlantic but didn't work out. I don't wish these bastards on anyone but this hag needs to keep cutting North and hope to weaken over land. Steady as we go, I'm just not use to sitting on the outside watching and not knowing reality on the ground. Stay safe brother and take care of yours!

Thanks bro, much appreciated.

As monstrous as Irma was, we barely avoided a direct hit. So although Irma is a record-breaking hurricane in the history of the Atlantic, in my particular area it would still place 3rd (at least in my lifetime) as far as damage by hurricanes. My list is now:

1. Hugo (1989) - Eye passed directly over my town as a borderline Cat 3-4. Damage was catastrophic.

2. Georges (1998 ) - Not as powerful as Hugo, but crossed the whole island from east to west. Damage to infrastructure was more widespread.

3. Irma (2017) - Just skimmed the NE corner of the island, where I live, but avoided a direct hit.

Praying that your family members (as well as family members and friends of mine) survive safely.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We are always praying all the time we should not just pray only when a hurricane hits I pray every second of every day that not a single solitary creature anywhere in the world not just human beings but butterflies and cats and dogs and birds Etc that not a single solitary creature ever suffers or undergoes any torture or suffering or abuse we should pray every single day like this not just only when there's a category 5 hurricane bearing down on one of our towns

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glad you are OK Tito.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks bro.

Funny... but before Hugo in '89 I remember people wanting to "experience" a hurricane in real life, just to see what is was like. Hell.... I may have even been one of them.

Hugo proceeded to beat that shit right out of me... and now all of us just groan and brace ourselves whenever one of these monsters is approaching.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

As monstrous as Irma was, we barely avoided a direct hit. So although Irma is a record-breaking hurricane in the history of the Atlantic, in my particular area it would still place 3rd (at least in my lifetime) as far as damage by hurricanes. My list is now:

1. Hugo (1989) - Eye passed directly over my town as a borderline Cat 3-4. Damage was catastrophic.

2. Georges (1998 ) - Not as powerful as Hugo, but crossed the whole island from east to west. Damage to infrastructure was more widespread.

3. Irma (2017) - Just skimmed the NE corner of the island, where I live, but avoided a direct hit.

Praying that your family members (as well as family members and friends of mine) survive safely.
    We're good bud, should be ok if we can convince my ol man to put his pride in his pocket and get off the damn beach .

Its funny how once you start seeing daylight that we start yearning for the everyday we take for granted. The simple shit like complaining about a job, car troubles and some ginger kid getting the snot beat out of him next week . "Normalcy" I suppose. Be safe man.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

We're good bud, should be ok if we can convince my ol man to put his pride in his pocket and get off the damn beach .

Its funny how once you start seeing daylight that we start yearning for the everyday we take for granted. The simple shit like complaining about a job, car troubles and some ginger kid getting the snot beat out of him next week . "Normalcy" I suppose. Be safe man.

My wife booked a hotel in Old San Juan for next weekend as a surprise and "let's get away from it all after Irma" type of thing. It's a boutique hotel and may not have the fight. Screw taking off the storm shutters! Gotta get a contingency plan to watch that fight!!!

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn Tito glad you are alright. This is terrible but I tell you it's been literally 72 hrs straight coverage on our 24hr news channels. Never seen them do this for a storm.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Really ?. Those buildings and cities are living memories and histories for generations of people.
    Wow.

Thread Information