Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Wow! Andre Ward retires!

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Primes vs Primes how would Andre Ward stack up vs the greats? So we're looking at his career in the 168 and 175 weight classes.

Roy Jones Jr.
    Bernard Hopkins
    James Toney
    Joe Calzaghe
    Michael Spinks
    Archie Moore
    Bob Foster
    Jones and JC are the only fighters that Ward will struggle with..

Jones chin was invisible back then and JC workrate, heart and handspeed is a problem for any era.

JC and Ward retired undefeated so there is no blueprint to beat them.

Jones can be beaten and has been knocked out numerous times..post prime.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sergey Kovalev
    Adonis Stevenson
    Artur Beterbiev
    Oleksandr Gvozdyk
    Eleider Alvarez
    Sullivan Barrera

Something like this for me. If the World Boxing Super Series continues to be successful we might get more divisions included. Fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Didn't see that coming but it's not like he hasn't put himself in time out before. In the same sentence he sights his body leading to lack of desire which just sounds bit backwards but it's his career. Plenty of guys out there to challenge and immediately after beating Kovalez he started talking about heavyweight etc. Hindsight being 20-20 you can see long term was no longer his focus.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what a bitch pussy!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kinda glad he's gone. I was never fan of his holding, head butting and low blows. Plus he would never leave home like everyone else did

a skillfull fighter but now he's out the picture the division will be more exciting . Adonis is the other stay at home champ holding a belt hostage but hopefully he's on his way out too. Time for the new breed

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Primes vs Primes how would Andre Ward stack up vs the greats? So we're looking at his career in the 168 and 175 weight classes.

Roy Jones Jr.
    Bernard Hopkins
    James Toney
    Joe Calzaghe
    Michael Spinks
    Archie Moore
    Bob Foster
    But you're missing the best light heavy of all time ....... Ezzard Charles.

..... who is just too busy for Ward, can fight just as dirty, and whose hands are too fast for SOG
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a surprise!

I won't miss him very much. Tedious fighter with a tedious attitude to regular fighting and his last two fights saw him lose and then low blow his opponent into submission. Sums him up completely for me. Butts and low blows were his best weapons really.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm wondering how long the retirement will last, to be honest. I just get the feeling that either Ward was frustrated with a lack of big names to fight, or he wants out of his current contract. If his body really is letting him down, then I'm glad he made the decision. That being said, I don't see putting on a great performance vs Kov, calling out Joshua, and then retiring out of the blue. One more point: regardless of who you THINK beats Ward, there is no denying that the guy should be ranked as the top 168 pounder ever.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I'm wondering how long the retirement will last, to be honest. I just get the feeling that either Ward was frustrated with a lack of big names to fight, or he wants out of his current contract. If his body really is letting him down, then I'm glad he made the decision. That being said, I don't see putting on a great performance vs Kov, calling out Joshua, and then retiring out of the blue. One more point: regardless of who you THINK beats Ward, there is no denying that the guy should be ranked as the top 168 pounder ever.
    He is up there with Joe Calzaghe.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    He is up there with Joe Calzaghe.
    Probably had a thread to itself in the past, but as much as I like and rate Calzaghe, Ward beats him prime for prime.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah, Calzaghe beats him 8-4 in a dull, dull, dull, dull fight full of low blows and cuts. You cannot outwork Calzaghe or neutralise him over 12. The only thing stopping Calzaghe is his hands. Calzaghe would have boxed Kovalev's ears off too as it seems he is a 4 round fighter a bit like Pascal. You cannot have gas tank issues against Calzaghe and you can't put him away with limited output like that. Same with Ward, he just wouldn't beat Calzaghe with 30 punches a round. Impossible.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe ducked Ottke, Froch, Pavlik and Taylor. He also scrapped by an old Hopkins so there’s no way he beats a prime Ward. Calzaghe struggled with Bika and Kessler while Ward made both those fights look easy. Ward would UD Calzaghe without much trouble. Kovalev would knock Calzaghe out early and easily.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GaMo View Post
    Calzaghe ducked Ottke, Froch, Pavlik and Taylor. He also scrapped by an old Hopkins so there’s no way he beats a prime Ward. Calzaghe struggled with Bika and Kessler while Ward made both those fights look easy. Ward would UD Calzaghe without much trouble. Kovalev would knock Calzaghe out early and easily.
    Joe did not duck those fighters he had better offers and he did not struggle he beat them convincingly.

At light heavyweight he was past his prime.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe did not duck those fighters he had better offers and he did not struggle he beat them convincingly.

Pavlik was unbeaten at the time and was willing to move up to fight Calzaghe but Joe decided to fight an old Hopkins instead. Ottke was the champion for years at 168 and Calzaghe was never willing to go over and challenge for the titles (instead he defended the shitty WBO belt at home) He obviously avoided Froch.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavlik was unbeaten at the time and was willing to move up to fight Calzaghe but Joe decided to fight an old Hopkins instead. Ottke was the champion for years at 168 and Calzaghe was never willing to go over and challenge for the titles (instead he defended the shitty WBO belt at home) He obviously avoided Froch.
    There you go re-writing history to suit your own agenda.

By the time Joe fought Hopkins he had beaten 2 undefeated fighters Lacy and Kessler and then moved up to Light heavyweight to beat 2 legends Roy Jones and Hopkins. He was at the end of his career and retired.

Thread Information