Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacobs signs for Matchroom. Jacobs-Arias/Miller-Wach/Benn-MexRS (SKY/HBO)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jacobs signs for Matchroom . Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Hearn has exactly one American fighter. He's never put on a US show but now wants to move into the US market. What promoters are going to help him by making fights with him? All these people trying to get into the market have the same problem. There have been two rappers signed a couple of fighters and found they were struggling to make any fights. One managed Ward against Kovalev but only because Kovalev was with a second tier promoter.

The last guy to move into the US market in a big way as a promoter was Oscar and he was the biggest thing in boxing at the time and had Hopkins, Mosley, half a dozen other names and a bunch of top prospects which created something HBO couldn't ignore. Then you had Haymon who isn't a promoter and tried his own thing and so far has managed to lose hundreds of millions of dollars. So how does this work for Hearn? Guys like Arum and Oscar are going to be queuing up to help him take their business?
    Young Edward isn't starting from scratch he has an impressive track record and a loaded stable bursting at the seems. Surely the important bit is HBO love him - three dates already and counting.

Burnett-ZZ (unification)
    Bivol (undercard - Chisora, Quigg and McDonnell "world" title fight)
    Jacobs (undercard - Big Baby-Wach *** ***)

Tom Loeffler did a terrific job getting Golovkin out there which led to getting HBO dates for Chocolatito and the whole superfly stuff. The Arum's and Oscar's weren't scared about their business being stolen, an independent just made it easier to do business. The biggest problem the rappers seemed to have was - more money than sense. They paid fighters a fortune for shit mismatches and attempted to flog it to the "wrong" demographic.
    Last edited by Fenster; 09-26-2017 at 08:15 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Hearn has exactly one American fighter. He's never put on a US show but now wants to move into the US market. What promoters are going to help him by making fights with him? All these people trying to get into the market have the same problem. There have been two rappers signed a couple of fighters and found they were struggling to make any fights. One managed Ward against Kovalev but only because Kovalev was with a second tier promoter.

The last guy to move into the US market in a big way as a promoter was Oscar and he was the biggest thing in boxing at the time and had Hopkins, Mosley, half a dozen other names and a bunch of top prospects which created something HBO couldn't ignore. Then you had Haymon who isn't a promoter and tried his own thing and so far has managed to lose hundreds of millions of dollars. So how does this work for Hearn? Guys like Arum and Oscar are going to be queuing up to help him take their business?
    Young Edward isn't starting from scratch he has an impressive track record and a loaded stable bursting at the seems. Surely the important bit is HBO love him - three dates already and counting.

Burnett-ZZ (unification)

Tom Loeffler did a terrific job getting Golovkin out there which led to getting HBO dates for Chocolatito and the whole superfly stuff. The Arum's and Oscar's weren't scared about their business being stolen, an independent just made it easier to do business. The biggest problem the rappers seemed to have was - more money than sense. They paid fighters a fortune for shit mismatches and attempted to flog it to the "wrong" demographic.
    HBO might be short of options now Arum left so they're buying up the rights to foreign cards but I'm not sure Hearn can do much actually in America with American fighters. He can bring his guys over and co promote some fights but he was doing that anyway. I think Yafai might end up on the next superfly bill from what the HBO people are saying and there are other fights that can be made like that but promoting big cards means signing up a bunch of big name fighters. He could bring Joshua over for a fight at some point but I read Joshua is going to be on his way soon anyway.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Burnett-ZZ (unification)

HBO might be short of options now Arum left so they're buying up the rights to foreign cards but I'm not sure Hearn can do much actually in America with American fighters. He can bring his guys over and co promote some fights but he was doing that anyway. I think Yafai might end up on the next superfly bill from what the HBO people are saying and there are other fights that can be made like that but promoting big cards means signing up a bunch of big name fighters. He could bring Joshua over for a fight at some point but I read Joshua is going to be on his way soon anyway.
    Interesting. Any more on this?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats been a whisper for years. It's a no brainer that Joshua will at some point set up AJ promotions.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Thats been a whisper for years. It's a no brainer that Joshua will at some point set up AJ promotions.
    I think that's the only way he leaves the Hearn/Sky model. Maybe Sky deal with him direct.
    But he'll need somebody special to set that up. And it has to be someone he trusts implicitly with very deep wallets or backers.
    Could cause massive rumblings in British Boxing.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ has a current deal with Showtime, he won't be on HBO anytime soon although without doubt their longterm goal is to get him, that's why they fought so hard for a piece of the Wlad fight. Both companies, obviously, consider him a potential massive PPV star in America.

As Memphis said - AJ leaving Hearn is not only inevitable but Hearn has never made a secret about it from day dot. You can pull up dozens of IFL interviews with Hearn joking about AJ giving him a job and explaining exactly why AJ Promotions will stand alone in the not too distant future.

Also AJ already has a big management firm that doesn't just deal with his own affairs but also manage a bunch of top prospects - Buatsi, Okolie, Olympians etc..

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Burnett-ZZ (unification)

I think it was the Daily Mail. Joshua didn't mention Hearn in the list of people he thanked after the last fight, there's been some issues behind the scenes and apparently when his contract is up he's off.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Burnett-ZZ (unification)

I think it was the Daily Mail. Joshua didn't mention Hearn in the list of people he thanked after the last fight, there's been some issues behind the scenes and apparently when his contract is up he's off.
    That would be brilliant to see.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arias it is, good fight. Arias looks a small middleweight (especially compared to the LH Jacobs) and isn't a dynamite puncher (that is their reasoning if i'm their matchmaker). I thought Arias was impressive on the undercard of one of the big recent fights.

I reckon many fans/media/boxing folk are currently overrating Jacobs a tad on the back of giving Golovkin a decent argument (Incidentally I thought he was underrated before Golovkin). Now i'm not one to write a fighter off after one bad sparko/loss but it wasn't long ago that Jacobs was stinking the joint out and getting dumped on his arse by Mora.

Bookies are too scared to price this up.

Last edited by Fenster; 10-04-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jacobs says he can knockout Canelo, I say he gets knocked out himself even if he weighs 180lbs.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GaMo View Post
    Jacobs says he can knockout Canelo, I say he gets knocked out himself even if he weighs 180lbs.
    You may not like this but if GGG can not knock out Jacobs weighing as a light heavy then Canelo would not either.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    You may not like this but if GGG can not knock out Jacobs weighing as a light heavy then Canelo would not either.
    Faster hands and he’ll throw shots that Jacobs doesn’t see. You can see everything GGG does because it comes so slowly

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Faster hands and he’ll throw shots that Jacobs doesn’t see. You can see everything GGG does because it comes so slowly
    Dreaming about your fighter again.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jacobs signs for Matchroom - Jacobs-Arias/Miller-Wach/Benn-MRS (SKY/HBO)

Arias is 6/1 (general), McGregor was over twice as likely to beat Floyd (UFC fans )

Thread Information