Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Haye of 2009/10 vs Joshua and Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    People always say todays crop is worse. During Haye's "prime" when he fought nobody before his wasted years when he fought nobody it was called "the worst era in heavyweight history" by most. AJ and Wilder are talented in any era. How much success they would have in different eras can be debated but they are talented without doubt.
    Hey, we can all slag Haye off, but he went up to HW as the undisputed best CW out there. Bellew went up , probably not even as one of the top 5 CW's and he's fucking ranked in the top 10 ffs.
    at the time it probably was "the worst era in heavyweight history" , but it's been overtaken.
    in order to give balance, I said in my other reply to this thread, it has to be noted that AJ and Wilder have not peaked yet, so things can definitely change.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haye had a laser guided right hand in his pomp and against guys his own size it was devastating. Look back at any highlight real of his, it's all right hand.

He'd struggle to land that punch against the giants of the division. Despite his relationship with Wilder and some footage of him chinning him pretty good. I think Haye loses to both of them at any time.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    People always say todays crop is worse. During Haye's "prime" when he fought nobody before his wasted years when he fought nobody it was called "the worst era in heavyweight history" by most. AJ and Wilder are talented in any era. How much success they would have in different eras can be debated but they are talented without doubt.
    Hey, we can all slag Haye off, but he went up to HW as the undisputed best CW out there. Bellew went up , probably not even as one of the top 5 CW's and he's fucking ranked in the top 10 ffs.
    at the time it probably was "the worst era in heavyweight history" , but it's been overtaken.
    in order to give balance, I said in my other reply to this thread, it has to be noted that AJ and Wilder have not peaked yet, so things can definitely change.
    My point is divisions go through ups and downs and we get caught in an era thinking it has to be the worst, but there were probably worse times. I mean who was around for The Cinderella Man to become champ? Dude was as journeyman as they come. Mike Tyson’s early reign was so empty they had to bring names out of retirement. MW is only now starting to fill out with 154 guys coming up to have some depth for the first time since the early 90s. Divisions(other than WW and LW usually) go through slumps.

It is a bad HW era, but there are 2 very talented fighters that could face off. HW there often aren’t 2. It could very well turn into AJ and everyone else, but it isn’t yet.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My point is divisions go through ups and downs and we get caught in an era thinking it has to be the worst, but there were probably worse times. I mean who was around for The Cinderella Man to become champ? Dude was as journeyman as they come. Mike Tyson’s early reign was so empty they had to bring names out of retirement. MW is only now starting to fill out with 154 guys coming up to have some depth for the first time since the early 90s. Divisions(other than WW and LW usually) go through slumps.

It is a bad HW era, but there are 2 very talented fighters that could face off. HW there often aren’t 2. It could very well turn into AJ and everyone else, but it isn’t yet.
    Firstly, the only reason they had to bring names out of retirement for Tyson is because he was going through everyone like a dose of salts. At his peak , there was simply nobody around that could even take him a few rounds, let alone compete.
    Secondly, it is a bad era and you're right in that there are 2 good guys that could face each other. The only stumbling block is , as with every division in this era, that they don't NEED to fight each other. Financially, they can carry on accusing each other of ducking and wanting the fight in their own respective countries because they can still make mega bucks without each other.
    It is Laughable that a fight with a 25 stone Coke addict that hasn't boxed for over 2 years , and had only one good (very good actually) win on his record, makes more money for Joshua than a showdown with Wilder does.
    This is no different in any division , Thurman/Spence/Crawford , Stevenson/Kovalev , Bellew holding his CW title to ransom when he had it all spring to mind and more.
    now we can quite rightly say, "Don't they want to build a legacy?" but the answer is that they want that with the most money, most hype and least risk.
    In previous times , guys wanted to , HAD to fight their main rivals because that's where the money was.
    Joshua's purse was probably £20 - £30 Million for fighting a late replacement in his last fight. How the fuck is that gonna help make a Wilder fight?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Firstly, the only reason they had to bring names out of retirement for Tyson is because he was going through everyone like a dose of salts. At his peak , there was simply nobody around that could even take him a few rounds, let alone compete.
    Secondly, it is a bad era and you're right in that there are 2 good guys that could face each other. The only stumbling block is , as with every division in this era, that they don't NEED to fight each other. Financially, they can carry on accusing each other of ducking and wanting the fight in their own respective countries because they can still make mega bucks without each other.
    It is Laughable that a fight with a 25 stone Coke addict that hasn't boxed for over 2 years , and had only one good (very good actually) win on his record, makes more money for Joshua than a showdown with Wilder does.
    This is no different in any division , Thurman/Spence/Crawford , Stevenson/Kovalev , Bellew holding his CW title to ransom when he had it all spring to mind and more.
    now we can quite rightly say, "Don't they want to build a legacy?" but the answer is that they want that with the most money, most hype and least risk.
    In previous times , guys wanted to , HAD to fight their main rivals because that's where the money was.
    Joshua's purse was probably £20 - £30 Million for fighting a late replacement in his last fight. How the fuck is that gonna help make a Wilder fight?
    I hear ya, you know I’m always going on how the best should fight the best. To the point of annoyance. Even being forced to support guys I hate like Ward and Wilder because they either made or are trying to make the right fights. And arguing against guys I like because they aren’t.

Luckily I hate most of the frauds(not talent wise) in the WW division because that is by far the most frustrating division.

At this point I’m forced to be a CW fan because it’s the only division all the top guys are doing right.

As for AJ, I don’t really believe the numbers, I think Hearn is paying him well but paying himself far more than AJ knows. Hearn is clearly setting up a move to HBO, just look at the deals he’s making with HBO. The only thing I think can make a Wilder/AJ fight is AJs weak viewership. He needs a fight that will get the numbers for the right deal. The UK money is going to be there for him regardless, stacking a bad deal for HBO on top is their goal. The question is will HBO do a bad deal without decent viewership before he comes over.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing wrong with being a Cruiserweight fan. The division has been pumping along nicely for years.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When they upped the cruiserweight limit from 190 to 200 it basically made it like watching the heavyweight division from 30/40 years ago. Genuine physically talented specimens instead of giants that can flourish by virtue of being too big to KO and having long enough arms to score points.

Watch a 210 (?) Holyfield against Bowe and it explains why at 100-years-old he was able to emulate/equal a prime Haye in outpointing Valuev.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very valid point about a 25 stone coke addict who hasn't boxed for 2 years, yet that is the one that Joshua/Hearn are after? Why? Dumb Ass PPV money, not boxing fans.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

“Playboy fighter” no more: the night David Haye came of age
    5 live Boxing with Costello & Bunce

David Haye joins the podcast to look back on his thrilling win over the then undisputed number one cruiserweight in the world in Frenchman Jean Marc Mormeck, which happened ten years ago this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05mwx5n
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Last edited by Master; 11-17-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the biggest question mark regarding Haye’s chance to win is the condition of his little toe. Klit was lucky that Haye hurt his toe in that fight, otherwise Haye would’ve DESTROYED him. Seriously, just ask him (Haye). I can’t believe he is risking his health n his toe like this. Getting back on the ring I definitely see how Haye should be used as a barometer for greatness, he has sooooooo many ATG performances in his prime.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I think the biggest question mark regarding Haye’s chance to win is the condition of his little toe. Klit was lucky that Haye hurt his toe in that fight, otherwise Haye would’ve DESTROYED him. Seriously, just ask him (Haye). I can’t believe he is risking his health n his toe like this. Getting back on the ring I definitely see how Haye should be used as a barometer for greatness, he has sooooooo many ATG performances in his prime.
    Thank you for your objective and unbiased opinions, as Clint Eastwood said, 'opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one'

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    You are better than that. Listen to the interview which says that Haye was a very good fighter and people can not get past "toegate".

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Realistically Haye couldnt beat a genuine class heavy. Hes too small. He couldnt land against Wland and I doubt hed land against Fury or AJ. Plus I seriously doubt he could take AJs power. He has a chance v Wilder but would still fancy Wilder in a proper fight. Sparring doesnt really mean all that much.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Realistically Haye couldnt beat a genuine class heavy. Hes too small. He couldnt land against Wland and I doubt hed land against Fury or AJ. Plus I seriously doubt he could take AJs power. He has a chance v Wilder but would still fancy Wilder in a proper fight. Sparring doesnt really mean all that much.
    Steve Cunningham landed pretty damm gppd vs Fury. I can't see Haye missing providing the fight went a couple of rounds. Old haye that is.....

Nowadays he couldn't even land on bellew for 4 rounds with 2 decent legs

Thread Information