Guillermo Rigondeaux x-ray shows no broken hand, only bruising

Guillermo Rigondeaux could face a further backlash after pulling out of his fight with Vasyl Lomachenko due to only a bruised hand.

The Cuban amateur legend was roundly criticised for retiring on his stool against Lomachenko on Saturday, citing the ailment as a major cause in his decision.

Upon seeking medical treatment, which was completed on Monday, promoter Dino Duva confirmed 'Rigo' didn't suffer any break - as expected.

At the time, Duva had stated: “Rigo hurt his hand in the third round and he just couldn’t throw it anymore. His trainer talked in the round that he got stopped and they just decided they couldn’t go anywhere without a left hand.”

After the fight, Rigodeaux blamed his injury whilst only giving Lomachenko sparing credit.

"I lost but it was because of my hand. I injured the top of it in the second round and could no longer continue," he said.

On Lomachenko, the veteran added: "He's normal but he's a very technical fighter, very quick and very explosive.

"I'll come back and fight anybody because there are no excuses. It wasn't about the weight, just the hand.

"I do give Lomachenko credit though, he is an incredible boxer."

Rumors are doing the rounds that Rigondeaux may now decide to quit the sport, rather than return, although WBN's new divisional rankings still rate the 37 year-old as the best super-bantamweight on the planet.

A move to featherweight, where the likes of Carl Frampton, Nonito Donaire and Leo Santa Cruz reside, could prove lucrative, as Rigondeaux seeks to repair his damaged reputation moving forwards.
Remember people accusing Brook of quitting when he suffered his second fractured eye socket, I'd like to see what they think of Rigo quitting for bruising his hand, I know that it was fairly obvious that he hadn't broken it but the confirmation puts his right up there with David Haye and his little toe...actually at least Haye managed to see the fight through.