Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Alternates fights

I think boxing should introduce alternates as back ups for championship fights or big match-ups.

When a match is made the next 2 (4) available fighters should be included on the undercard. If one of the main event fighters pulls out for any reason, fails weight, PEDS, injured etc then one of the alternatives steps in.

This way the card still goes on, a weight cheat or PED abuser misses a payday (obviously they would need to be caught beforehand).

If the main event goes off as planned the alternates still fight and the winner(s) enhance their rating.

The alternates would need to be among the top 10 or so, higher if possible, so that if one of the main guys is dropped it is still an appealing fight.

Thoughts?
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Alternates fights

Sounds like something I've seen some tough-man tourneys do. Lots of variables but would solve many cards tossed into last minute scrambling to save the event just for the sake of covering bases, bills and network dates. I remember a guy being pulled from the fan section years ago just so Tommy Morrison made the espn main event . The Doughboy or something. Funny fooker too. Good idea though and needed direction. Fans wouldn't feel like they came for steak and settled on potted meat. Random thoughts

Unfortunately promoters and bodies have become too adept at salvaging and if you're a favorite and big enough just throw money to opponent and fight goes on. I think some guys even work it for advantage. This whole 'the fight goes on but no trinket for you' I don't like. Guys drop trinkets regularly and don't tell me the headliners are surprised they didn't make it. It's a wink and nod by alphabet boys. Why dry yourself up or bust your ass if Sulaiman is going to hold you hand on the weigh to the ring?

It already happens fairly often but not the name for name face off. Cards are put together with future opponents for headliner in mind and they just shift the opponent of the other 'name' to fill in. Seems like it would be anchored by relying on sanctioning bodies to actually have firm immediate ...aka meaningful..top 10 rankings that they would just be required to cash in on days notice. If a promoter stacks a ppv with headliners looking to match in future, all concerned could be shafted if some wanker comes in heavy. You lose promotion and build, preparation for some guys and some stars could just balk at it right off. God knows they draw these tease fights out long enough and won't have some top ranked formidable threat come along last minute to muck it up.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not something I feel will eventuate to any great degree. The WBSS has alternates, but as we saw they are well below an acceptable level. I saw Holyfields 147 tournament had a couple of fan voted alternates for the comp. I never saw any voting polls for any of the seeding btw. Seemed a good idea. Fans voted the top 8 seeds and the 2 alternates. I know these guys are a level below the top contenders but so egos aren't really an issue, but if we got regular WBSS type tourny's, decent alternates may become a mainstay.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are you talking amateur boxing and non pros then? Not knocking it down but the slugs of professional cockroach hardened boxing will never support that kind of change and taking the reigns away. Sadly. Could all boil down to promotion and new wave. Holyfield does deserve some credit in making his imprint. Maybe Arum and Oscar will take a long drive on a short pier.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm talking pros and realize nothing changes unless it has to. Just thinking out loud. When promoters are putting on shows, an undercard fight should at least try to be between 2 other rated fighters in the division, as a back up to one of the mains dropping out.

Lets use SuperFly as an example, if one of the main guys pulled out one of the guys on the undercard could have just as easily slotted in. The replacement is not pulled in on short notice as they would also be in training.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'm talking pros and realize nothing changes unless it has to. Just thinking out loud. When promoters are putting on shows, an undercard fight should at least try to be between 2 other rated fighters in the division, as a back up to one of the mains dropping out.

Lets use SuperFly as an example, if one of the main guys pulled out one of the guys on the undercard could have just as easily slotted in. The replacement is not pulled in on short notice as they would also be in training.
    It's a right idea and what the fans deserve, I just don't think the higher ups will burn through name attractions, top 10 guys as replacements and ticket sellers last minute to salvage the event when they can just put a band aid on it for the night. Boxing just doesn't have the uniformity.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They do try to do that where they can afford it.

Remember Lennox took on Vitali when his original opponent pulled out.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Yea I'm saying use it as a deterrent for those who blow weight, get busted for PEDs or get injured etc.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Yea I'm saying use it as a deterrent for those who blow weight, get busted for PEDs or get injured etc.
    I think it would be too late if it was after the weigh in when the alternative​ fight could really big with the right publicity.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information