Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Wilder have more Charisma than AJ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Does Wilder have more Charisma than AJ?

I find Wilder boorish and tedious on twitter trying to shadow box in his flat late at night or beating up a mentally challenged fanboy in sparring.

AJ is getting more "preachy" with his sermon after fight interviews but he is better to listen too.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Depends how you define charisma. Both try a little too hard for me. In a strange way I think both have a public facing persona that would possibly suit the other one better.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joshua has more charisma.

He has good manners and comes across as sincere, intelligent, and honorable.

Wilder comes across as stupid, childlike and lacking in self-control, the kind of person who soils himself regularly.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The deluded internet warrior fanboy that Wilder invited into the ring was a previous poster on here, I believe.

As I recall, he was a trolling nutjob with little grip on reality.

I was delighted when someone as pathetic and annoying, yet who still felt they were important and special enough to be listened to ..... got their face smashed in by a genuine 6'7" world class heavyweight.

The problem with the internet is that there is no consequence to what you say. This might even relate to many different threads on here too

There should be consequence to what people say on the internet, just as there are in real life. We would have less hate speech, rumour mongering, fake news and incitement if there was a Deontay Wilder in every PC and tablet in the world.

If some idiot was grooming someone on the net, downloading jihadi material, propagating hatered and strife .... a really long arm with a glove on the end of it would leap out of their screen and blitz them out cold with one punch. Their speakers would then scream "BOOMMMBZSQUAAAAAD" at them for good measure.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People see charisma differently. Most find Spence boring speaking very plain and honest. I find him to be easily the most charismatic fighter going.

I like AJ as a fighter but I find him very fake so no, his personality does not inspire devotion from me. Wilder, I don't know what to make of that guy. His words don't meet with his career so it comes off fake too.

They aren't Keith Thurman fake but they're fake and I don't follow that. Let's just see them fight.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tough crowd in here.

All I see are two highly skilled professional athletes at the top of their game, both with explosive potential inside the ring, and totally different personalities out of it. Wilder's been fed a bunch of nobodies to fatten up his record... but slowly he's getting credible victories under his belt, and making it harder and harder for the haters to keep hating. I've been a long time skeptic... but I applaud some of his recent fights. Ortiz may have been old and on the downside of his career... but he was still a dangerous, avoided fighter. Wilder took him on and knocked him out. AJ brought out the offense in Wlad, something that hadn't been done in decades. The best HW title fight in many many moons, IMO. For that I thank both of them. They seem to be on a collision course. Let's look forward to that. As far as charisma, at this point I don't give a rat's ass. Wilder is exuberant.... we should see as much in some of the jaded professional athletes nowadays. He's confident and he's proud. Hardly damning qualities for a heavyweight boxing champion. AJ is less outgoing, but seems like a truly nice guy. So I like both of them. Also, it's downright refreshing to see two heavyweight fighters who keep in excellent shape, and who can talk in a manner that can be understood by a normal human being, something that I remember guys like Toney and Bowe totally lacked.

I'm back to liking the heavyweight division again.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

James Toney has more charisma than both of them combined and is probably heavier too. He would beat them both on the same night in his Rahman prime.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Tough crowd in here.

All I see are two highly skilled professional athletes at the top of their game, both with explosive potential inside the ring, and totally different personalities out of it. Wilder's been fed a bunch of nobodies to fatten up his record... but slowly he's getting credible victories under his belt, and making it harder and harder for the haters to keep hating. I've been a long time skeptic... but I applaud some of his recent fights. Ortiz may have been old and on the downside of his career... but he was still a dangerous, avoided fighter. Wilder took him on and knocked him out. AJ brought out the offense in Wlad, something that hadn't been done in decades. The best HW title fight in many many moons, IMO. For that I thank both of them. They seem to be on a collision course. Let's look forward to that. As far as charisma, at this point I don't give a rat's ass. Wilder is exuberant.... we should see as much in some of the jaded professional athletes nowadays. He's confident and he's proud. Hardly damning qualities for a heavyweight boxing champion. AJ is less outgoing, but seems like a truly nice guy. So I like both of them. Also, it's downright refreshing to see two heavyweight fighters who keep in excellent shape, and who can talk in a manner that can be understood by a normal human being, something that I remember guys like Toney and Bowe totally lacked.

I'm back to liking the heavyweight division again.

Fantastical post!! shall "steal" with your permission and a couple of quotation marks.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    The deluded internet warrior fanboy that Wilder invited into the ring was a previous poster on here, I believe.

I was delighted when someone as pathetic and annoying, yet who still felt they were important and special enough to be listened to ..... got their face smashed in by a genuine 6'7" world class heavyweight.
    That was Charlie Zelanof the true P4P GOAT

He goes around gyms asking random people with no experience to spar with him then sucker punches them before they are ready, he goes home creates an elaborate back story for the (ex navy seal, former MMA champion, stuff like that) then he posts it on the internet and claims it's another win, I think he is something like 230-0 at the moment.

Have a look at some of the videos on YouTube, the bloke is fucking infuriating, he must have some sort of mental issues.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post

That was Charlie Zelanof the true P4P GOAT

He goes around gyms asking random people with no experience to spar with him then sucker punches them before they are ready, he goes home creates an elaborate back story for the (ex navy seal, former MMA champion, stuff like that) then he posts it on the internet and claims it's another win, I think he is something like 230-0 at the moment.

Have a look at some of the videos on YouTube, the bloke is fucking infuriating, he must have some sort of mental issues.
    I believe he posted here quite regularly but it was before my time.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    James Toney has more charisma than both of them combined and is probably heavier too. He would beat them both on the same night in his Rahman prime.

Toney has a lot more something than both of them combined..... but it's that something you find in abundance on the outer layers of whales.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

Toney has a lot more something than both of them combined..... but it's that something you find in abundance on the outer layers of whales.
    Steroids.....oh blubber...blubber......I'm going with steroids

I will say if there was ever a fighter I'd buy the whole "Contaminated beef" excuse for failing a PEDs test from it would be James Toney....."Well he does seem to enjoy eating....maybe he ate too much"

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good point, Lyle. Just how do you pick out the contaminated meat from the UN-contaminated?
    Case in point...........

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As Memphis mentioned. I think its all about how you define charisma. There's more to it than just confidence. There has a to be a certain draw there that pulls people to a persons character. Just as with many things today there are a lot of messages lost because of the opinion of the source. It's like people wearing big vagina costumes and hats in the US telling us that we should respect women, take them seriously and pay them equal salaries. The message is totally clouded by the presentation. This is the problem I have with Wilder. His brash persona, poor sportsmanship displays and in ring antics make it hard to take him seriously or really advocate for him being an ambassador of the sport (not that he wants to be nominated). Disrespect of his opponents and the lack of honor to learn his craft (he can at least stop swinging across his own body with those door knocker punches) detract from any earnest backing the guy has from coming from his journey from humble beginnings to support his daughter with a debilitating condition. Now no one says he has to do it the way I or anyone else likes. Hes free to do what he wants, opinions be damned. For me, its at least partly why I can't call his appeal charismatic as much as attribute it to the train wreck effect.

Joshua on the other hand is rather vanilla, no frills. In many way just like Lennox remained low key, he tends to fly under the radar. Is that charismatic? No not really. But if you're taking yourself seriously, your craft seriously and are cognizant of the effect you have on the people around you and the sport as a whole... People can find reasons to like you for at least not rocking the boat just for the sake of making waves. Is he the heir apparent people are hyping him to be? That remains to be seen but slow and steady wins the race as they say. For me the smiling gracious winner does more for ones image than all the asinine self promoting and screaming the other guy does. So he may not be the show stopper many want to see yet, but he has an honest shot at it as long as he can remain dominant in the ring. Even Lennox benefited from that.

People want to see the bad guy get punished more than they like to the good guy get rewarded... it doesn't amount to charisma. Charisma emanates from within the individual not from the situation. Just like the saying about who a person is, not being defines by what happens to them but how they deal with it.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You make a very fair point.

I suppose 'charisma' means having some attractive or charming attribute that inspires people to follow you, or be devoted to you.

Ali was charismatic, people loved him (later on). Lennox and AJ possibly inspire respect, but not necessarily devotion.

Evan magnetic performers like Tyson, Liston, Duran etc inspired a sort of dread awe..... but not devotion or love.

But by that definition, there have been very few sports people, never mind boxers, who have been truly charismatic?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information