Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Last male northern white rhino dies

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Last male northern white rhino dies

I guess poachers in the United States and poachers in other areas have different motivations. Poachers here are after antlers (for mounts), skins/furs (for various things), and very seldom they are after meat. Poachers in Africa seem to be after ivory, skins/furs, and certain organs used as homeopathic remedies.

If I was to hunt in Africa (which I'm quite certain I'll never do) then I'd probably be after animals very similar to white tailed deer some sort of antelope or gazelle. I'd only shoot a predator if it were a problem in the area.

My view on hunting is you take and make use of everything you can from what you harvest otherwise you're doing it wrong. Also you need to know the population for that animal in the area you're hunting because if you hunt a place until there are no more of that animal to hunt then well you've got no more hunting left to do.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Marsupial Wolf was poisoned, shot, snared, hunted with dogs, trapped, and otherwise exterminated through the early 1900s.

The Labrador Duck's eggs were taken, and it was subject to depredations by the feather trade in its breeding area as well.

The story of the Eskimo Curlew is a tale of the slaughter of the innocents. It is a sad fact that the countless millions of this fine bird and the Passenger Pigeon, which once swept across our land on migrations, are gone forever, sacrificed to the insatiable greed of man.

Bubal Hartebeest
    Great Auk
    Sea Mink
    Quagga
    Pyrenean Ibex
    West African Black Rhinoceros
    Japanese Wolf
    Newfoundland White Wolf
    Caspian Tiger
    Javan Tiger
    Passenger Pigeon
    Carolina Parakeet

Major extinction events are nothing new for the planet, but species are now dying out at an alarming rate thanks to humans. We are presently losing dozens of species every day, according to the Center for Biological Diversity. Nearly 20,000 species of plants and animals are at a high risk of extinction.

El Kabong Guest

The Red Wolf has been reintroduced to several counties in my state....only issue there is the encroachment of coyotes in my state and in those counties where the red wolf is being reintroduced they've stopped allowing the taking of coyotes as the two species look extremely similar. Coyotes cause a lot of troubles by harming turkey and white tail deer populations. Also coyotes and red wolves will probably create hybrids after a while.

https://www.fws.gov/redwolf/wolvesandcoyotes.html

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Europe faces 'biodiversity oblivion' after collapse in French birds, experts warn

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rd-populations

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Europe faces 'biodiversity oblivion' after collapse in French birds, experts warn

That really is a shame. Sadly domesticated cats are pretty fucking amazing killing machines as a lot of the world has found out especially Australia and New Zealand where but of course they have fat, slow, flightless bird which apparently taste great to cats

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Coyotes cause a lot of troubles by harming turkey and white tail deer populations.
    People nearly completely wiped out all Wild Turkey populations, they had to be re-introduced into most areas where they had been extirpated.

Humans killed off other Galliformes like the endangered Sage Grouse and all the Tympanuchus Cupido sub-species, such as the extinct "Heath Hen". Heath Hens were extremely common in their habitat in the eastern USA during Colonial times, but they were heavily hunted by settlers for food.

El Kabong Guest

Coyotes cause a lot of troubles by harming turkey and white tail deer populations.
    People nearly completely wiped out all Wild Turkey populations, they had to be re-introduced into most areas where they had been extirpated.

Humans killed off other Galliformes like the endangered Sage Grouse and all the Tympanuchus Cupido sub-species, such as the extinct "Heath Hen". Heath Hens were extremely common in their habitat in the eastern USA during Colonial times, but they were heavily hunted by settlers for food.
    My Uncle helped reintroduce turkey in a few areas as well.

Quail are making a come back in a few areas due in great part to hunters and landowners making sure they have the habitat needed to thrive.

Ruffed grouse are having a rebound in a couple areas again due to hunters wanting to be able to hunt those birds.

As much as humans interfere in nature, nature sometimes needs a little interference once the odds are so off. Hopefully humanity learns from what happened at Yellowstone with the wolves. You have to have SOME predators or the populations get out of control which then hurts the plants and food supply and that hurts cover and next thing you know nobody is enjoying themselves predator or prey or plantlife.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sudan (the rhino) has been described as being a gentle giant.

Last edited by Freedom; 03-23-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That really is a shame. Sadly domesticated cats are pretty fucking amazing killing machines as a lot of the world has found out especially Australia and New Zealand where but of course they have fat, slow, flightless bird which apparently taste great to cats
    Again, humans are really to blame.

People brought cats on Islands and into other areas where there had never been cats, the native species had evolved with no natural defense nor instinctive fear of cats.
    Last edited by Freedom; 03-23-2018 at 03:44 PM.

El Kabong Guest

People brought cats on Islands and into other areas where there had never been cats, the native species had evolved with no natural defense nor instinctive fear of of cats.
    Yyyyyyyeah but when you think about the whole "survival of the fittest" any animal that's going around that has "no natural defense" AND "no instinctive fear" probably ain't really the best equipped for survival.

Yes humans, but God damn....Kiwis are fucking helpless. I don't want them extinct but God helps those who help themselves.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People brought cats on Islands and into other areas where there had never been cats, the native species had evolved with no natural defense nor instinctive fear of of cats.
    Yyyyyyyeah but when you think about the whole "survival of the fittest" any animal that's going around that has "no natural defense" AND "no instinctive fear" probably ain't really the best equipped for survival.

Yes humans, but God damn....Kiwis are fucking helpless. I don't want them extinct but God helps those who help themselves.
    Kiwis and other species had evolved natural defenses and instinctive fear for predators that had evolved around them. They could help themselves very well, until humans came along.

Put humans on some planet with creatures similar to pterosaurids and allosaurids, and we'll see how "evolved" our own natural defenses are.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with you on this Freedom. There are more than enough people on this planet now and if people really want to have children out of love, then surely a child is enough to give them what they want. This idea that women need several children each which is what is happening in many African countries is not only stupid, but completely selfish and contemptuous of the planet and their own children too as they often have no means of raising or educating them. We have more than enough human beings on this planet and with technological changes we simply will not need so many people. Already you see the most humdrum jobs vanishing as we are mechanizing them, so the notion that we need more people to sustain a ponzi scheme is misguided. The ponzi scheme will have to end as it is not sustainable. I think with our destruction of the planet after doing our best to destroy as many species as possible, the next to go will be poor people. There will simply not be the means to support them in a world where countries will be struggling to provide clean drinkable water. Famine in Africa is so common because it is really overpopulated and people have children they have no means of raising. They will inevitably have to die. Why does it have to get to that stage? As a person just stop having all these children. Have one if you like and if everyone does that the world is really in an okay place, but it's the greed and lust that is taking it all to an extreme place. It isn't love to do that to children. It is not love to wipe out habitats or destroy species.

I would much rather we have a world with all these beautiful creatures preserved, but as a species we seem to be selfish and people think they can have it all now and maybe they can try , but the world their children inherit will be a very harsh one. They will likely try and flee to Europe, but Europe does not owe every woman and her seven children a welfare check or even a job for that matter.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thylacines:

Intensive hunting encouraged by bounties is generally blamed for its extinction, but other contributing factors may have been the introduction of dogs and human encroachment into its habitat.

They were marsupials, and not closely related to wolves or tigers (in fact at least 100 million years apart from any non-marsupials in evolutionary time).

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I agree with you on this Freedom. There are more than enough people on this planet now and if people really want to have children out of love, then surely a child is enough to give them what they want. This idea that women need several children each which is what is happening in many African countries is not only stupid, but completely selfish and contemptuous of the planet and their own children too as they often have no means of raising or educating them. We have more than enough human beings on this planet and with technological changes we simply will not need so many people. Already you see the most humdrum jobs vanishing as we are mechanizing them, so the notion that we need more people to sustain a ponzi scheme is misguided. The ponzi scheme will have to end as it is not sustainable. I think with our destruction of the planet after doing our best to destroy as many species as possible, the next to go will be poor people. There will simply not be the means to support them in a world where countries will be struggling to provide clean drinkable water. Famine in Africa is so common because it is really overpopulated and people have children they have no means of raising. They will inevitably have to die. Why does it have to get to that stage? As a person just stop having all these children. Have one if you like and if everyone does that the world is really in an okay place, but it's the greed and lust that is taking it all to an extreme place. It isn't love to do that to children. It is not love to wipe out habitats or destroy species.

I would much rather we have a world with all these beautiful creatures preserved, but as a species we seem to be selfish and people think they can have it all now and maybe they can try , but the world their children inherit will be a very harsh one. They will likely try and flee to Europe, but Europe does not owe every woman and her seven children a welfare check or even a job for that matter.
    I started the thread so of course I care about these animals. The way lions, cheetahs, panthers and other wild cats are being threatened with extinction really gets me but on the other hand 99.9 percent of everything that lived on the planet has gone extinct through time. I guess it’s the way it goes but certainly we speed up the process.

Thread Information