Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Wilder Excuses Begin

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Yes my gut feel is that certain parties are over valuing this fight

I've never suggested that anyone should have the numbers down to the last bean. Only apply a bit of common sense, a bit of basic maths, precedent and from there answer the question where does the rest of the money come from.

Using the Klitschko fight as a template. It reportedly made 40-50 million quid. It has to have been closer to 50, so $70 million US. That money was chiefly made up of UK TV money. Allegedly 1.5 million PPV view buys at £20 = £30 million. Gate money was reportedly around £9 million. RTL TV £4 million, US TV £2 million. Rest of the World TV and merchandise £5 million.

You're quite right in that none of us know the exact numbers, but we can see that they are in the ballpark. The 1.5m PPV buys in the UK was a number Eddie Hearn mentioned, they (SKY/Matchroom) don't generally release them. He's no way going to under cook those numbers so it's either accurate, or he's adding a bit on top in which case the pot was actually less.

As far as I can see certain elements have a ceiling. Wembley, Cardiff, can't get any fuller. They've maxed out that revenue stream. 'Rest of the World TV and merchandise' Are Norway going to pull an extra bundle of cash out their ass pocket because it's Deontay Wilder? I don't think so. Is someone going to pay an obscene amount of dough for the rights to sell a T-Shirt with a windmill attached to the front?

I've got no problem with anyone suggesting that AJ Wilder does better than AJ Klitschko. I'd have my doubts of course....

As I've said already, the problem I have with this $100m number is that not only does it suggest AJ Wilder is bigger than AJ Klitschko, the biggest fight in UK boxing history, but it suggests that it absolutely blows it out of the water. I just don't see it.
    I would have thought Klitschko had a bigger following then Wilder.
    Me too. He brought the RTL money, he brought the HBO money (wasnt a great amount granted)
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Wilder will bring huge US TV ppv money compared to Wlad.

Now give him 40%.
    Showtime are going to sell this PPV in the states, in the afternoon? Or is the fight going to happen at silly o'clock UK time to align? That would have a knock on the UK market surely?

Explain how this happens.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now give him 40%.
    Showtime are going to sell this PPV in the states, in the afternoon? Or is the fight going to happen at silly o'clock UK time to align? That would have a knock on the UK market surely?

He can’t explain cos he’s a fuckin donut! He reckons 90,000 are gonna turn up at Wembley, paying £200 to be a mile away from the action and people are gonna pay £50k ringside.
    Meanwhile 10 million people in the states are gonna ppv it a 3pm on a Saturday.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now give him 40%.

I'd be surprised if this fight doesn't cater to US time as they are really trying to push wilder mainstream here. It will be interesting to see what happens time wise, they did Vlad fights in the afternoon here. Actually an afternoon showing would be more convenient for me but they usually don't consult with me about air times

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bottom line is that Wilder needs more fights like the Ortiz one to build his profile more, the Barclays Centre wasn't even sold out for the Ortiz fight and it only holds 18,000 people.

Joshua's last 3 fights have pulled in around 250,000 people.

Those figures and the fact Josh holds 3 of the 4 belts tell us all we need to know.

Wilder and his people are shit businessmen, they should have jumped at the chance to be ringside on Sky Sports the other week and taken the Whyte fight without even thinking about it whether it was in the UK or the USA.

Shows you just how potent Eddie Hearn is at promoting

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Deontay Wilder has nowhere near the clout that AJ has. I'm talking promotional clout. AJ also has far far better names on his resume. There is no way wilder should be getting more than 40% of the purse.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Deontay Wilder has nowhere near the clout that AJ has. I'm talking promotional clout. AJ also has far far better names on his resume. There is no way wilder should be getting more than 40% of the purse.
    I think Wilder has accepted 40%.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's interesting news. I just threw that number out there 40% but if this is true now what you're saying that was a pretty good guess on my part. I mean AJ has fought Wladimir Klitschko but who has Wilder fought? Bermane Stiverne and Ortiz are his two best wins and that is not saying much although Ortiz did very well for himself at the age of 41. Perhaps AJ should demand 65% and force Wilder into a 35% humiliation. In the end Wilder will have to accept if he wants to continue with his career

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's interesting news. I just threw that number out there 40% but if this is true now what you're saying that was a pretty good guess on my part. I mean AJ has fought Wladimir Klitschko but who has Wilder fought? Bermane Stiverne and Ortiz are his two best wins and that is not saying much although Ortiz did very well for himself at the age of 41. Perhaps AJ should demand 65% and force Wilder into a 35% humiliation. In the end Wilder will have to accept if he wants to continue with his career
    cracking estimation Brocko, have you thought about becoming a promoter? the press conferences would be awesome

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now give him 40%.

Easy. Sky pretend it will start at 11 but really it will be 2am.

If I was Wilder I would ask for $40 million or 40% of the revenue whichever is higher.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now give him 40%.

Easy. Sky pretend it will start at 11 but really it will be 2am.

If I was Wilder I would ask for $40 million or 40% of the revenue whichever is higher.

You have surpassed yourself !

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let me teach you guys something. America never gave a shit about Klitschko. Wilder is from here and can bring fat money with PPV. So yes the fight could bring in 100 million. I don't know if AJ is trying to price himself out of a fight. I think AJ is a better fighter. Still if I was his management team I would have at least one or two more fight to sharpen my skills.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    Let me teach you guys something. America never gave a shit about Klitschko. Wilder is from here and can bring fat money with PPV. So yes the fight could bring in 100 million. I don't know if AJ is trying to price himself out of a fight. I think AJ is a better fighter. Still if I was his management team I would have at least one or two more fight to sharpen my skills.

Let me teach you something. Your American fighter is not PPV in your country, never has been, not once, ever, 40 fights. He doesn't even have an exclusive deal with a major cable outlet. He got paid $2 million for his last fight (his biggest payday).

So you're claiming that $98 million extra is on the line, Wilder is going from a $2 million to $50 million fighter overnight. Get real.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Be honest with yourselves. Are you really trying to use Wilder's past fights against powderpuffs to gauge what his following would be for a mega-heavyweight-unification fight involving an American, the likes of which haven't been seen in decades? So because the American public has been slow to warm up to Wilder, they would stay home or tune in to something else if and when they find out Wilder is going to be fighting the great AJ? There's two sides to this coin, and it amazes me how many people are only willing to look at one.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Be honest with yourselves. Are you really trying to use Wilder's past fights against powderpuffs to gauge what his following would be for a mega-heavyweight-unification fight involving an American, the likes of which haven't been seen in decades? So because the American public has been slow to warm up to Wilder, they would stay home or tune in to something else if and when they find out Wilder is going to be fighting the great AJ? There's two sides to this coin, and it amazes me how many people are only willing to look at one.
    1. Why have the Americans been”slow to warm up” to Wilder? Ans. because he doesn’t compare with what went before him.
    2. AJ isn’t a great, nowhere near it, he’s the best of the current bunch, that’s all. Consequently , that’s why it won’t sell on a Saturday afternoon in the States.
    3. If I’m wrong and it is a mega-heavyweight-unification fight involving an American, and it is a $100 million fight, then Wilder’s team will have no trouble stumping up an offer to get AJ over there. And if AJ refuses to take the bait, then they can start to say AJ is ducking Wilder.

Thread Information