Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Joshua v Povetkin - it’s Official.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joshua v Povetkin - it’s Official.

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Even when he loses James Toney wins IMO. It's like with Ricky Hatton in his last fight, he may have lost but he won in my eyes. It isn't just what they do in the ring. With Toney in his recent fights you know he is shot, but just the balls of losing all that weight to fight Lebedev, damaging his ligament early, and still having the smarts to go the distance. That's a win. I love the guy.
    Let it go. Toney is gone and we will never see someone so young with his sublime innate boxing skills with attitude again ever.
    True, but he would whip all of these posers at HW were the clock to be turned back and the government regulated the fast food industry.
    Toney's best win at heavyweight was against Ruiz or Holyfield but that would not be enough to beat AJ/Fury/Wilder who are too big.
    Toney just got old and complacent in the end. He moved up at the tail end of his career. I believe he could take their punches. The trouble with James Toney is he could take punches too well, but the Toney who moved fresh up to HW was lightning quick, threw combinations, and still had those defensive smarts. If Haye can ahem beat Valuev, then Toney can handle the likes of Joshua, Fury and Co. Plus I consider Joshua to be a bit of a hype job with a silver spoon in his mouth. Toney wouldn't put up with that, he would humiliate him and have him gassing after 4. Joshua is lucky he is fighting opponents who do not throw in combination or have iron chins or have the same height as Brockton. He wouldn't be able to touch the legend that is James Toney. The likes of prime Toney and Tyson would eat these guys for breakfast. Too much movement and too much output and skill. Joshua has no output and is Bruno robot like, Fury fights scared, and Wilder is too sloppy. They are big but so was DLH against Pac. No mas!

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even when he loses James Toney wins IMO. It's like with Ricky Hatton in his last fight, he may have lost but he won in my eyes. It isn't just what they do in the ring. With Toney in his recent fights you know he is shot, but just the balls of losing all that weight to fight Lebedev, damaging his ligament early, and still having the smarts to go the distance. That's a win. I love the guy.
    Let it go. Toney is gone and we will never see someone so young with his sublime innate boxing skills with attitude again ever.
    True, but he would whip all of these posers at HW were the clock to be turned back and the government regulated the fast food industry.
    Toney's best win at heavyweight was against Ruiz or Holyfield but that would not be enough to beat AJ/Fury/Wilder who are too big.
    Toney just got old and complacent in the end. He moved up at the tail end of his career. I believe he could take their punches. The trouble with James Toney is he could take punches too well, but the Toney who moved fresh up to HW was lightning quick, threw combinations, and still had those defensive smarts. If Haye can ahem beat Valuev, then Toney can handle the likes of Joshua, Fury and Co. Plus I consider Joshua to be a bit of a hype job with a silver spoon in his mouth. Toney wouldn't put up with that, he would humiliate him and have him gassing after 4. Joshua is lucky he is fighting opponents who do not throw in combination or have iron chins or have the same height as Brockton. He wouldn't be able to touch the legend that is James Toney. The likes of prime Toney and Tyson would eat these guys for breakfast. Too much movement and too much output and skill. Joshua has no output and is Bruno robot like, Fury fights scared, and Wilder is too sloppy. They are big but so was DLH against Pac. No mas!
    Toney always wanted to be a heavyweight even when he was a middleweight but they said he was too small.

Toney seldom took punches on the chin which is why he stayed in the game so long.

Let it go.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How can you go on and on about Wilder and then pretend that Joshua is the one with a silver spoon in his mouth? Nobody here is claiming that AJ is the second coming, even if the casuals might think that, but you can't just dismiss someone purely because they are popular with the mainstream. That is a poor way to try and establish your own credibility. Povetkin/Joshua is a good fight.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HW Amir Khan with less speed and output IMO.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder is much less like that as he hasn't been hyped up, doesn't fill stadiums or get PPV for fighting any old Joe. He's taken an easier route but done it the long way. Povetkin is an Olympian too. This is why James Toney has to deal with the pampered ones in the end via time machine and fast food regulation. Easy work for him.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder is much less like that as he hasn't been hyped up, doesn't fill stadiums or get PPV for fighting any old Joe. He's taken an easier route but done it the long way. Povetkin is an Olympian too. This is why James Toney has to deal with the pampered ones in the end via time machine and fast food regulation. Easy work for him.
    I know where he can find one of those time machines
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope Povetkin knocks him out. And then knocks out Wilder and then goes to the Kremlin for a shot of vodka and a bear hug with Putin. Show them the new world order.
    I agree with Myles here. Povetkin is going to turn the heavyweight division on its head and knockout Anthony Joshua by the fourth round

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Toney when he had just moved up to hw, is a very interesting match for anyone. There are a handful of guys who likely would’ve been too much physically, but it would’ve been fun watching them forced to go 12 wondering what was up.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ha! So Wilder deserves credit for not facing anyone of note for years and not being able to fill a shed? You sound like a boxing hipster. Before you know it there will be a funking cuisine thread on here and some bloke with a massive beard and weird hair selling male fragrances.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Word is Povetkin got beat down by Daniel Dubois in sparring

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great feature here from Frank Lotierzo

" In the heavyweight division today there seems to be a focus on who hits the hardest as if that’s the be-all end-all. And that probably has mostly to do with the two title holders, Anthony Joshua 21-0 (20) and Deontay Wilder 40-0 (39), who both have impressive knockout percentages. Wilder’s is an astounding .975 and Joshua’s is right there at .952 and if they never fought again they’d retire one and two in the division’s history. For context, George Foreman, who I believe is the single biggest one-punch banger in history, KO’d 68 of the 76 fighters he defeated and boasts a .894 knockout percentage...."

http://tss.ib.tv/feature-articles/52...ill-be-telling
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Who knows if this is true but this is good preparation for Povetkin going into the fight. I'm not sure AJ has any sparring partners that fight like Povetkin.

holyfield apparently got beat up by Tua in sparring before putting on a career best performance vs Tyson.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post

Who knows if this is true but this is good preparation for Povetkin going into the fight. I'm not sure AJ has any sparring partners that fight like Povetkin.

holyfield apparently got beat up by Tua in sparring before putting on a career best performance vs Tyson.
    That was early on in their sparring by the time Holyfield was ready for Tyson he was handling his sparring partner.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post

That was early on in their sparring by the time Holyfield was ready for Tyson he was handling his sparring partner.

The video of the sparring ring is on YouTube and holyfield appeared to do well. At the time Lewis said he heard rumours from Tua that he'd been hurting holyfield in sparring. It's not what I saw

Thread Information