Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Anthony Joshua promises to bring back aggressive style against Alexander Povetkin

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Joshua promises to bring back aggressive style against Alexander Povetkin

This fight was not a give me Povetkin is a very good skilled fighter.
    I was thinking 6 rounds got it wrong by one AJ produced the goods a clinical finish what more can you ask.
    I new Povetkin would cause AJ problems but like the Champion he is he prevailed and won.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Joshua promises to bring back aggressive style against Alexander Povetkin

Just listening to the post fight presser, AJ usually really annoys me when I listen to him talking but I like what he said about treating his biggest critics as friends rather than enemies because they are the ones who pick up on the slightest imperfections, they are the ones who point out the flaws and that is what he uses to improve himself.

good little statement that

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Joshua, but needs to stop bringing back that jab low and keep his left hand high or he's going to get starched. Povetkin was working on getting that right hand over the top all night. Between that and going straight back as (Ron Swanson mentioned)... Wilder stock rises in this potential match up given that a long right hand is his bread and butter.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Povetkin was up at the time of the stoppage. Wilder will destroy him. All this praise for Joshua but he was losing to an old man like Wilder and needed to pull out a stoppage. Most of the Brits were laughing at Wilder, but here saying 'Woah, look at Joshua go'. But that is yet another fight where Joshua looked scared, robotic and lost. Wilder will be licking his lips.
    Miles have you started mixing drinking and prescription pills again? Povetkin was done. No complaints from him.

Plenty of non Brits who are not AJ fan boys can see it for what it is. He is a late starter learning on the job but his finishing instinct is great. Brilliant finish against a dangerous opponent nobody else has come close to matching. Povetkin would have beaten Wilder or Ortiz quite conclusively with a performance like that.
    There is absolutely no evidence of that and in fact it seems quite a reach. Like a desperate reach.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watched the fight. I’m surprised by those who think that AJ looked bad. I think he looked good. He fought cautiously but not too cautiously. He used good movement and seemed to have a good gameplan. Obviously he won’t fight the same way against Wilder, so certain flaws in this fight I believe he will focus on for that fight.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some nice moments from povetkin despite his drug test failures the fellow has always been very good at putting together a variety of punches, hes pretty fun to watch when he gets going... I would have liked him to win but ah well, he's old and I think he's been paid well through his career so good for him.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like last weeks GGG-Canelo wrap up - I love the way this geezer gets the punches that matter right (AJ body work), Eddie shitting himself, Wilder jumping in, Fury, Whyte and a cameo from GGG.

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He looked good. He spent the entire fight setting up the finishing punch. He got Povetkin used to only being hit by the jab, but was obviously throwing it with enough power to bother him/slow him down. I'm surprised that the opening took 7 rounds to appear, but can't fault Joshua for being patient.

The only criticism would be that he might not have had a plan B should that not work. But it did. From a stylistic point of view, Povetkin was always going to give Joshua trouble, particularly early on. Short, explosive hookers are a nightmare for a taller guy. A peak Klitschko found it awkward to deal with and actually resulted to holding and leaning throughout the duration of the fight.

For what it is worth, Compubox had Joshua landing almost double the amount of punches landed by Povetkin. From seeing the post fight reaction to the scorecards, I can only assume fans pay more attention to aggression and power punching.

From Joshua's point of view, the perception of his vulnerability is heightened because of the ramifications associated with him losing. Re-watching the fight, without the suspense, and Joshua's control is more noticeable and should be applauded.

He now has wins over a Ring Magazine ranked #1 and two Ring Magazine ranked #3's plus wins over the current Ring Magazine ranked #5 and #8. For a 22 fight career, with a fairly limited amateur background (yes he won Gold but only had around 35 amateur fights) that is outstanding.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    He looked good. He spent the entire fight setting up the finishing punch. He got Povetkin used to only being hit by the jab, but was obviously throwing it with enough power to bother him/slow him down. I'm surprised that the opening took 7 rounds to appear, but can't fault Joshua for being patient.

The only criticism would be that he might not have had a plan B should that not work. But it did. From a stylistic point of view, Povetkin was always going to give Joshua trouble, particularly early on. Short, explosive hookers are a nightmare for a taller guy. A peak Klitschko found it awkward to deal with and actually resulted to holding and leaning throughout the duration of the fight.

For what it is worth, Compubox had Joshua landing almost double the amount of punches landed by Povetkin. From seeing the post fight reaction to the scorecards, I can only assume fans pay more attention to aggression and power punching.

From Joshua's point of view, the perception of his vulnerability is heightened because of the ramifications associated with him losing. Re-watching the fight, without the suspense, and Joshua's control is more noticeable and should be applauded.

He now has wins over a Ring Magazine ranked #1 and two Ring Magazine ranked #3's plus wins over the current Ring Magazine ranked #5 and #8. For a 22 fight career, with a fairly limited amateur background (yes he won Gold but only had around 35 amateur fights) that is outstanding.

This 👌🏼😎

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Povetkin was up at the time of the stoppage. Wilder will destroy him. All this praise for Joshua but he was losing to an old man like Wilder and needed to pull out a stoppage. Most of the Brits were laughing at Wilder, but here saying 'Woah, look at Joshua go'. But that is yet another fight where Joshua looked scared, robotic and lost. Wilder will be licking his lips.
    Fury has pulled off the best deal, he beats over hypo Wilder easily and can name his price for Joshua. Serves Hearn right for not taking the easy Wilder payday.

Fury, Joshua, Povetkin, Whyte all beat Wilder easily, Fury will get the best payday, the others will be on a reducing pecking order.
    Joshua will get the best payday from a Wilder fight purely on the basis that he infinitely more popular than Fury and therefore will do at least double the PPV buys in the UK. For comparison, Joshua - Klitschko did 3x the buys of Fury - Klitschko.

As for your assessment of Fury beating Wilder easily.....not happening. Terrible style match up for Fury. He's susceptible to an overhand right and that's Wilder's bread and butter. Furthermore, Fury pulls away with his head up - unfortunately for him, Wilder's power seems to be at the very end of his extension. This is of course without even mentioning the ring rust. He may have got rounds in against Pianeta, but there is a huge difference between setting the pace in a glorified sparring session versus fighting at somebody else's pace, on the back foot, in a much more intense fight.

And with regards to Hearn accepting the easy Wilder payday. It didn't exist. All absolute bollocks. You could write a book on the number of inconsistencies and absolute bollocks spouted by Wilder, Finkel and even Frank Warren. How can you accept a fight without seeing a contract, or without having a discussion? How can you fight on BT when you're contracted to Sky? Why would BT have even paid $50m for the UK rights (As Warren said)? Just to cover that particular point, the PPV would have to do $2m UK buys for BT to break even. For clarity, that's around 2.5x what Mayweather/McGregor did in the UK. How's that going to happen on a 4am fight? It's all bollocks. Just a publicity stunt that falls apart at the slightest bit of investigation.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

El Kabong Guest

AJ looked very much like a Lennox Lewis Frank Bruno hybrid out there. He didn't seem all that hurried to do anything (Lennox) and he seemed a bit stiff (Bruno). I will say Povetkin came to fight, he did a great job in there and really gave a good account of himself. AJ stuck with a gameplan and took him out nicely, but I wouldn't say he pressed the pace or had an aggressive style...he certainly got hit more than he should have and I think Povetkin hurt him a couple times, or at least buzzed him.

Good win, Wilder and Fury should both be looking at that fight and thinking "Well he looks an easy night" but maybe that is by design....AJ didn't struggle at all, he was always in control, it was the quintessential professional title defense. AJ needs a little more work on the defense, but he's looking very stable as a fighter which is great for you Brits and fans of his.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    I like Joshua, but needs to stop bringing back that jab low and keep his left hand high or he's going to get starched. Povetkin was working on getting that right hand over the top all night. Between that and going straight back as (Ron Swanson mentioned)... Wilder stock rises in this potential match up given that a long right hand is his bread and butter.
    Exactly

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had a re watch on an actual screen minus all the blur and chop. I don't like the way AJ was moving and that he literally got down to Povetkins comfort level early on. He wasn't just caught in the first but pretty often with the right hand be it pulling away or dragging his hands back. His legs are slow and have to say I think speed gives him much trouble with Wilder. Ended the show like a top champ but Wilder is fast and hell bent crazy enough to jump on those openings.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I had a re watch on an actual screen minus all the blur and chop. I don't like the way AJ was moving and that he literally got down to Povetkins comfort level early on. He wasn't just caught in the first but pretty often with the right hand be it pulling away or dragging his hands back. His legs are slow and have to say I think speed gives him much trouble with Wilder. Ended the show like a top champ but Wilder is fast and hell bent crazy enough to jump on those openings.
    I also did not like the fact that AJ gave away his height against Povetkin but I think it was a deliberate tactic that he worked on with his trainer. AJ still used his reach to break down his opponent and had more power fighting lower to the ground.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep, it's what I've been saying. He fought DOWN to his level. And totally drops his left after a jab and/or just paws it out there.

No good, he'll get tagged.

Thread Information