I had a get together in NYC with a number of guys I was in active duty with. I was overjoyed when my platoon leader called and said he would be in the city for business. I know the war is in is controversial and many are against it, believe me I’ve always second guessed shit but when your on the ground and in the shit you don’t process any of that, your fighting for the guy next to you and everything else is out the window. This guy was incredible. I think it was stonewall Jackson who said he was as comfortable in combat as he was laying in bed. That’s how this dude was, never seen anyone like him. Dude would give his life for us and the Afghan civys without a second thought. When I met these guys at the info desk at grand central I couldn’t explain the feelings. The bond u make in the shit is something I can’t explain. The bartender overheard us talking and it turns out he served as well and bought us a round. They are the only guys I can talk with about the shit that happened. It is very true what they say, war is ninety percent boredom and ten percent shear terror. Everyone of the dudes is doing great. A few limps and scars but a few are executives and a few started businesses which are doing well. One guy had a an idea to help soldiers, an addition to an already commonly used piece of equipment which he sold to the military and is doing very well.

Anyway, there are so many other guys I’d love to see again and thank. Especially one particular helicopter pilot who took a very big risk and saved the lot of us. I guess it was a bit of a catharsis, I’ve told a couple stories here like the unapproved truce we made and another in which we got a group to surrender without one shot fired but I forgot how much shit I’ve put out of my mind. Three us are boxing fans so it was a big plus talking some boxing. It’s a shame everyone is scattered across the country. One day was not enough. Alright, excuse me for going on about this it’s just the primary thing on my mind lately. Enjoy life, there were a few empty seats we made a toast to, great people who didn’t make it back. Treat people kindly we never know when someone will be gone.

In closing, don’t drink with marines, it becomes a very serious mission and it takes a number of days to recover.