Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: US needs to beef up its Air Force. Thoughts?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: US needs to beef up its Air Force. Thoughts?

BEIJING, Friday, July 15 - China should use nuclear weapons against the United States if the American military intervenes in any conflict over Taiwan, a senior Chinese military official said Thursday.

"If the Americans draw their missiles and position-guided ammunition on to the target zone on China's territory, I think we will have to respond with nuclear weapons," the official, Maj. Gen. Zhu Chenghu, said at an official briefing.

General Zhu, considered a hawk, stressed that his comments reflected his personal views and not official policy. Beijing has long insisted that it will not initiate the use of nuclear weapons in any conflict.

This is an old article from the NYT but it shows some hawks

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

China is correct. What the hell business is it of the United States to get involved with Taiwan

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    China is correct. What the hell business is it of the United States to get involved with Taiwan

This is about the 2nd time I remember ever agreeing with you on something. Careful..... don't want to start a trend here.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, that is factual, Beanz. Starving Jews did unfortunately have to eat the dead and the leather from their belts. Not very nice. Thought you would have known all this.

I believe in self defence, but not acts of aggression. Every nation has the right to defend itself.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Based on wind resistance, for example, the terminal speed of a skydiver in a belly-to-earth (i.e., face down) free fall position is about 195 km/h (120 mph; 54 m/s).

Note to beanz that is copy and pasted

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

This is about the 2nd time I remember ever agreeing with you on something. Careful..... don't want to start a trend here.
    Next week it'll be "this is about the third time I remember ever agreeing with you on something....."

Tito, time will show it 😨😨😨

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s more geopolitical. We’ve backed Taiwan ever since China fell to Mao. Diplomatically we still “honor” the one China policy but have pushed for Taiwan being autonomous but its a major issue in china. Especially now with China taking over the South China Sea I guess they look at it as a good strategic ally. I don’t know a lot on the subject, I say let Taiwan vote, I do think some of them desire unification with China but only if it could be similar to Hong Kong. They have been an ally and counter balance for 60 years.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

It’s more geopolitical. We’ve backed Taiwan ever since China fell to Mao. Diplomatically we still “honor” the one China policy but have pushed for Taiwan being autonomous but its a major issue in china. Especially now with China taking over the South China Sea I guess they look at it as a good strategic ally. I don’t know a lot on the subject, I say let Taiwan vote, I do think some of them desire unification with China but only if it could be similar to Hong Kong. They have been an ally and counter balance for 60 years.

I still don't see the point. It's not like the U.S. needs to fear a trade war with Taiwan..... or military prowess from Taiwan..... or any kind of threat from Taiwan. I would think in the global arena you pick your friends and enemies. Why piss off China over such a relatively insignificant issue as Taiwan? It's confounding is what it is.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still don't see the point. It's not like the U.S. needs to fear a trade war with Taiwan..... or military prowess from Taiwan..... or any kind of threat from Taiwan. I would think in the global arena you pick your friends and enemies. Why piss off China over such a relatively insignificant issue as Taiwan? It's confounding is what it is.
    On this issue the US is in the moral right. It's a strange one because on others they are in the moral wrong. What bothers me about politics is the lack of consistency. It's almost like a playground and it is scary that this kind of mentality appears to be how the world is governed. Hong Kong is of course very unhappy with how things have developed since ceding from the UK.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it’s an interesting subject I never knew how important it was until I went to China and saw the Chinese news media playing it up constantly.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With a country like the U.S., where economic and national security interests drive almost every international action and posture, you have to constantly play the game of "What do we have to win..... and what do we have to lose." In the case of Taiwan, I fail to see where continuing to irk China over Taiwan serves any of the U.S.'s interests. Are there vast amounts of oil hidden deep below the Taiwanese island that only the U.S. government knows about? If it's strictly noble and humanitarian, then yeah...... I agree with the confounding lack of consistency. But then again I'm no expert on foreign relations. I just feel there must be something more here than meets the eye.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With a country like the U.S., where economic and national security interests drive almost every international action and posture, you have to constantly play the game of "What do we have to win..... and what do we have to lose." In the case of Taiwan, I fail to see where continuing to irk China over Taiwan serves any of the U.S.'s interests. Are there vast amounts of oil hidden deep below the Taiwanese island that only the U.S. government knows about? If it's strictly noble and humanitarian, then yeah...... I agree with the confounding lack of consistency. But then again I'm no expert on foreign relations. I just feel there must be something more here than meets the eye.
    I hear ya tits officially we regocinize Taiwan as part of China but have a pledge to help them with defense

U.S.-TAIWAN RELATIONS

The United States and Taiwan enjoy a robust unofficial relationship. The 1979 U.S.-P.R.C. Joint Communique switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing. In the Joint Communique, the United States recognized the Government of the People's Republic of China as the sole legal government of China, acknowledging the Chinese position that there is but one China and Taiwan is part of China. The Joint Communique also stated that the people of the United States will maintain cultural, commercial, and other unofficial relations with the people of Taiwan. The American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) is responsible for implementing U.S. policy toward Taiwan.

The United States does not support Taiwan independence. Maintaining strong, unofficial relations with Taiwan is a major U.S. goal, in line with the U.S. desire to further peace and stability in Asia. The 1979 Taiwan Relations Act provides the legal basis for the unofficial relationship between the United States and Taiwan, and enshrines the U.S. commitment to assist Taiwan in maintaining its defensive capability. The United States insists on the peaceful resolution of cross-Strait differences, opposes unilateral changes to the status quo by either side, and encourages both sides to continue their constructive dialogue on the basis of dignity and respect.

U.S. Assistance to Taiwan
    U.S. development assistance to Taiwan in the 1950s and 1960s helped Taiwan create a more prosperous economy. Currently, the United States provides no development assistance to Taiwan.

Economic Relations
    The United States has maintained and enhanced its commercial ties with Taiwan since 1979. Taiwan is the United States’ ninth largest trading partner, and the United States is Taiwan’s second largest trading partner. Taiwan enjoys Export-Import Bank financing, Overseas Private Investment Corporation guarantees, normal trade relations status, and ready access to U.S. markets. AIT has been engaged in a series of trade discussions that have focused on protection of intellectual property rights and market access for U.S. goods and services. The United States has a trade and investment framework agreement with Taiwan under the auspices of AIT and the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO) in the United States. As of 2013, companies from Taiwan employed more than 12,000 workers in the United States with total worker compensation of almost a billion dollars.

https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/35855.htm

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it’s an interesting subject I never knew how important it was until I married a Chinese
    it's amazing how some people don't see how important things are until it becomes personal

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it’s an interesting subject I never knew how important it was until I married a Chinese
    it's amazing how some people don't see how important things are until it becomes personal
    Just to be clear the above post was changed, the ordinary Chinese don’t care if Taiwan wants independence, it’s the government concerned with other areas wanting to break away. In xiajiang it’s estimated a million people have been put in government camps. The area is rife with talk of independence and terrorist attacks have happened in Beijing, for some reason we never hear about it, world news is dominated by immigration and how bad trump is. Being being kidnapped by governments means nothing

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Counterbalance is a bunch of nonsense argument. United States should not be anywhere in that area. We're not running on The White Man's Burden anymore it is not 1945

Thread Information