Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Did RJJ Kill HBO Boxing?

HBO dominated the televised boxing market for decades, but recently decided to no longer televise the sport due to decreasing interest from customers. Where HBO enjoyed once enjoyed a stable of most of the top fighters, in recent years it watched that stable reduce to Canelo, GGG, Danny Jacobs, and some smaller weight fighters. While many will point to rival Showtime’s superior business model and talent, as well as Floyd’s departure from HBO to join Showtime as the main reasons, I feel that Roy shares some of the blame as well.

Roy was a phenomenal fighter, an ATG, and a good/smart businessman. Remember that prior to Roy ascending to the top p4p spot you had fighters like Hagler, Chavez, Meldrick Taylor, James Toney, Whitaker, Holyfield, and Tyson taking on top notch competition. Even while Roy was on top you had fighters like Oscar, Shane Mosley, and Fernando Vargas doing the same. After dominating Toney, Roy changed from fighting the best and focused more on minimizing risk while maximizing reward.

Fans initially supported Roy because he was such a dominant and amazing fighter. Potential super fights against Benn, Collins, Liles, And Eubank never came to fruition at 168. Roy unified at 175, but super fights with his most dangerous rival, lineal champ Darius McZlewski, and potential fights with Jirov and Douglas were left to the imagination as well. Roy, and HBO, eventually suffered a “Roycott” that hurt their bottom line, but did result with Roy facing legitimate threats in Ruiz and Tarver.

Where I think Roy shares some blame is that he was the first to put business ahead of what the fans and the suits wanted (a good thing for Roy). I don’t blame Roy at all for that, as the sport has left many great fighters worse off after their careers ended. My point is that Roy changed the way the game was played on HBO and they never adapted, which let Showtime steal their position by creating a superior business model.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did RJJ Kill HBO Boxing?

The title blames Roy Jones but upon reading the thread he get partial blame for killing HBO.

I do not blame Roy, he had long since retired before HBO slowly started disinvesting in boxing and watched their boxing ship sink by all its competitors.

No one is to blame but HBO themselves. If they were interested and motivated they could easily compete. Unfortunately they are not.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rewriting boxing history to fit a personal bias, see it every single day.

A more plausible argument if you want to cast blame is GofT. HBO has had wild success with created content.

El Kabong Guest

RJJ didn't kill boxing on HBO

He was a prodigy, he fought great fighters in his era, he toyed with great fighters in his era, he won titles from middleweight up to a heavyweight title (and he could have done so earlier against Buster Douglas instead of Ruiz which he had planned on but wow Prime RJJ at heavyweight vs Evander Holyfield WHAAAAAAAT would have been crazy). At light heavyweight he ruled supreme and was untouchable until he came back down from heavyweight and from there his career sucks.

He missed some big fights, but hell half that wasn't his fault...Benn, Collins, Eubank...I don't think they wanted him. To some those fighters were more concerned with success in the UK rather than worldwide success. Ottke didn't fight outside of Germany, Michalczewski wanted the fight in Europe, Calzaghe wanted to fight in England, and for whatever reason he didn't even dip a toe in the cruiserweight division...Jirov, Toney II. He never got to fight Gerald McClellan who was injured or Watson who was injured.

Could RJJ have had those bigger fights...yeah I guess, but hell I can look at anyone's record and see where names are missing.

What killed boxing on HBO wasn't Roy at all it was a lack of star power (not great or good or fun to watch fighters, but true STARS), promoters, the rapid rise of UFC and their guerrilla promoting style, and the cards as a whole sucked whereas UFC has worked to build good cards first and superstars second. Boxing doesn't have the stars so now we focus on the cards or we should...and it ain't that other fighters shouldn't be stars like right damn now, but it's that boxing drags behind the time and fans wait until a boxer is finished to lavish them with praise and honors....it's screwy that way.

Also Max Kellerman is a douchebag....where's my old school boxing announcers? Papa, Bernstein, hell I'd take Larry fucking Merchant over Max Kellerman (and I was a dude calling for Kellerman to replace Merchant!!!!).....man how wrong I was. Max Kellerman is just God awful at calling a fight now...I dont' know if ESPN has got to him or Lampley has or what but holy shit he sucks now.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    RJJ didn't kill boxing on HBO

He was a prodigy, he fought great fighters in his era, he toyed with great fighters in his era, he won titles from middleweight up to a heavyweight title (and he could have done so earlier against Buster Douglas instead of Ruiz which he had planned on but wow Prime RJJ at heavyweight vs Evander Holyfield WHAAAAAAAT would have been crazy). At light heavyweight he ruled supreme and was untouchable until he came back down from heavyweight and from there his career sucks.

He missed some big fights, but hell half that wasn't his fault...Benn, Collins, Eubank...I don't think they wanted him. To some those fighters were more concerned with success in the UK rather than worldwide success. Ottke didn't fight outside of Germany, Michalczewski wanted the fight in Europe, Calzaghe wanted to fight in England, and for whatever reason he didn't even dip a toe in the cruiserweight division...Jirov, Toney II. He never got to fight Gerald McClellan who was injured or Watson who was injured.

Could RJJ have had those bigger fights...yeah I guess, but hell I can look at anyone's record and see where names are missing.

What killed boxing on HBO wasn't Roy at all it was a lack of star power (not great or good or fun to watch fighters, but true STARS), promoters, the rapid rise of UFC and their guerrilla promoting style, and the cards as a whole sucked whereas UFC has worked to build good cards first and superstars second. Boxing doesn't have the stars so now we focus on the cards or we should...and it ain't that other fighters shouldn't be stars like right damn now, but it's that boxing drags behind the time and fans wait until a boxer is finished to lavish them with praise and honors....it's screwy that way.

Also Max Kellerman is a douchebag....where's my old school boxing announcers? Papa, Bernstein, hell I'd take Larry fucking Merchant over Max Kellerman (and I was a dude calling for Kellerman to replace Merchant!!!!).....man how wrong I was. Max Kellerman is just God awful at calling a fight now...I dont' know if ESPN has got to him or Lampley has or what but holy shit he sucks now.
    Kellerman is a douche. IMO Steve farhoud on showtime is quite good but they only utilize him for scores

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Kellerman is a douche. IMO Steve farhoud on showtime is quite good but they only utilize him for scores
    Farhoud is solid!

Hell look and listen to Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan or whoever else they have....they hardly ever bash fighters or a fight, they talk strategy, they don't pick a side and cheer, they call/called it pretty straight....where is that in boxing? Is there nobody that does that.

Tessitore is great about that, Teddy Atlas is a classic color commentator HE gives the opinions, he breaks down the strategy, Tessy calls the match and asks some digging questions to Teddy, they do great. Teddy could work on his analogies, but he's better than anyone HBO has.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    RJJ didn't kill boxing on HBOHe was a prodigy, he fought great fighters in his era, he toyed with great fighters in his era, he won titles from middleweight up to a heavyweight title (and he could have done so earlier against Buster Douglas instead of Ruiz which he had planned on but wow Prime RJJ at heavyweight vs Evander Holyfield WHAAAAAAAT would have been crazy). At light heavyweight he ruled supreme and was untouchable until he came back down from heavyweight and from there his career sucks.He missed some big fights, but hell half that wasn't his fault...Benn, Collins, Eubank...I don't think they wanted him. To some those fighters were more concerned with success in the UK rather than worldwide success. Ottke didn't fight outside of Germany, Michalczewski wanted the fight in Europe, Calzaghe wanted to fight in England, and for whatever reason he didn't even dip a toe in the cruiserweight division...Jirov, Toney II. He never got to fight Gerald McClellan who was injured or Watson who was injured.Could RJJ have had those bigger fights...yeah I guess, but hell I can look at anyone's record and see where names are missing.What killed boxing on HBO wasn't Roy at all it was a lack of star power (not great or good or fun to watch fighters, but true STARS), promoters, the rapid rise of UFC and their guerrilla promoting style, and the cards as a whole sucked whereas UFC has worked to build good cards first and superstars second. Boxing doesn't have the stars so now we focus on the cards or we should...and it ain't that other fighters shouldn't be stars like right damn now, but it's that boxing drags behind the time and fans wait until a boxer is finished to lavish them with praise and honors....it's screwy that way.Also Max Kellerman is a douchebag....where's my old school boxing announcers? Papa, Bernstein, hell I'd take Larry fucking Merchant over Max Kellerman (and I was a dude calling for Kellerman to replace Merchant!!!!).....man how wrong I was. Max Kellerman is just God awful at calling a fight now...I dont' know if ESPN has got to him or Lampley has or what but holy shit he sucks now.
    Unfortunately, Max is also a libtard these days too.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Missed opportunities abound as HBO exits boxing with a whimper

For 45 years, HBO has been the one constant in a boxing fan’s life. The premium cable network took a while to get rolling after it entered the boxing space by airing the 1973 heavyweight title match between Joe Frazier and George Foreman in Kingston, Jamaica, and it’s kind of chugged to an unnatural death over the last five or so years.

But for 35 of those 45 years, you couldn’t be a boxing fan without a subscription to HBO. It kept the sport alive, when network television turned its back on boxing, and when basic cable channels didn’t have the budget to obtain the rights to mega-fights.

The final episode of HBO’s once-iconic “World Championship Boxing,” franchise will be on Saturday in Atlantic City, when Dmitry Bivol defends the WBA light heavyweight title against Jean Pascal. There will be one more HBO show after Saturday, a “Boxing After Dark” card on Dec. 8, but HBO’s reputation was built on its WCB series, so in many ways, Saturday’s show is the end.

It’s this kind of show — a one-sided mismatch — that has pushed HBO to this point. Bivol is one of boxing’s best young fighters, and has big-time star potential. Instead of showcasing him in a compelling bout that will force him to display his many skills, HBO has green-lighted a long over-the-hill Pascal as the opponent.

Odds range as high as 20-1 in Bivol’s favor. If this was the Bivol of 2018 against the Pascal of, oh, 2010, maybe this would be a date you’d circle on the calendar. Pascal is long past his use-by date and it figures to be an easy win for Bivol.

Instead of this kind of dreck, HBO would have been far better producing a 90-minute, or two-hour, retrospective looking back at the last 45 years. HBO does plan to do a look back on its final show, on Dec. 8, but it won’t be a separate program and won’t go into the depth that it should.

This was an opportunity for HBO to pass the baton in a meaningful way. It’s a no-brainer to show highlights of the hundreds of incredible fights HBO broadcast in its nearly half-century in the boxing business, but it could and should have done so much more.

How about a show that convened experts to look at the state of boxing and assess where it is going? It could have examined what went wrong that led to boxing’s decline, how it has responded to the growth of MMA and what it needs to do in the future to regain some of its lost stature.

It could have dispatched its “Real Sports” team to examine boxer safety, and exposed holes in the system that need to be patched.

Certainly a countdown of, say, the 10 or 25 greatest fights in HBO history would have been merited.

But no, instead of any of that, “World Championship Boxing” goes out with a whimper, with a fight which has little competitive interest and without a nod to a sport that literally helped build the network.

Its final show will get next-to-no ratings. Fight-wise, it will go head-to-head with ESPN’s offering of Vasiliy Lomachenko against Jose Pedraza and UFC 231, which features an incredible main event between Max Holloway and Brian Ortega.

Boxing seems to be on an upswing. Top Rank’s super lightweight title fight last week between champion Maurice Hooker and challenger Alex Saucedo did shockingly well in the ratings. The bout started just before midnight ET, and averaged 950,000 viewers, peaking at just over a million.

In recent years, that’s the kind of bout that would have gotten an audience of maybe a half-million, likely less. Its lead-in was an NBA game between the Milwaukee Bucks and Chicago Bulls, which averaged 1.7 million viewers. But the boxing card maintained more than half its audience despite starting at 11:51 p.m. ET, and it fared well with men 18-49 and 12-34.

It shows there is an appetite for the sport. It needs to be promoted and marketed far better than it has been, but what has become abundantly clear over the last year or so is that A) boxing isn’t simply an old man’s sport; B) fans aren’t inherently turned off by boxing; and C) a compelling match will get, and retain, a considerable audience.

HBO made a business decision to leave the sport, and no one can quarrel with that.

But it owed the many fans who subscribed to the network for years only for its boxing coverage more on its way out the door. It could have put on a far better, more compelling fight, for starters, but it could have used its institutional knowledge of the boxing business and its great team of reporters to dig into where the sport has been, where it is and where it is heading.

Instead, we see up-front why boxing failed on HBO and why it is succeeding at rival Showtime: Showtime has a passion and a commitment to the sport from the top down that is missing at HBO. It’s hard to imagine that if Showtime Sports president Stephen Espinoza were forced to quit airing boxing, he’d try to slip away like a thief in the night instead of doing a grand send-off.

HBO was a boxing fan’s best friend for years — Who can forget Ali-Frazier III, Arguello-Pryor, Barrera-Morales, Leonard-Hearns, Tyson-Douglas and Gatti-Ward? — but its demise is the result of self-inflicted wounds.

P.T. Barnum is alleged to have once said “Always leave them wanting more,” but let’s be honest: HBO is going away because it chose to air bouts like Bivol-Pascal far too often over the last decade. Enough is enough and on Saturday, it will come to a merciful end.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/mis...202134315.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information