Likes Likes:  79
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Manny Pacquiao vs. Adrien Broner

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Manny Pacquiao vs. Adrien Broner

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Like I said I'm rooting for Pac, if only so I can get to watch Boner asking for daddy to comb his hair.
    All this fight is, is an attention grab. It's "Hey Floyd, Floyd, look at me Floyd, look what I can do Floyd, fight me next Floyd" whether it's Manny or Broner who wins or looks good. This isn't about a title, it isn't about anything other than attempting to be relevant on the "Senior Tour" of boxing and it's fucking sad Adrien Broner is already in that group.

Let's be honest the Floyd-Manny fight was an Exhibition bout at best, Manny had already been laid out face first, the spark of interest in the fight was gone with Manny's consciousness...no reason at all to have that fight after that bout and here we are now looking for a rematch? Why? Are boxing fans masochists?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...id=mailsignout

It was announced today for the 19th of Jan. It'll be on Showtime PPV.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As a stand alone fight it's not bad, should be reasonably good to watch and a decent clash of styles. Of course kabong is right that it's a ploy to drum up whatever interest they can for a Floyd comeback. The majority of people who buy ppvs aren't boxing fans, so like it or not that would probably still be the most lucrative fight in the sport by a good margin.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m going to admit right now there is an 85% chance I’ll get this. It is a bit off a toss up as I have showtime right now and a week or two after the fight they replay it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s PPV? Seriously? I would in no way order this fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Showtime is making a mistake with ppv. Just like Arum did with Manny v Horn at 6 AM espn+ on a workday here. HBO is dead in the water, you are the last remaining 'premier' cable channel so give the fans a big fight to start the year. I get that it's Manny and he is milking his remaining career but I can't pay for that. FFS it's Broner . All he'll do is take my hand full of 20's and film himself using them to wipe his arse in some fast food restaraunt. True story .

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They're greedy bastards (Showtime). They don't know any better.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The above comments prove my point about people Stateside being more discerning or choosy about PPV than in the UK. People debating about the values of this Whereas in the UK , we have Whyte/Chisora, Bellew/Haye (Twice) and Bellew/Cleverley ffs.
    I know the cost comes into it, and for some reason PPV in the states is about 2 or 3 times more expensive than the UK . If this was in the UK, not only would it be PPV, they would probably dedicate a whole channel to this 24/7 !!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    If this was in the UK, not only would it be PPV, they would probably dedicate a whole channel to this 24/7 !!

....that's all I have to say about that

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    The above comments prove my point about people Stateside being more discerning or choosy about PPV than in the UK. People debating about the values of this Whereas in the UK , we have Whyte/Chisora, Bellew/Haye (Twice) and Bellew/Cleverley ffs.
    I know the cost comes into it, and for some reason PPV in the states is about 2 or 3 times more expensive than the UK . If this was in the UK, not only would it be PPV, they would probably dedicate a whole channel to this 24/7 !!
    That’s because we are smarter and don’t pay money for garbage fights 😂

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quite the contrast: Senator Manny vs Adrien Broner

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dressed in a sharp gray suit and tie, Manny Pacquiao looked every bit the senator he is.

It was his other job, though, that he was working Monday when the eight-time champion announced a Jan. 19 defense of his WBA welterweight belt against Adrien Broner.

''He's one of the top boxers out there,'' Pacquiao said of Broner, who attended the news conference in slightly different garb: torn jeans adorned with spangles, a T-shirt and black jacket. ''Adrien Broner is a high-caliber fighter.

''I have no problem to fight at 140 (pounds), it's my natural weight. I can't say I am avoiding (opponents), that is not my style. I am willing to find other fighters to fight, too, I am available to fight at 140, 147. It is 147 for this fight.''

Pacquiao will be 40 when he enters the ring at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas to take on the 29-year-old Broner. It will be the Filipino's 70th fight in a career that began in 1995 and has included titles in weight classes from flyweight to welterweight. He hasn't fought in the United States in two years.

Referred to by his followers as Senator Manny, Pacquiao won and then lost the WBO welterweight crown following his lopsided loss to Floyd Mayweather in a May 2015 megafight. In July, he knocked out Lucas Matthysse for the WBA title, Pacquiao's first KO victory since 2009 when he stopped Miguel Cotto in the final round.

His government role will be placed aside, Pacquiao claims, while he prepares for Broner.

''My opponent is fast, good, and I have to work hard and train hard so the people will be happy on Jan. 19 when we give them a good fight,'' said Pacquiao, who flashed a mischievous smile when asked if another encounter with the currently retired Mayweather might be in the future.

''I am fighting Adrien Broner,'' Pacquiao said, adding he was with Mayweather in Japan and mentioned that he, not Mayweather, owned a belt, so ''you come challenge me.''

Broner views this as his chance to ''become a legend.'' As he strutted around the stage, his words at first were respectful toward Pacquiao, whom Broner ''dreamed of fighting when I was a kid.''

Soon, though, Broner was back to being Broner, the boastful, say-anything-character who likes talking trash as much as throwing leather.

''He ain't fighting Floyd, he's fighting me,'' Broner said. ''He's gotta get past me first.

''Of course, things he's done in the game are unbelievable. I know Jan. 19 I gotta be at the top of my game. I'm gonna (mess) him up.''

Broner, from Cincinnati, is 33-3-1 with 24 knockouts. But he didn't win either of his most recent fights, losing a unanimous decision to Mikey Garcia, who won his 36th straight, in July last year, and then drawing with Jessie Vargas.

Which means recent results indicate neither he nor Pacquiao is in his prime or close to it. Still, they are big enough names for Showtime to put the fight on pay-per-view television.

Both men were asked if they are elite boxers now. Neither flinched in answering.

''Yes, of course,'' Pacquiao insisted. ''I want to fight the greatest opponents in the world and one of them is Adrien Broner. I can fight anybody.''

Broner shook his head and smirked when queried on his skill level these days.

''I'm gonna do me; he's gotta worry about what I do,'' Broner said. ''I know what he can do.

''I got three losses, he's got (seven). He's been knocked out; we know he can go to sleep. I got the stuff to do it. I'll hit the jackpot overnight.''

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/quite-co...5532--box.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Boner probably can't even spell "Senator."

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Broner wins he will call out Floyd.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

El Kabong Guest

If Broner wins he will call out Floyd.
    Floyd isn't fighting anymore, he's competing in Exhibition bouts for which he'll be lavishly paid, but let's all face facts Floyd isn't stepping in the ring with ANYONE who has a chance against him....that's a shame because there certainly ARE guys who I'd like to see him fight, but the issue will ALWAYS be "They don't draw like Floyd" and of course they don't/won't.

Manny Pacquiao will be 40 years old by fight night....Adrien Broner is 29 and his career is already shot, we're not talking about him winning a title or defending a title, he's been beaten 3 times already, humiliated....he's not going to resurrect his career even if he can beat old man Pacqiao.

I don't know why Floyd doesn't fight once a year just to make that money in the exhibition bouts like vs McGregor.....if he fights either Pac or Broner it's pretty much like the Senior Tour of boxing.

Floyd doesn't want Terrence Crawford? Spence? Porter? Thurman? Garcia? Hurd? Charlo? Prograis?

Floyd COULD go school Canelo again super easy and make gigantic fucking earth shattering history and win the middleweight titles....but he's not going to do it.

I can't hate on Floyd for taking the easy money, but as a fan it's frustrating.

Thread Information