Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Exactly how badly the British deal with Snow

With a headline like

UK snow forecast: Drivers warned to take care on roads as heavy snow and ice to cause widespread travel disruption

You would think there is some seriously bad weather on the way

In British minds it is going to be like this

The reality is a lot more like this

Up to 10cm of snow could fall on higher ground, while up to 3cm could accumulate on lower-lying levels.

Full story here - https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/u...-a4051171.html
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Exactly how badly the British deal with Snow

I just cleared 8” by hand because my snowblower broke and I have a very long driveway but in your defense certain states in the US are not prepared for snow as they hardly get it and it can shut down entire areas. Three years ago we got five feet in a blizzard. Snow really is a pain I the ass and the first storm of the year is where we see a lot of accidents I guess people forget quickly

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I lived in Houston a while back, and we were let off work early because apx 0.001" of snow fell. People were slipping and sliding and it was a real mess. I had just moved down from NW Indiana, where there were 3 feet of snow on the ground and people were like meh. Perspective, I guess.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My mom grew up in northern Manitoba, straight polar bear country. We used to go visit her family in the winter, I remember she’d wake me up to go outside, you Could stick your hand out and literally not see it, just a white wall.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We do make a huge deal out of snow and people wanted to cancel meetings. So far it is minor snow that has melted.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is from cnn and it’s actually true

CNN) — "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds," the saying goes.
    But whoever said that didn't face weather of the kind predicted for Wednesday. So postal workers won't be out delivering anything in six entire states, and parts of four others.
    The US Postal Service said Tuesday night on Facebook that because of the predicted deteriorating weather conditions in the Midwest, delivery will be suspended in some areas.
    The list of regions and states affected: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and parts of Kansas, Missouri, Montana and Nebraska.

Minnesota could see 70 degree below wind chill
    Even for the hardiest, cold-tested Americans, this week's deep freeze is brutal, with dozens of temperature and wind chill records expected to occur from the Dakotas to Long Island, leading to warnings for people to stay inside.
    In Minnesota, blustery weather could mean wind chills that could approach 70 below.
    "These are VERY DANGEROUS conditions and can lead to frostbite on exposed skin in as little as five minutes where wind chill values are below -50," the National Weather Service office near Minneapolis and St. Paul tweeted. "Best thing you can do is limit your time outside."

Mind u we just got through a storm in my area. Outside temps were 1 degree Fahrenheit but -15 with the windchill. We lost power for 24hrs and my internal temp on my house hit 37’ Fahrenheit

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is some extreme weather in Chicago. We have it easy in comparison.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Brits are absolutely useless with cold weather and snow, with the possible exception of people in the Scottish Highland and the Welsh Miuntains.

Just reading the news about Chicago puts our uselessness in perspective, just as it does whenever I talk to my Canadian relatives!
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I I ever dealt with minus 60-70 but last week alone nights we were minus 20 (farenheight) I chills not only you but your entire family tree

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So cold you are advised not to talk out in public. very cold indeed.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

-50 is clearly nonsense, at -5 i've kept my central heating off and spent all day naked. Prove i'm freezing my bollocks off? It's just what "they" want you to believe
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dudes I got up today it was minus 8 degrees farenheight. I gotta tell u after that -20 -30 I’m getting used to it but next week it’s gonna be 56 degrees farenheight. It’ll feel like somewhere. When it’s this cold your car makes strange noises and god forbid u have a breakdown on the highway. I was driving yesterday, it was 10 farenheight and an elderly lady was disabled on the side of the road. I pulled over asked if she had roadside service or family that could come change it, of course she didn’t. It was the last thing I wanted to do but I changed her damn tire. I had hand surgery a month ago as well so I’m not supposed to do that but the lady had to be eighty and I couldn’t just leave. It really sucked though

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Changing a tire in sub-freezing weather's gotta be hell, especially after hand surgery. Hope you don't have any major setbacks. Good job though, bro.

When I lived in NW Indiana my car used to sleep outside. Once I came back from vacation (in P.R.) and found my car with a flat tire. As I was changing it I couldn't help but marveling at how the damn thing stayed in pancake shape, even in the trunk. A flat frozen solid. Another story was when I first moved up there. Got a used car and tried to put on the license plate while waiting for my wife to come out of the grocery store. It was some kind of subzero temperature, and I couldn't be two minutes without my gloves. WITH the gloves, I couldn't negotiate the plate screws properly...... and WITHOUT the gloves, I didn't have enough time before my hands became two blocks of ice. I ended up slamming the license plate into the trunk of the car, and praying I wouldn't get stopped on the way home. Next day it was less cold, and I was able to do the menial job.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was crazy tits. Luckily since I’m a landlord I keep a lot of tools in the trunk including lighting and these real heavy work gloves. Luckily none of her lug nuts were seized. I can normally change a tire in ten minutes but I had to keep going to my car to sit and warm up. It’s was good though. Oh and the hand surgery was getting a piece of bone cut off of my finger, I broke it last year and it didn’t heal right. I actually started a broken finger thread last year. It was a pity fuck thread and didn’t go over well. Bottom line though, we gotta help each other out when we can. I’ve never been to Indiana is it nice?

Thread Information