So I pulled up my driveway yesterday and parked. I sat for a couple minutes gathering my stuff and noticed some movement in my backyard. It was then I noticed two bobcats strolling through my backyard. My state was at one time on 30% wooded areas and bobcats had just about left the entire state. We are now 60% wooded and many animals, including black bears, coyotes and a few others are returning. Despite the freezing winter and three snow storms we had the bobcats looked healthy and fat. A couple things surprised. Me, it was daylight and there were two of them walking within about four feet of each other. Normally you don’t see animals like that during daytime and the other is I always thought they were solitary beings. Anyway I had to contact the department of environmental protection as they are trying to figure out how big the bobcat population is. They capture them, put a gps tag on them and release them to get more info on them. They asked if the two I saw were tagged and I informed them they are not. Oddly, even though bobcats are small they are still the top predator in the state. They are not prey for any other animal but I think the same could be said for coyotes or bears but whatever. So the DEP May come over with dart guns and see what they can see.

I also called our town police so they can warn families with small children and or pets. Seeing a bobcat is not like seeing a lynx, Jaguar, mountain lion but they definitely are cool animals. Apparently they will scout out areas during the day to pick the best hunting grounds so apparently I shouldn’t let my poor little house cat out for a while. The damn bobcats will prob eat all her mouse anyway