Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Lee Selby v Gustavo Lemos

Lee Selby: Welshman to fight Gustavo Lemos in Argentina

Former IBF featherweight champion Lee Selby will fight in Argentina as he faces the undefeated Gustavo Lemos in a final eliminator to meet lightweight champion George Kambosos Jr.

The fight is scheduled for Saturday, 26 March at Luna Park in Buenos Aires.

Selby lost a split decision to Kambosos at Wembley Arena in October 2020.

Lemos, 25, has won all of his 28 fights as a professional and is ranked third by the IBF, while 35-year old Selby is ranked fourth by the organisation.

The fight will be hosted in Argentina after Lemos' promoters won the purse bid and gives Selby a chance to become the first two-weight world champion from Wales.

"My final eliminator for the IBF Lightweight World Title is all set for 26 March at the historic Estadio Luna Park in Buenos Aires, Argentina," Selby said.

"Trust me I'm ready and hungrier than ever to secure that world title shot."

Australian Kambosos stunned American Teofimo Lopez on a split decision in New York in November to hold the WBA, WBO and IBF lightweight belts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/60572645
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lee Selby v Gustavo Lemos

lee had no idea what he was signing up for
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Welshman is beaten by Gustavo Lemos and hints at retirement

Welsh boxer Lee Selby has hinted he could retire after losing by stoppage for the first time in his career at the hands of Gustavo Lemos in Argentina.

Selby was hoping for a chance to win a world title at lightweight, with this bout a final eliminator for the IBF lightweight title.

However, Selby, 34, was stopped in the fifth round by Lemos, who also floored the Welshman in the fourth round.

Lemos should now get a chance to fight champion George Kambosos Jr.

There will be a feeling of what have been for Selby, a former IBF featherweight world champion, who lost a split decision to Kambosos in a lightweight fight at Wembley Arena in October 2020.

Victory in that fight would have set up a huge bout and massive payday against American Teofimo Lopez, who was beaten on a split decision in New York in November by Kambosos Jr, who won the WBA, WBO and IBF lightweight belts.

Selby was bidding for the opportunity to become the first two-weight world champion from Wales, but was never able to dominate his unbeaten opponent at Luna Park in Buenos Aires.

Selby, 28-4, has now lost three of his last five fights, since Josh Warrington won his world featherweight title at Elland Road in 2018.

The Welsh boxer did mark his opponent in an even first round, before Lemos began to dominate, hurting Selby at the end of the third round and forcing him to take a knee in the fourth, before another flurry of unanswered punches in the fifth sent Selby to the canvas again, with the referee stepping in to wave off proceedings.

"A tough loss to take but sadly time waits for no man," Selby wrote on social media. "Getting hard to go toe to toe with these young guns 10 years my junior.

"Thanks for all the support back home, I'm all OK.

"Congratulations to Gustavo Lemos on the victory."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/60892103

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

how good would a fight between el electrico gustavo & chon zepeda be? here's the lee selby fight
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Might have been interesting if Selby could break and egg. Other than Lemos falling apart, there was virtually no way for Selby to get a result there. Not sure if he's announced a retirement yet but I'm not sure what other option he has. The skills that served him so well will only erode further and he has nothing else to trade on.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow! There is a shot fighter if ever I saw one. He is such a different fighter to when he was in his prime. Sad to see really, when I used to really appreciate him as a Boxer.
    He never had power , but I’ve never seen Selby get hit so much. He’s still big at the weight, but he’s getting hit too much.
    Credit to Lemos, he looks a good fighter, but he’s gonna have to wait in line for Kambossos jr. By the looks of things.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

gustavo has also campaigned at one forty so he could have options there as well

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lee Selby: Former world champion retires

Lee Selby, Wales' 12th and most recent world champion boxer, has announced his retirement from the sport.

The 35-year-old made the announcement on social media in the wake of his defeat to Gustavo Lemos in Argentina last month, the first time in his career he had lost by stoppage.

Selby held the world IBF featherweight title from 2015 to 2018.

"I exit the ring with no regrets, happy, healthy and my family financially secure," he wrote.

Selby has called time on a professional career which spanned 14 years, having made his debut in 2008 on a small hall show in Newport against Sid Razak.

He won Celtic and Welsh titles before his first notable career victory saw him upset Stephen Smith in 2011 in Liverpool to win the Commonwealth featherweight title.

Another notable away-day victory saw Selby beat Martin Lindsey in Belfast in 2013 to capture the British title and edge towards a world title opportunity.

That eventually - and perhaps belatedly - came in 2015 when Selby stopped the unbeaten Evgeny Gradovich to become IBF featherweight world champion.

The Barry-boxer successfully defended his title five times before losing it to Josh Warrington in a stadium fight at Leeds' Elland Road.

Selby won his next two fights, but suffered a contentious split-decision defeat to George Kambosos, who went on to beat Teofimo Lopez to become lightweight world champion.

Selby's last fight was an eliminator for another shot at Kambosos, but he was stopped by Lemos.

"After 27 years as an amateur and professional boxer, I know the time is right for me to hang up the gloves," Selby wrote in a statement.

"Being raised on the council estate in Barry, south Wales, you learn early on about adversity. For many young people the burden of growing up in poverty takes its toll, but boxing saved me more than I ever thought possible."

Selby admits he had to work hard to reach the levels he did, especially as he was not the most naturally talented member of his family, with his brother Andrew also boxing professionally.

"I am forever grateful to my mum and dad who took me and my brothers to Rhoose Amateur Boxing Club and Craig Smyth who always supported me. I had around 90 amateur contests, but it was my brother Andrew who was the star attraction for the Selby family in the amateurs," he added.

"I had to do things the hard way, going the traditional route winning every possible title along the way including the Welsh, Celtic, British, Commonwealth, European and IBF world title. I won the Lonsdale belt outright and successfully defended my world title on five occasions.

"Of my 32 professional contests, 22 of those bouts were either title fights or 12-round contests. I am proud to be the 12th Welshman to win a world title and my name will now forever sit in the record books alongside those great fighters. When I look back on my career, I have realised everything I set out to achieve.

"My biggest thank you goes to all my fans, your support over the years has been incredible. I exit the ring with no regrets, happy, healthy and with my family financially secure. Boxing has been my life and I am sure my involvement in the sport will continue in the years to come as I look to set new goals."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/60995734

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he’s made totally the right decision. I hope he has enough money not to change his mind and wish him a happy retirement. Good guy.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think he just came up against the wrong guy. his team let him down by taking this fight. it was always going to end badly

Thread Information