Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  33
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxing has changed. Whether we like the changes or not is something else.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing has changed. Whether we like the changes or not is something else.

I became a boxing fan very young, probably around the time of Ali-Frazier. Since then, I followed the sport, becoming a fan of great fighters and exciting, competitive fights. I favored our own native fighters, like Gomez, Benitez, and De Jesus. But I also loved other exciting, ATG fighters like SRL, Hearns, and Duran. But no matter what, I enjoyed how fighters would fight anyone... anywhere... any time... anyhow. There were no catchweights (or at least well-publicized ones). There were no divas prancing around, skipping around weight divisions, looking for easy prey... just for the sake of grabbing a meaningless trinket. The loss of an "0" wasn't as feared as it is now. Great fighters lost... and then they came back and won. That made them even greater. Sometimes they would avenge their defeats. There was no social media... so there wasn't this casual fan/ groupie adulation that the pretty faces of today enjoy. Fans were knowledgeable, and judged fighters on their level of competition, INCLUDING "WHEN" this competition was faced. If a fighter waited for "X" or "Y" to get old, he was ridiculed. But it didn't happen that much anyway. Fighters were liked or disliked because of their personalities... maybe their behavior outside the ring... their styles... etc. They weren't liked or disliked based on groupie numbers. To this... we add the scourge of PPV and streaming services, charging us for what used to be free. Not only that... but the PPV bar keeps getting lower by the minute. Nowadays, any Joe Blow merits a PPV fight. To add insult to injury, shady judging continues unabated. The WBC has done everything except for taking an ad out in the newspaper announcing how they'll favor Canelo in all decisions till his dying days. Boxing is full of shady decision after shady decision... and us boxing fans bellyache for awhile... then we forget about it and beg for more.

This has all been said before. But the other day I was browsing social media, and I found a quote that honestly made me laugh out loud. So I did what any decent person would do... I stole it.

Being a boxing fan these days is like standing there and being repeatedly kicked in the balls and being charged for it.
    With every fight announcement you wait in hope that the bollock kicking will stop.
    Only to be kicked harder the next time.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing has changed. Whether we like the changes or not is something else.

Boxing is in a low spot right now. The talent and skill are low- though there are some very skilled and talented fighters out there. The dedication is low because life is generally pretty easy these days. So many of these guys would rather put effort into getting 'likes' and 'followers' than put it into learning how to fight, though there are some very dedicated guys out there.
    In this era, guys not only expect you to get them easy fights- they actually expect it- they demand easy sparring. They are fucking afraid to lose a round in the gym. My partner and I were helping out a guy- he comes from a fighting family- and he was sparring with Donaire, Oubili, Stevenson, Rigondeaux. He was getting great work in the gym. The mistake we made- and a lot of this was covid pressures, as far as fight availability- was having him fight several times in Mexico. They matched him very soft. So he gets to 10-0 and he needed to fight an opponent with a winning record and he rebelled. Now he has an Edgar haircut and calls everybody 'cuh."

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing has changed. Whether we like the changes or not is something else.

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Boxing is in a low spot right now. The talent and skill are low- though there are some very skilled and talented fighters out there. The dedication is low because life is generally pretty easy these days. So many of these guys would rather put effort into getting 'likes' and 'followers' than put it into learning how to fight, though there are some very dedicated guys out there.
    In this era, guys not only expect you to get them easy fights- they actually expect it- they demand easy sparring. They are fucking afraid to lose a round in the gym. My partner and I were helping out a guy- he comes from a fighting family- and he was sparring with Donaire, Oubili, Stevenson, Rigondeaux. He was getting great work in the gym. The mistake we made- and a lot of this was covid pressures, as far as fight availability- was having him fight several times in Mexico. They matched him very soft. So he gets to 10-0 and he needed to fight an opponent with a winning record and he rebelled. Now he has an Edgar haircut and calls everybody 'cuh."
    reminds me of this quote:

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.” kind of reflective of the world we live in today. i feel this year has been great so far for boxing. there have been some really good fights, almost every week, top fights are getting made, although not enough & inactivity is a big problem these days. access to some of these fights can also be difficult to watch live for many. tank v king ry seemed to be a turning point & since then a number of good big fights have come together
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Absolutely without a doubt. Hard subject not to just go all random and rant over tbh . I'll try to avoid the best impression of an old geezer on his front lawn waving his fist at the "kids" and yelling about back in the day . But simply some of the biggest changes I've noticed over last 5-10 years as a big fan..

When did a fighters pay, the split and contract talking points become such a major factor to the everyday fan . I've noticed it so much over last few years. Once there's a disagreement or a fight falls thru the go-to is now many fans arguing and advocating as if they are a part of management or the fighter's accountant. It's almost become as big a talking point as the fighters actual record and path taken to the fight. Fans talking about "smart money path" for top tier talents taking bullcrap fights, or not fighting at all. It's foreign to me . Last I checked we're not getting a cut.

Inactivity! It's the new way. And it wrecks a fighter's momentum and natural development. We have world champions that have not fought in years and are allowed to remain so. I have a thing I do randomly now. Anytime I see a fighter mentioned or an article, a name of past eras mentioned etc. is just go look at their record and activity level. Majority of the time guys of the 80's 90's 00's were heads and shoulders above many fighting today. No not all major events, but the activity and tune ups were very much there. Fighters today tend to 'fight' more on social media than they do an actual ring. Fighting so regularly then was the build! You had to fight! There was no sitting in your boxers drunk gabbing and whining on twatter about why a fight is not happening and whose fault it was . The marketing and it was very common for big names to already have big fights signed while going into another. Appearing on the same major card for that specific reason of building to another event.

Sub services and outlets. This one will reveal me as a fossil refusing to adapt to change. But add up costs of apps, ppvs and other streaming services. It's into the thousands annually for a fan. You're forced to drop one or two and they know no boundaries with what they offer. Dazn we're looking at you. The offerings have clearly lost quality but at the same time their rates have tripled. PPV has gone from the exception to the new rule. The short attention span quick money grab mindset has taken over. I hear every day about how "there are so many more ways to view" now but in actuality unless you're booting a stream or just like burning your money, you end up skipping some decent cards. Pick and choose. And again, in some cases the production quality is utter crap and unreliable. Now as far as locations and Global exposure it's great! Yes we have live fights from Japan to Mexico to the UK. Boxing is and always has been a Global sport, not stricly a US sport. But the regularity and availability tend to vary. What I remember as a fan coming up was the consistency of regular programming. Had them literally listed as a fan schedule. At the peak maybe between 90's to late 00's locally it was...
    Monday...Fight night from the Great westren Forum. OR a card on HSE out of Fla OR a card from NY.
    Tuesday...USA Tuesday Night Fights. Always! It was awesome. And they would replay some PPV main events.
    Wednesday and Thursday...well usually off nights
    Friday...ESPN FNF or regular ESPN. Also FOX sports cards and regular cards on Unimas.
    Saturday...everything. HBO maybe every other month. Showtime (when it was great) the same and often they went head to head. Or a PPV. If you missed the PPV or did not get, HBO would repeat the full main event a week later. They layered it to boast viewership with live cards. As well as 'free' 1 or 2 fight cards on regular cable during the afternoon.
    Sunday...midday replay cards on Univision of title fights from various Countries. Also Afternoon cards on maybe Wide World of Sports etc.

Shit man we're old . So many aspects have changed.

Social media has become a crutch to some fighters. Over exposure for some but for all the wrong reason. Went off on a ramble so I'll rant on that later.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    When did a fighters pay, the split and contract talking points become such a major factor to the everyday fan . I've noticed it so much over last few years. Once there's a disagreement or a fight falls thru the go-to is now many fans arguing and advocating as if they are a part of management or the fighter's accountant. It's almost become as big a talking point as the fighters actual record and path taken to the fight. Fans talking about "smart money path" for top tier talents taking bullcrap fights, or not fighting at all. It's foreign to me . Last I checked we're not getting a cut.

THIS! If you resemble an old geezer on your front lawn yelling at the kids... I'm right there along with you, throwing a few rocks as well. In fact, I've complained about this before. (Probably a few years ago). Fans talking contracts and negotiations like it was THEIR money being discussed.

And yes... inactivity... streaming services and PPVs... and the social media monster. If complaining about these makes you old... then I guess I'm ancient.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with all the sentiments of the posts in this thread.

Free boxing is now rare and a very poor standard on Channel 5. Gone are the days we saw Mike Tyson on ITV or Benn v Eubanks v Watson. Sky took the boxing away and it has then further dispersed through BT, FITE and DAZN. No way a fan of the sport could follow that legally.

The PPV are too regular, overpriced and very poor.

The top boxers are too well paid so now they do not box regularly and avoid the dangerous fighters unless they have no other option and is their last resort. It was frustrating that Fury did not fight Usyk and is now really taking on an exhibition fight when he should be undisputed champion.

The young boxers coming up like Ben Whitaker have to work even harder to get some exposure. They do not have a free to air TV channels where you can watch them grow and develop to learn their trade as we saw with Bruno/Herol Graham/Barry McGuigan on BBC.

Minor celebrities and fighters from other disciplines are earning vast amounts of money and receiving exposure that real boxers are becoming side lined. Teo v Josh Taylor was in a small part of MSG instead You tubers get bigger crowds boxing non-boxers. That is truly wrong.

We are hardcore fans of boxing on this site and if we have a hard time following it then the casuals have no idea what is happening to the sport.

Boxing has made itself a minority sport chasing the money at all costs and throwing away it's values and principles.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Free boxing is now rare and a very poor standard on Channel 5. Gone are the days we saw Mike Tyson on ITV or Benn v Eubanks v Watson. Sky took the boxing away and it has then further dispersed through BT, FITE and DAZN. No way a fan of the sport could follow that legally.

The top boxers are too well paid so now they do not box regularly and avoid the dangerous fighters unless they have no other option and is their last resort. It was frustrating that Fury did not fight Usyk and is now really taking on an exhibition fight when he should be undisputed champion.

The young boxers coming up like Ben Whitaker have to work even harder to get some exposure. They do not have a free to air TV channels where you can watch them grow and develop to learn their trade as we saw with Bruno/Herol Graham/Barry McGuigan on BBC.

Minor celebrities and fighters from other disciplines are earning vast amounts of money and receiving exposure that real boxers are becoming side lined. Teo v Josh Taylor was in a small part of MSG instead You tubers get bigger crowds boxing non-boxers. That is truly wrong.

We are hardcore fans of boxing on this site and if we have a hard time following it then the casuals have no idea what is happening to the sport.

Boxing has made itself a minority sport chasing the money at all costs and throwing away it's values and principles.

100%

Thanks, because I had forgotten to mention the current fad of celebrities and non-boxers getting into the sport and commanding PPV money. You've got the YouTubers, the MMA wannabe-boxers, and a few other Joe Blows invading the spotlight. To that you can add the exhibitions by 50-some year old ex-boxers... and you've got yourself a 3-ring circus. Don't get me wrong. I don't begrudge a Mike Tyson getting into the ring and showing he's still "got it" somewhat. But for the most part, this takes away from boxing, and adds fuel to the casual fan rising movement in boxing. Problem is... a lot of these casuals are brash and pretend to know more about boxing than us hardcore, longtime fans.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To add to this, even when the dangerous fights will guarantee big money they still don't fight. Wilder vs Joshua should have happened years ago when both were still undefeated and now the hype and excitement is gone with multiple losses for both.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post

To add to this, even when the dangerous fights will guarantee big money they still don't fight. Wilder vs Joshua should have happened years ago when both were still undefeated and now the hype and excitement is gone with multiple losses for both.
    That sentence is correct. But this is the problem in Boxing, the fight is worth way more now than it ever was when they were undefeated champions. And THAT IS THE PROBLEM.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post

That sentence is correct. But this is the problem in Boxing, the fight is worth way more now than it ever was when they were undefeated champions. And THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

That's an indictment of fans more than it is of anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

boxing became more global, so there is now less interest by the local public.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph L. View Post
    boxing became more global, so there is now less interest by the local public.
    Waiting for your spam post.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's odd right now. Showtime bowing out of boxing in 2024 is pretty much a done deal. And with that PBC is sent adrift like a band of nomads seeking another refuge. But that where the problem in big picture...so many see it a PBC problem or even a 'good' thing because well, it's PBC. But it's boxing that'll take the hit regardless. Simply in basic fight coverage. We're so steeped in anti-promoter this and ripping other platforms that. Constant tribalism on the politricks of boxing rather than "hey, who's fighting next". They'll go to another streaming service and app as so many now. Really was just a matter of time. Definitely not Dazn who can hardly manage a consistent high quality product and production. At least this year, it's been pretty bad. Maybe Paramount + or now talk of Prime video in talks with pbc. Half their guys are pre spoiled on the enormous money per fight, but I can easily see more inactivity with one less consistent long existing platform for monthly exposure. So ultimately after all these decades, the one that was always ridiculed as "just espn fights" is ironically the sole survivor on cable tv . Boxing fans we're definitely in a big ol transition.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sooooo, where are we now after Saturday's giant circus tent implosion? Love him or hate him...clearly it feels the atlas has shifted a bit. I hear the question every couple of hours, did Fury embarrass himself or did he embarrass boxing on whole. I'm going with the latter. But as I've said too many times boxing and fans also have themselves to blame. I mean the enablers and the gullible. Sellers, buyers and promoters of the obvious clear farce prior to the opening bell. Now apparently Ngannou has Hearn mentioning AJ for a "fight" and a half concussed Deontay Wilder trying to get him some 0-1 Francis . Jebus. What have we thrown the door open for. Maybe it'll remain a divisional thing regarding the heavyweights. Or drip drip into other crossover cash grab dribble matches.

Know what I see...nothing but more than a few actual up n comers, contenders and top 10 fighters being passed up. It's happening right now and has been. Boxing feels like it has lost much of its developmental ground and gradual process. What is the motivation for any top guy who has dedicated 5,10,12 years to a boxing niche, rank and looking for just 1 single crack at the "big" stage and payoff when the boxing establishment...for the most part...drops its pants, breaks out its clown nose and big red shoes and makes what should have been a toss away exhibition with a total novice into a now lineal championship affair. Boxing is in a rough spot, if ever there was a time when it desperately needed to know what it wants to be when it grows up, it's now! Stop enabling clowns.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Sooooo, where are we now after Saturday's giant circus tent implosion? Love him or hate him...clearly it feels the atlas has shifted a bit. I hear the question every couple of hours, did Fury embarrass himself or did he embarrass boxing on whole. I'm going with the latter. But as I've said too many times boxing and fans also have themselves to blame. I mean the enablers and the gullible. Sellers, buyers and promoters of the obvious clear farce prior to the opening bell. Now apparently Ngannou has Hearn mentioning AJ for a "fight" and a half concussed Deontay Wilder trying to get him some 0-1 Francis . Jebus. What have we thrown the door open for. Maybe it'll remain a divisional thing regarding the heavyweights. Or drip drip into other crossover cash grab dribble matches.

Know what I see...nothing but more than a few actual up n comers, contenders and top 10 fighters being passed up. It's happening right now and has been. Boxing feels like it has lost much of its developmental ground and gradual process. What is the motivation for any top guy who has dedicated 5,10,12 years to a boxing niche, rank and looking for just 1 single crack at the "big" stage and payoff when the boxing establishment...for the most part...drops its pants, breaks out its clown nose and big red shoes and makes what should have been a toss away exhibition with a total novice into a now lineal championship affair. Boxing is in a rough spot, if ever there was a time when it desperately needed to know what it wants to be when it grows up, it's now! Stop enabling clowns.

I hear ya. It's 95% the heavyweights, IMO. You just don't see this type of shet in all the divisions below it.

Problem is... HW's have always been, and will always be, the most visible division in boxing. At least to the eyes of the casual fan.

So they're seeing this circus play out... and some of them even think this is what boxing's supposed to be like.

Thread Information