Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who is next for Canelo?

And thank goodness for those other, GOOD fights and fighters. I mention him because he's so polarizing. So I make my case. I also mention him because IMO he has done some damage to boxing. I love the sport and have followed it for years. That qualifies me to talk about Canelo, and talk about Canelo I shall.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's the problem and has been..."Canelo is going to do (only) what Canelo wants to do". He's setting a great example for the next generation of pampered Primadona's. Benavidez pretty much just got tired of the stall and BS and let's be abundantly clear to the obvious...Canelo shamelessly refuses to fight the top ranked challenger and has for me rendered the whole "undisputed" mantra meaningless. If you are enabled and green lighted to avoid key matches and fighters you are not resolving disputes. You're getting over on the fans.

On the flip side I think Benavidez even mentioning Zurdo is foolish and an empty vessel. Pointless and you cannot have a bigger contrast in how two professionals conduct themselves. No interest in that at all. Also the fact that, one thing at a time. This sounds again like someone is trying to grease the wheels and incentivize the biggest threat to Canelo to keep going another direction and forget alllll about a 168 return.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    That's the problem and has been..."Canelo is going to do (only) what Canelo wants to do". He's setting a great example for the next generation of pampered Primadona's. Benavidez pretty much just got tired of the stall and BS and let's be abundantly clear to the obvious...Canelo shamelessly refuses to fight the top ranked challenger and has for me rendered the whole "undisputed" mantra meaningless. If you are enabled and green lighted to avoid key matches and fighters you are not resolving disputes. You're getting over on the fans.

On the flip side I think Benavidez even mentioning Zurdo is foolish and an empty vessel. Pointless and you cannot have a bigger contrast in how two professionals conduct themselves. No interest in that at all. Also the fact that, one thing at a time. This sounds again like someone is trying to grease the wheels and incentivize the biggest threat to Canelo to keep going another direction and forget alllll about a 168 return.
    you are correct canelo will do what he wants to do. he's not forcing anyone to follow is example. i'm not sure i agree that it's obvious that canelo shamelessly refuses to fight the top ranked contender. i do rate david b as the top contender but to be fair david m should be at the front of the line based on the order of mandatories. if you want to say canelo is refusing to fight the current top guys (david b, david m, christian mbilli, jaime munguia, he's already fought caleb) i would agree with that. the problem is we don't know much about canelo's next fight & what his new deal will be. as for david b, like i said previously, if he is serious about a canelo fight he should stay at super middle & fight the other top guys, make his own legacy, if the canelo fight never happens at least he would have built his own path. i thought the idea of going to light heavy was to get an interim belt (wbc making up their rules as they go as usual) & a potential shot at the artur v dmitry winner. i think david b moving up is a bad idea, unless he can't make super middle anymore but his last two fights have shown he can come in under the limit
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    talk about Canelo I shall.
    no one said you shouldn't
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post

you are correct canelo will do what he wants to do. he's not forcing anyone to follow is example. i'm not sure i agree that it's obvious that canelo shamelessly refuses to fight the top ranked contender. i do rate david b as the top contender but to be fair david m should be at the front of the line based on the order of mandatories. if you want to say canelo is refusing to fight the current top guys (david b, david m, christian mbilli, jaime munguia, he's already fought caleb) i would agree with that. the problem is we don't know much about canelo's next fight & what his new deal will be. as for david b, like i said previously, if he is serious about a canelo fight he should stay at super middle & fight the other top guys, make his own legacy, if the canelo fight never happens at least he would have built his own path. i thought the idea of going to light heavy was to get an interim belt (wbc making up their rules as they go as usual) & a potential shot at the artur v dmitry winner. i think david b moving up is a bad idea, unless he can't make super middle anymore but his last two fights have shown he can come in under the limit
    You and I have gone over Morrell and Benavidez so we'll chalk that up as a disagreement to agree on. Morrell may be a 'regular' title holder for the wba but he's fought zero top 10 fighters. With respect you are the single sole individual I've come across that does not consider Benavidez as the top deserving challenger to Canelo. Morrell just inherited Berlanga as a #1 along with Canelo so it's quite possible Morrell can start there by beating his first name fighter. We'll hopefully see that happen. The shat thing to do would be to skip right over Morrell and his title in order to serve Berlanga up to Cinnaduck in Sept. I seriously hope not.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post

You and I have gone over Morrell and Benavidez so we'll chalk that up as a disagreement to agree on. Morrell may be a 'regular' title holder for the wba but he's fought zero top 10 fighters. With respect you are the single sole individual I've come across that does not consider Benavidez as the top deserving challenger to Canelo. Morrell just inherited Berlanga as a #1 along with Canelo so it's quite possible Morrell can start there by beating his first name fighter. We'll hopefully see that happen. The shat thing to do would be to skip right over Morrell and his title in order to serve Berlanga up to Cinnaduck in Sept. I seriously hope not.
    i literally said i rate david b as the top contender. i'm just saying in the world of sanctioning bodies david m should be first according to the mandatory rotation

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

officially official

Last edited by TIC; 03-09-2024 at 10:01 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andre Ward is trashing Ginger.
    Malignaggi is trashing Ginger.
    Tim Bradley is trashing Ginger.
    Mike Tyson is trashing Ginger.

Several Mexican former champions are trashing Ginger.

Every time I read about yet another former boxer trashing Ginger... the smile on my face gets wider.

Hey, let's face it. Ginger's got it all figured out.

He's gonna fight Munguia, who he knows he'll beat.

After that he may fight Berlanga, who he knows he'll beat.

He'll retire without ever having fought Benavidez, to protect his tainted legacy.

He's scared shitless of Benavidez, but he couldn't give less of a shit.

He feels his "legacy" is already made... except the only problem is that Ginger will go down in history as one of the most maligned boxing champions in the sport's history.

That'll stick in his craw long after he's gone.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Soooooo...I won't fight him unless its 150-200 million . The next day Benavidez appeals directly to Turki from Saudi Arabia and his bottomless vault of billions. And the idea was shot down. I have a much different take on how this unfolded. All I saw was people saying haha Turki told Canelo to go pound sand and forget about it. But what I saw was Turki...I refuse to call any man "his excellency"...just reinforcing the wbc line and original plan. For Benavidez to face the winner of Bivol-Beterbiev at 175 should he emerge victorious in June. Thus keeping his big ol menacing dirty paws off Canelo.

Basically Turki just being a team player in the Canelo protection/deflection program . But all kidding aside, I don't think it's a good idea to pay any fighter 200 million ffs. This Saudi game has a shelf life and what we'll see are more top guys sitting out as not to jeopardize their lottery. Or just not fight at all until they receive similar silly money. Terrible precedent for the sport. Now Benavidez has even invited and opened himself up toa rehydration clause also.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 03-28-2024 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

...I refuse to call any man "his excellency"...

You and me both.

the Canelo protection/deflection program

Brilliant! I would have it all in caps, though... as it is a bonafide, very effective, carefully planned and executed program.

Soooooo...I won't fight him unless its 150-200 million . The next day Benavidez appeals directly to Turki from Saudi Arabia and his bottomless vault of billions. And the idea was shot down. I have a much different take on how this unfolded. All I saw was people saying haha Turki told Canelo to go pound sand and forget about it. But what I saw was Turki...I refuse to call any man "his excellency"...just reinforcing the wbc line and original plan. For Benavidez to face the winner of Bivol-Beterbiev at 175 should he emerge victorious in June. Thus keeping his big ol menacing dirty paws off Canelo.

Basically Turki just being a team player in the Canelo protection/deflection program . But all kidding aside, I don't think it's a good idea to pay any fighter 200 million ffs. This Saudi game has a shelf life and what we'll see are more top guys sitting out as not to jeopardize their lottery. Or just not fight at all until they receive similar silly money. Terrible precedent for the sport. Now Benavidez has even invited and opened himself up toa rehydration clause also.

Pricing yourself out of a job. One of the oldest tricks in the book. I have a surly, old relative who requires fulltime care. The woman has been through half a dozen caretakers already... and word may be spreading throughout the local caretaker community. I wouldn't be surprised if the next person asked to quote for the job said, "Sure. I'll do it. For $1,000/hour."

Would've been funny if Turki had accepted, except I wouldn't want to see Canelo get $200 million richer off one fight... even if it IS for the pleasure of seeing him KTFO'ed.

Canelo (if Turki accepted): "Wait... did I say $200 million? I meant to say $300 million."

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

canelo's not getting two hundred million but he's a very smart businessman

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Annnd Berlanga is now the wba mandatory for Canelo. Raise your hand if this was as predictable as a wet street after a rain storm . Amazing how the pre positioning results in such things. The alphabet syndicates have jointly worked to keep lil Canelo safe and sound.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Annnd Berlanga is now the wba mandatory for Canelo. Raise your hand if this was as predictable as a wet street after a rain storm . Amazing how the pre positioning results in such things. The alphabet syndicates have jointly worked to keep lil Canelo safe and sound.

My worst nightmare come true, and one I had pretty much feared and predicted for some time now.

A total farce of a fight, dressed up in Puerto Rico vs Mexico classic rivalry colors.

Which of course, it isn't.

Berlanga isn't the level of fighter Canelo should be facing, when he's been blatantly ignoring the white elephant in the room in Benavidez.

Even in this day and age of ducking and marinating... rarely if ever has a fighter of Canelo's fame and stature worked SO hard in trying to ignore calls (from everyone) for him to face the guy who has earned every right to fight him.

Instead, they predictably milk the PR-Mexico rivalry with someone woefully not on Canelo's level.

That might fool and appease some people (casuals)... but it doesn't fool anyone else.

I refuse to accept this fight in the annals of this classic rivalry lore.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thread Information