Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klitschko a big betting favorite!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Klitschko a big betting favorite!

From Fightnews.com
    All eyes will be on Mannheimm, Germany where Wladimir Klitschko is a -325 favorite to dethrone Chris Byrd +250 in a bout that will be televised live on HBO. Also on that card, 2004 Olympic super heavyweight gold medalist Alexander Povetkin is -450 in his toughest test to date versus veteran Friday Ahunanya +350.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Klitschko a big betting favorite!

Well...it's kind of stating the obvious I mean...

Wlad is coming off a huge win. Byrd is coming off a terrible win (which I don't think he deserved). Klitschko owns a win over Byrd. Klitschko is younger. I mean it seems EVERYTHING is stacked in his favor.

Oh yeah the fight is in Germany.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

wait... is HBO broadcasting both fights!!!?!?!?!!!!?!?!!

I WANT A DAMN UNDERCARD, they there hasnt been an undercard in SOOOOOOO long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SalTheButcher

im pretty sure theyre just doing the klitschko fight.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Has Klitschko ever not been a betting favourite though? Probably not. Ill bet he was a big fav against Sanders and Brewster as well. He is a betting nightmare, when you factor in the chance that he will have a nervous breakdown.... I hope Byrd KOs the tin man and ends his career for real this time. He and Vitali can go model underwear some more.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by K2-Promotion
    Quote Originally Posted by SalTheButcher

im pretty sure theyre just doing the klitschko fight.
    damnit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    Has Klitschko ever not been a betting favourite though? Probably not. Ill bet he was a big fav against Sanders and Brewster as well. He is a betting nightmare, when you factor in the chance that he will have a nervous breakdown.... I hope Byrd KOs the tin man and ends his career for real this time. He and Vitali can go model underwear some more.
    Dude what is your problem with the Klitschko's?I really can't understand why someone wouldn't wan't to see either of them fight.Do you really find Byrd more fun to watch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he's just annoyed with as many chances Wladimer gets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Chances?He has earned every shot at the belts!Unlike guys like Toney!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Klitschkofan
    Dude what is your problem with the Klitschko's?I really can't understand why someone wouldn't wan't to see either of them fight.Do you really find Byrd more fun to watch?
    i do find chris byrd more fun to watch.

wlad, though technically sound is now somewhat boring for me. the peter fight showed limited variations on the jab and then clinch strategy. the most exciting points were when wlad had his hairy moments. the excitment didnt come from the offence of wlad whatsoever.

seeing chris byrd taking on the giants is much more appealing and the fact that he usually comes off the better only makes it more satisfying. a david and goliath kinda thing. byrds fights with tua and golota are absolutely riveting. byrds fight with big ike was also an edge of the seat encounter though of course byrd got hammered eventually and drooled a little. still, until that point he was competing and you couldnt fail to be entertained...

i prefer to watch byrd over wlad any day....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Almost as many as zab!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles

wlad, though technically sound is now somewhat boring for me. the peter fight showed limited variations on the jab and then clinch strategy. the most exciting points were when wlad had his hairy moments. the excitment didnt come from the offence of wlad whatsoever.

seeing chris byrd taking on the giants is much more appealing and the fact that he usually comes off the better only makes it more satisfying. a david and goliath kinda thing. byrds fights with tua and golota are absolutely riveting. byrds fight with big ike was also an edge of the seat encounter though of course byrd got hammered eventually and drooled a little. still, until that point he was competing and you couldnt fail to be entertained...

HAve you watched Wladimir's earlier fights?The fight with Peter was one of his most boring fights.He has the ability to outbox anyone and has the power to KO anyone, what is more entertaining than that?With Byrd you are almost asured of it going to the final bell, if I wanted to watch a boxing just for the scoring aspect I would watch featherweights because of their amazing speed.Wladimir has speed, power, and is currently the most technically gifted heavyweight out there.But if you really enjoy watching Byrd fight over Wladimir then that is your preference.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HAve you watched Wladimir's earlier fights?The fight with Peter was one of his most boring fights.He has the ability to outbox anyone and has the power to KO anyone, what is more entertaining than that?With Byrd you are almost asured of it going to the final bell, if I wanted to watch a boxing just for the scoring aspect I would watch featherweights because of their amazing speed.Wladimir has speed, power, and is currently the most technically gifted heavyweight out there.But if you really enjoy watching Byrd fight over Wladimir then that is your preference.
    yeah, me prefering to watch byrd is nothing more than a preference and is no slander upon someone who thinks otherwise.

for me, wlad is very much a confidence fighter and without that confidence he is unwilling to let his hands go because he doesnt want to take a punch. he knows his stamina is an issue also. of course, ive seen earlier wlad fights, but i have to question the opposition. who exactly was he fighting? ross purrity is a c class fighter at best. post purrity he was again fed a diet of journeymen pro's. some decent pro's were thrown in but nothing that a top fighter should really have any problems putting away. klitschko was knocking all of these guys down and yes that can be exciting, but i'd much rather see a top fighter knocking down other top fighters.

indeed, wlad has ko'ed or tko'ed some good fighters (botha, mercer and mccline do spring readily to mind) but not that many big names really. wlad's style has becoming progressively more cautious since his worrying loss tko's and as a consequence less pleasing to watch. this is because of the influence of manny steward and wlad's very worrying problems in just trying to stay on his feet. he now throws the jab and is more than content to just hold after throwing that. maybe this is an effort to conserve energy or its just a strategy to build points, but either way its not that exciting for me. if wlad alters this strategy against chris byrd then i will be very surprised. im interested to see how byrd plans to counter this strategy. wlad's ability to entertain has been countered by a fear of being knocked down and what we have is a kind of stalemate....its just become a little dull for me.

byrd is a fighter who overcomes obvious physical disadvantages. he often concedes size, weight and reach advantages in fights. he doesnt give us fight after fight of ko victories....but thats not the point in trying to enjoy the style of a fighter like chris byrd. its about seeing the small guy use his brain, his skill and his speed to try and overcome hurdles within the confines of the ring....and i defy anyone to watch the tua fight and not be surprised at how entertaining byrd really is....a vastly underrated fighter....

im looking forward to what could be an entertaining fight this weekend. for me the entertainment will once again come from seeing the smaller man try and do what he's tried to do so many times before...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah, me prefering to watch byrd is nothing more than a preference and is no slander upon someone who thinks otherwise.

for me, wlad is very much a confidence fighter and without that confidence he is unwilling to let his hands go because he doesnt want to take a punch. he knows his stamina is an issue also. of course, ive seen earlier wlad fights, but i have to question the opposition. who exactly was he fighting? ross purrity is a c class fighter at best. post purrity he was again fed a diet of journeymen pro's. some decent pro's were thrown in but nothing that a top fighter should really have any problems putting away. klitschko was knocking all of these guys down and yes that can be exciting, but i'd much rather see a top fighter knocking down other top fighters.

indeed, wlad has ko'ed or tko'ed some good fighters (botha, mercer and mccline do spring readily to mind) but not that many big names really. wlad's style has becoming progressively more cautious since his worrying loss tko's and as a consequence less pleasing to watch. this is because of the influence of manny steward and wlad's very worrying problems in just trying to stay on his feet. he now throws the jab and is more than content to just hold after throwing that. maybe this is an effort to conserve energy or its just a strategy to build points, but either way its not that exciting for me. if wlad alters this strategy against chris byrd then i will be very surprised. im interested to see how byrd plans to counter this strategy. wlad's ability to entertain has been countered by a fear of being knocked down and what we have is a kind of stalemate....its just become a little dull for me.

byrd is a fighter who overcomes obvious physical disadvantages. he often concedes size, weight and reach advantages in fights. he doesnt give us fight after fight of ko victories....but thats not the point in trying to enjoy the style of a fighter like chris byrd. its about seeing the small guy use his brain, his skill and his speed to try and overcome hurdles within the confines of the ring....and i defy anyone to watch the tua fight and not be surprised at how entertaining byrd really is....a vastly underrated fighter....

im looking forward to what could be an entertaining fight this weekend. for me the entertainment will once again come from seeing the smaller man try and do what he's tried to do so many times before...
    I can tell you that the fighters Wladimir has faced have a better overall combined winning % than Byrd so I could also question the kind of fighters Byrd was brought up on as well.Wladimir has beaten many fighters by stoppage that had never been stopped or for that matter never been down before.He made guys like Barrett look like an amateur and exposed Peter for what he is a one dimensional fighter that worked well on every fighter he faced prior to Wladimir.What impresses me the most about Wladimir is his ability to outbox guys much smaller and supposedly quicker than him and to be able to KO some of the most iron chinned heavyweights out there.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"klitschko was knocking all of these guys down and yes that can be exciting, but i'd much rather see a top fighter knocking down other top fighters"

and in fact im gonna quote myself and admit that this is exactly what wlad did to byrd last time out...
    but i do see this as being a more even battle...

Thread Information