Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hopkins NEVER ducked Calzaghe, or anybody!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hopkins NEVER ducked Calzaghe, or anybody!

I'm really getting sick and tired of reading posts in here by Joe Calzaghe fans who swear up and down that Bernard Hopkins was ducking this guy.

First off, in America, Calzaghe JUST became a star by beating a young, rising American star. Hopkins is a money whore, more than anything. There was absolutely no money in a fight w/ Calzaghe. Furthermore, Hopkins is an HBO fighter, Calzaghe a Showtime fighter. Those are difficult fights to make. Plus, he was chasing Monzon's middleweight defenses record.

And in between he found time to fight a 40-0 Felix Trinidad, and Oscar Delahoya. So stop with the "Hopkins was ducking" crap, it doesnt make sense!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hopkins NEVER ducked Calzaghe, or anybody!

This guy's only guilty of being, as you put it, "a money whore". He'll fight his wife on PPV if they paid him enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, you can't call it ducking!
    Boxing is a business more than anything. Hopkins chose the best fights to make the most money and improve his career. If Calzaghe would have brought in the money you bet your ass he would have fought him, but at the time there was much better opportunities out there for him.
    Look at the top quality opposition this man took out, please use a better word than 'duck'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you, Pantera. Have a CC for common sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins was the better fighter, if anything Joe ducked Hopkins....and Joe is one of my favourite fighters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nightmare
    I'm really getting sick and tired of reading posts in here by Joe Calzaghe fans who swear up and down that Bernard Hopkins was ducking this guy.

First off, in America, Calzaghe JUST became a star by beating a young, rising American star. Hopkins is a money whore, more than anything. There was absolutely no money in a fight w/ Calzaghe. Furthermore, Hopkins is an HBO fighter, Calzaghe a Showtime fighter. Those are difficult fights to make. Plus, he was chasing Monzon's middleweight defenses record.

And in between he found time to fight a 40-0 Felix Trinidad, and Oscar Delahoya. So stop with the "Hopkins was ducking" crap, it doesnt make sense!
    You need to upgrade yourself – both RJJ and Hopkins avoided Calzaghe as the plague. Even Collins was avoided by RJJ and Hopkins would only play with small boys.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
    Hopkins was the better fighter, if anything Joe ducked Hopkins....and Joe is one of my favourite fighters
    Calzaghe was chasing Hopkins in 2002/3/4 (somewhere around that time ) Hopkins agreed to a fight for 3million quid but then doubled his price and the fight obviously fell through, apparently.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If anyone thinks Hopkins had a chance in a rematch with Roy Jones or in a bout with Calzaghe, you're smoking some good shit. And yeah I'm sure Hopkins was a money whore, but that was his way of not fighting these people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    Calzaghe was chasing Hopkins in 2002/3/4 (somewhere around that time ) Hopkins agreed to a fight for 3million quid but then doubled his price and the fight obviously fell through, apparently.
    ahhh...ok, didnt realise that
    cheers

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by raleights
    If anyone thinks Hopkins had a chance in a rematch with Roy Jones or in a bout with Calzaghe, you're smoking some good S***. And yeah I'm sure Hopkins was a money whore, but that was his way of not fighting these people
    How many people on this forum have jobs? If someone else offered you more money, you'd take it and move companies.

So how is Hopkins more of a money whore than the rest of us?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins never ducked a fighter in his life...Before the Lacy fight Noone was singing the praises of Joe Calzaghe...He had a BS title and wont fight in the US...Hopkins is an all time great...The longest reigning middleweight champion ( I think??) with the most defences..Look at his resume...what did Calzaghe have to offer him I suppose Hopkins was supposed to travel to europe to fight him too...Use your head when you post not your heart...Hopkins would have taken Joe apart...And it would have done nothing for Bernards career...Joes most impressive win is over Jeff Lacy...Please tell me you have the common sense to know the diffrence between Lacy and Hopkins....Joe would have been just a W in the column for Bernard...Joe hasn't reached the status of guys like Trinidad or even Joppy to be given the respect of even saying Hopkins was ducking him....
    Joe Calzagh is a guy who has held a title in the weakest division in boxing and wont fight out of europe...Nothing more nothing less
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by New Wind

You need to upgrade yourself – both RJJ and Hopkins avoided Calzaghe as the plague. Even Collins was avoided by RJJ and Hopkins would only play with small boys.
    Steve Collins? Are you serious...that's like saying Holyfield and all the others ducked butterbean...Not feeling as if someone is worthy, doesn't mean they're ducking them...it's just that...I'm so tired of all these names being mentioned...Collins, eubank, benn, all of these guys would have been destroyed by RJJ...and JC hasn't left Europe and it would be stupid for Hop to have traveled over there....

Truth be told..Hopkins and JC both can credit RJJ for them dominating their divisions because Roy left MW and SMW...and if you think that JC would have beaten the SMW RJJ you have lost you're fwooking mind...
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eubank said himself that he didn't want to fight Roy Jones Jr. So who's ducking who

Aside from that..Collins who? OOOH the guy that was the Antonio Tarver of back then right Yea I know about him

Anyway, Hopkins never "ducked" a fighter in his life. A fighter needs to make a challenge to you before you duck anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    liar

Calzaghe was chasing Sven Ottke back then and spoke of and apparently was making a fight to move up to Light heavyweight and fight Glen Johnson...but he pulled out of that fight because he "broke his hand"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X
    Quote Originally Posted by raleights
    If anyone thinks Hopkins had a chance in a rematch with Roy Jones or in a bout with Calzaghe, you're smoking some good S***. And yeah I'm sure Hopkins was a money whore, but that was his way of not fighting these people
    How many people on this forum have jobs? If someone else offered you more money, you'd take it and move companies.

So how is Hopkins more of a money whore than the rest of us?
    Very well said... coolclick for you.

As fans we all want to see our fighters solidify a perfect legacy. We forget that they are men making a living. On top of that, alot of these guys aren't qualified to do much else should their boxing career end suddenly, which is always very possible. And on top of that, many of these men come from impoverished backgrounds and just want to make a lot of money, have a solid economic future with no worries, and perhaps get and keep their family out of the struggle they grew up in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by New Wind

New Wind, unless Calzaghe was willing to move up to 175 and fight in America, Jones never ducked him. As far as Hopkins fighting the small boys, they were willing to move up and fight him here in America. Nuff said. Otherwise I like Calzaghe
    Formerly LuciferTheGreat

Thread Information