Home / Boxing Results / Lee Selby A European Champion After Defeating Rendall Munroe

Lee Selby A European Champion After Defeating Rendall Munroe

At the Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff, Wales, last night, Lee Selby of Barry, Wales, won the vacant EBU (European) Featherweight Title and successfully defended his BBBofC British Featherweight Title by stopping Leicester’s Rendall Munroe in the sixth round.

After losing to Bury Boxer – Scott Quigg in November 2012, likeable Munroe retired from the sport briefly before returning at Featherweight and winning his next three contests on points.

Last night, Selby – looking the stronger of the two men – controlled the fight. Munroe was caught by a punch on the forehead in the closing seconds of round one and his legs wobbled momentarily as the bell signalled the end of the opener.

Forced back into the corner and under pressure from Selby’s shots in the sixth, Munroe struggled to throw much back at the Welshman and Referee Ian John Lewis jumped in to wave the fight off. It’s a shame it didn’t go on for longer but the former Boxing Binman remains in positive mood today and although disappointed – vows to fight on.

Also on Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom promoted show, Gavin Rees of Newbridge and Gary Buckland of Cardiff went toe-to-toe in an all-out war as the two Welsh friends battled it out for the British Lightweight Title Eliminator.

Both men were busy from the ‘off’. Buckland sustained a cut from a head-clash in round one, but it didn’t deter him and he kept focussed. It was a good round four for Buckland who offloads a number of shots but by the eighth round both men are starting to look tired.

Rees digs in during the ninth and lands body-shots, but Buckland keeps up the pace with a flurry of punches. Rees’ right eye is marked and has a nick below it in the tenth and by the end of that frame he is heard to say that he “cannot see him [Buckland]”.

Both men give it their all in the twelfth and final round despite Rees having to get his glove taped twice.

The all-action fight resulted in a split decision with Gary Buckland getting the nod 116-113; 115-114; 113-116.

Jason Cook of Maesteg, Wales, scored a fourth round TKO over fellow Welshman Tony Pace of Talbot Green, to win the vacant BBBofC Celtic Welterweight Title.

Chris Jenkins of Garnant, Wales, won the vacant WBC International Light Welterweight Title on points (100-91; 100-90; 100-90;) over Frenchman Christopher Sebire.

Despite a ‘wobble’ in round seven, Dale Evans of St.Clears, Wales, scored an upset by winning an eight round Welterweight contest against Kenyan born Londoner - Erick ‘The Eagle’ Ochieng on points 77-76.
And, Watford’s Anthony Joshua, MBE, stopped opponent Dorian Darch of Aberdare, Wales, in round two of their scheduled six round heavyweight contest. Darch only just survived round one having taken a number of hefty headshots. Referee Terry O’Connor stopped the fight in round two after Darch had taken some heavy shots to the face.

About Jane Warburton

Check Also

Photos by Sami Lommi and Jussi Talvitie of Photolies

Edis Tatli Regains European Crown Defeating Francesco Patera

Edis Tatli (30–2) regained the European lightweight crown with a clear unanimous decision over Francesco …