Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 113

Thread: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,268
    Mentioned
    1481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2722
    Cool Clicks

    Default Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    Gervonta Davis taking step up in pursuit of superstardom

    Gervonta Davis wrapped both arms around his 1-year-old daughter, whispering in her ear and revealing a tender side as he promoted his next bout.

    In the ring, the boxer known as ''Tank'' shows no mercy.

    The 25-year-old Davis has a perfect record in 22 professional fights, only one of which has gone the distance.

    Now the two-time super featherweight champion is eager to make a bigger mark, moving up in weight to take on Cuba's Yuriorkis Gamboa for the WBA's secondary lightweight title next month in Atlanta's first world championship card in more than 20 years.

    ''I want to keep getting better and better,'' Davis said. ''I hope Gamboa brings the best out of me so that people can see that I'm not just a power puncher. I have a lot of boxing skills.''



    Davis has displayed fearsome power since turning pro in 2013, most recently scoring a second-round TKO of Ricardo Nunez during a July homecoming bout in Baltimore. No fighter has gone the distance with Davis in more than five years.

    Yet, despite his impressive record, Davis has been scrutinized for a lack of quality opponents. That isn't likely to change with a victory over Gamboa, who at 37 would appear to be on the downside of his career.

    For Davis, though, this is a possible steppingstone to a big-money match with Leo Santa Cruz (37-1-1, 19 knockouts), who has captured world titles in four weight classes. The Mexican most recently claimed the WBA super featherweight title with a unanimous decision over Miguel Flores on the undercard of Deontay Wilder's knockout win.

    ''What better opponent than Gervonta Davis?'' Santa Cruz told DAZN in the lead-up to his victory over Flores. ''I think he's the most dangerous of all the people that they want me to fight and once I do that, I think people are going to know that I'm not scared of nobody and that I could fight whoever.''

    Davis is certainly willing to make that match.



    Like Santa Cruz, Davis is seeking a signature victory to raise his profile on boxing's crowded championship landscape. He is capable of becoming one of the sport's biggest stars, according to his trainer, Calvin Ford.

    ''Tank can really box and put on a show,'' Ford said. 'That's what it's all about: entertaining the crowd, giving the crowd something to go home to talk about - other than the knockout.''

    The fight with Gamboa came together after they fought together on the Baltimore card. The Cuban scored an impressive second-round knockout of Rocky Martinez.

    ''I proved to the naysayers that I have a lot left in the tank,'' said Gamboa, an Olympic gold medalist at the 2004 Athens Games who is 18-2 in his pro career.

    The promotion for the December fight began at lunchtime in a west Atlanta nightclub, where Gamboa spoke through an interpreter and Davis answered most questions while holding his daughter, Gervanni.

    When they went through the mandatory stare-down for the cameras, Gamboa held his grim look but Davis quickly broke into a smile and yukked it up with his fans.

    After the title bout in Baltimore, Davis wanted a fight in what he considers his second home. He moved to Atlanta a couple of years ago and pushed for the chance to show his skills for a growing fan base that includes local pro athletes and hip-hop stars.

    It will be a rare opportunity for the A-T-L, which has hosted numerous major events but has little history in the fight game. Most notably, it was the city that held Muhammad Ali's comeback fight after he barred for more than three years over his refusal to be drafted during the Vietnam War.

    Atlanta hasn't staged a world title fight since hometown favorite Evander Holyfield outpointed Vaughn Bean to retain his heavyweight belts in 1998 at the Georgia Dome. Next month's card also includes WBA light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal taking on Badou Jack.

    ''I've always wanted to fight here,'' Davis said. ''Atlanta has accepted me with open arms. Baltimore is always my first home but being able to come here is special.''

    https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/gervonta...3737--box.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    50
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    wake me when tank steps up
    Apply shame. Apply fame. The crook and the flail.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    39,162
    Mentioned
    343 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4740
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    The more I hear Mayweather call Davis 'the next him' the more it rings hollow. This is basically the biggest event match/name Davis has faced to date. At the exact same 25 yrs of age and 6 years fought mark Mayweather had gone through among others Chicanito Hernandez, Augustus, Corrales, Manfredy, Chavez and Castillo..twice! Davis should win convincingly and claim his 3rd trinket meh. This anointed superstar is in serious need of some hard roads to plow.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,127
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    391
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    I am hoping for the upset. Tank needs to do something worthwhile otherwise I just hope he loses

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    7,127
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    260
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    Didn't we already have a prime puncher against an old Cuban last week?
    They live, We sleep

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,585
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    403
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    Interesting that with Ortiz it’s old old old, not good. With Gamboa it’s old old old, not talented. But with Donaire all I hear is good good good. On the downside, but good. I don’t know what it says but it’s interesting. I don’t know what’s different in these scenarios, just catches my eye that 3 very similar situations are looked at so vastly differently. I mean, Inoue has become number 1 P4P off beating a guy of equal age. Because the old guy gave him hell. What if Gamboa gives Tank hell? He gave Crawford some major issues. Sure that was a long time ago but we could say “Donaire gave Rigo no issues at all, long ago”

    I’m hoping for a good fight and Tank to move on to bigger things, it’s time if he has it in him.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    39,162
    Mentioned
    343 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4740
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Interesting that with Ortiz it’s old old old, not good. With Gamboa it’s old old old, not talented. But with Donaire all I hear is good good good. On the downside, but good. I don’t know what it says but it’s interesting. I don’t know what’s different in these scenarios, just catches my eye that 3 very similar situations are looked at so vastly differently. I mean, Inoue has become number 1 P4P off beating a guy of equal age. Because the old guy gave him hell. What if Gamboa gives Tank hell? He gave Crawford some major issues. Sure that was a long time ago but we could say “Donaire gave Rigo no issues at all, long ago”

    I’m hoping for a good fight and Tank to move on to bigger things, it’s time if he has it in him.
    Best case scenario Gamboa shows up and is capable of shocking the world. I think the Crawford fight gets a bit overstated as its not like he was ever in any serious jeopardy other than some showy shots being landed on a coasting Crawford who we'd see do nothing but dominate until then. Fairness to the build and Inoue fight they were making the best of a secondary situation, namely Tete pulling out of Donaire fight resulting in a basic pass but he also managed to bring a belt along for the fight. Right off Crawford fight Gamboa was being thrashed to a koby Castalleno.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    7,127
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    260
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Interesting that with Ortiz it’s old old old, not good. With Gamboa it’s old old old, not talented. But with Donaire all I hear is good good good. On the downside, but good. I don’t know what it says but it’s interesting. I don’t know what’s different in these scenarios, just catches my eye that 3 very similar situations are looked at so vastly differently. I mean, Inoue has become number 1 P4P off beating a guy of equal age. Because the old guy gave him hell. What if Gamboa gives Tank hell? He gave Crawford some major issues. Sure that was a long time ago but we could say “Donaire gave Rigo no issues at all, long ago”

    I’m hoping for a good fight and Tank to move on to bigger things, it’s time if he has it in him.
    Over roughly the last year Donaire had got a win over a unified belt holder, Gamboa best win was a shot to pieces Martinez. I don't Inoue at #1 P4P, but he is up there and it has nothing to do with the Donaire fight. If anything he slipped a little, but he did fight with an injury and won pretty clear, although taking a fair amount of punishment.
    They live, We sleep

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,127
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    391
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Interesting that with Ortiz it’s old old old, not good. With Gamboa it’s old old old, not talented. But with Donaire all I hear is good good good. On the downside, but good. I don’t know what it says but it’s interesting. I don’t know what’s different in these scenarios, just catches my eye that 3 very similar situations are looked at so vastly differently. I mean, Inoue has become number 1 P4P off beating a guy of equal age. Because the old guy gave him hell. What if Gamboa gives Tank hell? He gave Crawford some major issues. Sure that was a long time ago but we could say “Donaire gave Rigo no issues at all, long ago”

    I’m hoping for a good fight and Tank to move on to bigger things, it’s time if he has it in him.
    Over roughly the last year Donaire had got a win over a unified belt holder, Gamboa best win was a shot to pieces Martinez. I don't Inoue at #1 P4P, but he is up there and it has nothing to do with the Donaire fight. If anything he slipped a little, but he did fight with an injury and won pretty clear, although taking a fair amount of punishment.
    Donaire went back down in weight where he belonged and showed that he still had something left in the tank. He starting losing when he went up in weight. But like Alpha said, if anything, Inoue slipped a little from how I saw him. He did fracture his orbital in the second or third round I think so he did well considering that.

    Gamboa isn’t a push over, but he hasn’t proven anything as of late that he has rejuvenated his career. I do think that Gamboa is a live dog, but the difference is that Inoue fought top contenders in previous bouts. Tank has not.

    I thought Wilder bearing Ortiz was a good win. His age gets overstated. Ortiz hasn’t really shown his age in his fights. Ever since I first watched him fight, he hasn’t really changed. The only thing you could say is maybe his chin is weaker with age but that’s just speculation.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    7,127
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    260
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Interesting that with Ortiz it’s old old old, not good. With Gamboa it’s old old old, not talented. But with Donaire all I hear is good good good. On the downside, but good. I don’t know what it says but it’s interesting. I don’t know what’s different in these scenarios, just catches my eye that 3 very similar situations are looked at so vastly differently. I mean, Inoue has become number 1 P4P off beating a guy of equal age. Because the old guy gave him hell. What if Gamboa gives Tank hell? He gave Crawford some major issues. Sure that was a long time ago but we could say “Donaire gave Rigo no issues at all, long ago”

    I’m hoping for a good fight and Tank to move on to bigger things, it’s time if he has it in him.
    Over roughly the last year Donaire had got a win over a unified belt holder, Gamboa best win was a shot to pieces Martinez. I don't Inoue at #1 P4P, but he is up there and it has nothing to do with the Donaire fight. If anything he slipped a little, but he did fight with an injury and won pretty clear, although taking a fair amount of punishment.
    Donaire went back down in weight where he belonged and showed that he still had something left in the tank. He starting losing when he went up in weight. But like Alpha said, if anything, Inoue slipped a little from how I saw him. He did fracture his orbital in the second or third round I think so he did well considering that.

    Gamboa isn’t a push over, but he hasn’t proven anything as of late that he has rejuvenated his career. I do think that Gamboa is a live dog, but the difference is that Inoue fought top contenders in previous bouts. Tank has not.

    I thought Wilder bearing Ortiz was a good win. His age gets overstated. Ortiz hasn’t really shown his age in his fights. Ever since I first watched him fight, he hasn’t really changed. The only thing you could say is maybe his chin is weaker with age but that’s just speculation.
    Ortiz was a good win, he was a top 10 guy. It would be a stretch to get Gamboa in the top 10 at 135. Also after today, I'm confident in saying Donaire would have beaten Tete. Lets have Inoue vs Oubaali and Donaire vs Casimero.
    They live, We sleep

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,127
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    391
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Interesting that with Ortiz it’s old old old, not good. With Gamboa it’s old old old, not talented. But with Donaire all I hear is good good good. On the downside, but good. I don’t know what it says but it’s interesting. I don’t know what’s different in these scenarios, just catches my eye that 3 very similar situations are looked at so vastly differently. I mean, Inoue has become number 1 P4P off beating a guy of equal age. Because the old guy gave him hell. What if Gamboa gives Tank hell? He gave Crawford some major issues. Sure that was a long time ago but we could say “Donaire gave Rigo no issues at all, long ago”

    I’m hoping for a good fight and Tank to move on to bigger things, it’s time if he has it in him.
    Over roughly the last year Donaire had got a win over a unified belt holder, Gamboa best win was a shot to pieces Martinez. I don't Inoue at #1 P4P, but he is up there and it has nothing to do with the Donaire fight. If anything he slipped a little, but he did fight with an injury and won pretty clear, although taking a fair amount of punishment.
    Donaire went back down in weight where he belonged and showed that he still had something left in the tank. He starting losing when he went up in weight. But like Alpha said, if anything, Inoue slipped a little from how I saw him. He did fracture his orbital in the second or third round I think so he did well considering that.

    Gamboa isn’t a push over, but he hasn’t proven anything as of late that he has rejuvenated his career. I do think that Gamboa is a live dog, but the difference is that Inoue fought top contenders in previous bouts. Tank has not.

    I thought Wilder bearing Ortiz was a good win. His age gets overstated. Ortiz hasn’t really shown his age in his fights. Ever since I first watched him fight, he hasn’t really changed. The only thing you could say is maybe his chin is weaker with age but that’s just speculation.
    Ortiz was a good win, he was a top 10 guy. It would be a stretch to get Gamboa in the top 10 at 135. Also after today, I'm confident in saying Donaire would have beaten Tete. Lets have Inoue vs Oubaali and Donaire vs Casimero.
    I assumed that they would put Inoue against Casimero. A very winnable fight that is against a title holder

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    This Lunatic Asylum
    Posts
    23,009
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2836
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    Donaire is in a different stratosphere to Gamboa and Ortiz, not just the fact he was still a current highly rated "world" champion but his past accomplishments. He was underrated against Inoue. Boxing fans are too quick to write off proven world-class fighters. Class is permanent.

    Donaire - four weight "world" champion, Ring Belt Champion, defeated thirteen former/future "world" champions, 2012 Fighter of the Year, 2007 Upset of the Year, 2007, 2011 KO of the Year, spent four years concurrent top six P4P rated (Ring). First Ballot HOF. Fact.

    Gamboa - former featherweight "world" champion, defeated 6 former "world" champions. No chance HOF. Fact.

    Ortiz - ZERO x "world" champion, defeated ZERO former/current champions. No chance HOF. Fact.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,585
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    403
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Donaire is in a different stratosphere to Gamboa and Ortiz, not just the fact he was still a current highly rated "world" champion but his past accomplishments. He was underrated against Inoue. Boxing fans are too quick to write off proven world-class fighters. Class is permanent.

    Donaire - four weight "world" champion, Ring Belt Champion, defeated thirteen former/future "world" champions, 2012 Fighter of the Year, 2007 Upset of the Year, 2007, 2011 KO of the Year, spent four years concurrent top six P4P rated (Ring). First Ballot HOF. Fact.

    Gamboa - former featherweight "world" champion, defeated 6 former "world" champions. No chance HOF. Fact.

    Ortiz - ZERO x "world" champion, defeated ZERO former/current champions. No chance HOF. Fact.
    You still claiming Miguel Marriaga coming off a loss and moving up in weight is a good opponent? 3 world title opportunities, 3 losses. Bunch of bums otherwise but wins your favor because you like the opponent, fact. Is it that you are a terrible judge of talent or that you have an agenda?

    You are so obvious. Marriaga is good but Gamboa isn’t, GTFOOH with your BS. I see right through you. Everyone will eventually because you are so obvious and I’ll just keep pointing out your double standards and they’ll catch on to exactly when they appl. You can’t do the same thing every time forever before people see it

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,585
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    403
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Interesting that with Ortiz it’s old old old, not good. With Gamboa it’s old old old, not talented. But with Donaire all I hear is good good good. On the downside, but good. I don’t know what it says but it’s interesting. I don’t know what’s different in these scenarios, just catches my eye that 3 very similar situations are looked at so vastly differently. I mean, Inoue has become number 1 P4P off beating a guy of equal age. Because the old guy gave him hell. What if Gamboa gives Tank hell? He gave Crawford some major issues. Sure that was a long time ago but we could say “Donaire gave Rigo no issues at all, long ago”

    I’m hoping for a good fight and Tank to move on to bigger things, it’s time if he has it in him.
    Over roughly the last year Donaire had got a win over a unified belt holder, Gamboa best win was a shot to pieces Martinez. I don't Inoue at #1 P4P, but he is up there and it has nothing to do with the Donaire fight. If anything he slipped a little, but he did fight with an injury and won pretty clear, although taking a fair amount of punishment.
    Well, by many accounts Inoue moved up precisely off this fight. I don’t lower him at all. He’s been high with me and stays high with me. I just want him to learn some defense or he will get KOed before too long. Well, not now that he’s with TR because their matchmaker is the best in the business. But his defense is too leaky to have his chin in the air as he does.

    Same weight as Rigo now right, hmmm

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,127
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    391
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Gervonta Davis v Yuriorkis Gamboa

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Donaire is in a different stratosphere to Gamboa and Ortiz, not just the fact he was still a current highly rated "world" champion but his past accomplishments. He was underrated against Inoue. Boxing fans are too quick to write off proven world-class fighters. Class is permanent.

    Donaire - four weight "world" champion, Ring Belt Champion, defeated thirteen former/future "world" champions, 2012 Fighter of the Year, 2007 Upset of the Year, 2007, 2011 KO of the Year, spent four years concurrent top six P4P rated (Ring). First Ballot HOF. Fact.

    Gamboa - former featherweight "world" champion, defeated 6 former "world" champions. No chance HOF. Fact.

    Ortiz - ZERO x "world" champion, defeated ZERO former/current champions. No chance HOF. Fact.
    You still claiming Miguel Marriaga coming off a loss and moving up in weight is a good opponent? 3 world title opportunities, 3 losses. Bunch of bums otherwise but wins your favor because you like the opponent, fact. Is it that you are a terrible judge of talent or that you have an agenda?

    You are so obvious. Marriaga is good but Gamboa isn’t, GTFOOH with your BS. I see right through you. Everyone will eventually because you are so obvious and I’ll just keep pointing out your double standards and they’ll catch on to exactly when they appl. You can’t do the same thing every time forever before people see it
    Maybe you should just start ignoring Fenster. You are trying to make him look bad but you just make yourself look bad because you are so obsessed with him. You claim that you just have a certain type of “attitude,” but come across as very vengeful as if you had something traumatic happen to you as a kid and now want all those who have wronged you or anyone like that to suffer.

    If something traumatic did happen to you then I truly am sorry. That’s awful. I just want you to know that there are better and more healthy ways to deal with it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Tevin Farmer v Gervonta Davis
    By Master in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2019, 12:23 AM
  2. Gervonta Davis vs. Hugo Ruiz
    By Master in forum Fight Threads
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 04-17-2019, 02:46 PM
  3. Gervonta Davis vs...
    By ykdadamaja in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-17-2017, 03:10 PM
  4. Gervonta Davis. Next star or next also ran?
    By Spicoli in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-16-2017, 06:43 AM
  5. Gervonta davis and Brandon Rios
    By imp in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-20-2017, 11:33 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing