Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Woah, Billy Mays, the infomercial guy, dead at 50

Police: TV pitchman Billy Mays found dead at home | Top AP Stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

TAMPA, Fla. — Billy Mays, the burly, bearded television pitchman known for his boisterous hawking of products such as Orange Glo and OxiClean, has died. He was 50.
    Tampa police said Mays was found unresponsive by his wife Sunday morning. A fire rescue crew pronounced him dead at 7:45 a.m.
    There were no signs of a break-in, and investigators do not suspect foul play, said Lt. Brian Dugan of the Tampa Police Department, who wouldn't answer any more questions about how Mays' body was found because of the ongoing investigation. The coroner's office expects to have an autopsy done by Monday afternoon.
    "Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days," said Mays' wife, Deborah. "Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."
    Born William Mays in McKees Rocks, Pa., on July 20, 1958, Mays developed his style demonstrating knives, mops and other "as seen on TV" gadgets on Atlantic City's boardwalk. For years he worked as a hired gun on the state fair and home show circuits, attracting crowds with his booming voice and genial manner.
    After meeting Orange Glo International founder Max Appel at a home show in Pittsburgh in the mid-1990s, Mays was recruited to demonstrate the environmentally friendly line of cleaning products on the St. Petersburg-based Home Shopping Network.
    Commercials and informercials followed, anchored by the high-energy Mays showing how it's done while tossing out kitschy phrases like, "Long live your laundry!"
    Recently he's been seen on commercials for a wide variety of products and is featured on the reality TV show "Pitchmen" on the Discovery Channel, which follows Mays and Anthony Sullivan in their marketing jobs. He's also been seen in ESPN ads.
    His ubiquitousness and thumbs-up, in-your-face pitches won Mays plenty of fans. People line up at his personal appearances for autographed color glossies, and strangers stop him in airports to chat about the products.
    "I enjoy what I do," Mays told The Associated Press in a 2002 interview. "I think it shows."
    Mays liked to tell the story of giving bottles of OxiClean to the 300 guests at his wedding, and doing his ad spiel ("powered by the air we breathe!") on the dance floor at the reception. Visitors to his house typically got bottles of cleaner and housekeeping tips.
    Discovery Channel spokeswoman Elizabeth Hillman released a statement Sunday extending sympathy to the Mays family.
    "Everyone that knows him was aware of his larger-than-life personality, generosity and warmth," Hillman's statement said. "Billy was a pioneer in his field and helped many people fulfill their dreams. He will be greatly missed as a loyal and compassionate friend."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default RIP Billy Mays

TV pitchman Billy Mays found dead in Tampa home - ESPN

For those who dont know Billy Mays, he is the lively pitchman for gadgets, cleaners and general infomercial type stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAE-r0fhiJE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: RIP Billy Mays

merged, must have posted almost the exact same time.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this was in a nytimes article

Tampa area media outlets reported that Mays was a passenger on a U.S. Airways flight that made a rough landing on Saturday afternoon at Tampa International Airport, apparently blowing its front tires in an incident that left debris on the runway.

Tampa Bay's Fox television affiliate interviewed Mays after the incident.
    ''All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping,'' MyFox Tampa Bay quoted him as saying. ''It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head.''

U.S. Airways officials said Sunday they could not immediately confirm that Mays was a passenger.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know somebody that was walking his dog, dog freaked out and ran and he tripped and fell, hit his head on the curb, thought he was fine and died later that night.

Don't know if that had anything to do with it but wouldn't be shocked. Guess we'll see with the autopsy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thats impressive Ouma, out of 5 posts you have 4

Well who knows, but kinda of crazy how many entertainers and public people who died this week

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heart attack.Not an entire shock though.Wonder if the flight caused him problems.Clots or such.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Didn't he get hit on the head as a result of a plane tire blowout or sumthin?

Meh, I hope someone on his behalf sues. Would love to read the verdict. "And to the plaintiff we award, 24.99 million, no, we can do better! 14.99 million , wait, wait, I can't believe I'm doing this, but for the next 60 seconds, you will get 3 million! that's right, 3 million dollars! And as well, if you accept right now, our people are awaiting your call, this awesome set of steak knives and juicer! This is a one time only offer so you better hurry! *Shipping and handling extra*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At first I was incredulous thinking that it was some sort of joke running off of Michael Jackson's death, but when I read the news I was thinking "Damn..." He was near the same age as Jacko too.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So it was de Coca

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    So it was de Coca
    That's what I just read. Railed his way to the hereafter. Or wherever.

Would explain the enthusiasm and speaking a few decibals louder then most.

Thread Information