Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy F*ck! Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez is signed and sealed for Sept 14th!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Holy F*ck! Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez is signed and sealed for Sept 14th

Glad they made the fight, and credit to both not just Floyd. But 152 is bs. You want legacy, fighting for greatness, just cut the parlor tricks and move up already. He's done it before. Suppose he whips Howdy Doody...then what, Martinez at 153 1/4 lbs. I def don't think it'll be for 4 belts. The wbc strap will be stashed back in Papa Jose trunk quicker than the judges next of kin by fight night.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Holy F*ck! Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez is signed and sealed for Sept 14th

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I will say shit about it. At 152? What a typical Mayweather joke. Canelo will be shot before he starts.
    I am an Alvarez fan but if a 22 yr old young man is that affected by 2 pounds against a 36 yr old who is naturally 5 pounds lighter then maybe he should make the 4 pound jump to middleweight himself. It is stupid to not be 154 but the idea that Saul will be shot at the weight is ridiculous. I don't think Mayweather was ever as worried about meeting him as has been made out and will relish the opportunity to enhance his legacy. I can't knock him on this one and though Alvarez does have a punchers chance he will struggle against such a slick craftsmen. It's a great fight. Now is the time to do it before age slows Floyd's legs.

I agree with Gandalf. Alvarez struggles to make 154 and stamina is poor due to this. Losing another 2 pounds will have a big effect and will really struggle late on in this fight.
    If it was at 154 he would struggle late on. He needs to go to work early because there is not a scenario in any script where he wins on points. He is more than capable of stopping Floyd even after coming in at 152 the day before. His trouble will be landing the kind of shot needed.
    What makes you think he is "more then capable of stopping" Mayweather? He has a solid chin and is very hard to hit.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not sure Sulaiman is going to turn down the sanctioning fee for a fight this size. Anybody know if/what the penalty per pound is if the ginger comes in over 152?

I think we're going to see another Floyd masterclass here.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do we all reckon this will do in PPV sales? I'd put the over/under at about 1.6 million.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I'm not sure Sulaiman is going to turn down the sanctioning fee for a fight this size. Anybody know if/what the penalty per pound is if the ginger comes in over 152?

I agree it will be another Floyd masterclass which will probably be blown out of proportion because of the hype that surrounds Canelo

If canelo doesnt make weight the fine should be whatever floyd was penalised for not bothering vs marquez. The Cw ruins this fight for me cuz it gives canelo an excuse. If your going to fight a champion beat them at their weight. Dont fight oscar and cotto at 154 cuz they are washed up but then demand a CW against a guy more dangerous

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo and his people will throw dollars at it and pull a Mayweather, shoes on the other foot. Kind of why I can't see the belt(s) really being at risk on scale and some serious politicking from wbc and others. I do think they'll strip Canelo though.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Remember all the hoopla about Mayweather not believing in catch-weights? How about I want the best Saul Alvarez?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the best fight for Mayweather out there other than Sergio Martinez. He should have faced Canelo at 154 so that no one could say a damn thing about it. The reason why this fight has the potential to be close is because of Canelo's size and punching power. Also, Canelo handled a faster boxer, foot-and-hand-speed, in Trout. So, the speed won't bother him.

Is this Mayweather's toughest challenge since who? De La Hoya? Corrales? I'm talking on paper.

Still I favor Mayweather big if the fight. How have the odds opened up for this one?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo better be in great shape! If he wants to hit Floyd he will have to out maneuver him, so far that's a real problem for anyone who fights Floyd.
    I think Canelo is doing the right thing by fighting for every advantage he can get, Floyd sure as hell is. Negotiating is a saw cuts both ways.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is big risk fight for Mayweather, even if Canelo is a little drained he doesn't have to crack the floyd code to do some real damage, he keeps pounding that body and Money is gonna feel it, blocked shots or not.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Canelo and his people will throw dollars at it and pull a Mayweather, shoes on the other foot. Kind of why I can't see the belt(s) really being at risk on scale and some serious politicking from wbc and others. I do think they'll strip Canelo though.
    You do all realise that the light middle class is ANY WEIGHT between 147 and 154? As long as they dont weigh over 154 it will be for the titles...

They could both weigh in at 148lb and it still be for the title

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Props to Floyd for taking this fight and finally fighting more than once a year. You guys give catchweights too much negative feedback. Floyd is not a light middleweight and will never be one. Canelo is not a welterweight so a catchweight makes sense to make this fight. 152 is only two pounds below the limit. I'm actually surprise Floyd agreed to 152. I would of thought it at 150, but Floyd will def be giving up a lot of weight to a much younger fighter.

Floyd by easy UD.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

You do all realise that the light middle class is ANY WEIGHT between 147 and 154? As long as they dont weigh over 154 it will be for the titles...

Not if its a contracted 152 limit eh :x . I don't think Canelo will make weight, the wbc will be stripped shortly regardless.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    This is big risk fight for Mayweather, even if Canelo is a little drained he doesn't have to crack the floyd code to do some real damage, he keeps pounding that body and Money is gonna feel it, blocked shots or not.
    I was thinking the same but he missed a blueprint-batting practice a bit with a poor poor mans Mayweather in Trout. He turned boxer late on and was being touted for his defense I don't see him having that luxury with Mayweather

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

Not if its a contracted 152 limit eh :x . I don't think Canelo will make weight, the wbc will be stripped shortly regardless.
    They could contract at any weight in the limit, if its in the limit the title is still on the line. You dont have to weigh in at 154 on the dot for it to be a valid light middle title fight.

Thread Information