Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: HBO/SKY SPORTS - Matthew Macklin v Gennady Golovkin- Saturday Night Fight Chat Thread

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You may be right and at this point it is just conjecture but everything points to GGG hitting harder than any middleweight for a long time. Not just his record, but sparring partners and opponents who he has chopped down without breaking a sweat.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: HBO/SKY SPORTS - Matthew Macklin v Gennady Golovkin- Saturday Night Fight Chat Th

Hey, I was at this fight last night. It was my first pro fight. What a fantastic evening. Although a few of the undercard were a bit lame but I enjoyed the shit out of every moment of the evening. I was a bit disappointed about the draw on the Oosthuizen fight. From my seats it looked like Gonzales did more than enough to win. Granted, Oosthuizen came back in the later rounds but I felt it was too little too late. I was also disappointed as I am a Macklin fan but to be honest I knew it would be tough for Macklin to pull out a W. It was a pleasure seeing Golovkin at work.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: HBO/SKY SPORTS - Matthew Macklin v Gennady Golovkin- Saturday Night Fight Chat Th

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Hey, I was at this fight last night. It was my first pro fight. What a fantastic evening. Although a few of the undercard were a bit lame but I enjoyed the shit out of every moment of the evening. I was a bit disappointed about the draw on the Oosthuizen fight. From my seats it looked like Gonzales did more than enough to win. Granted, Oosthuizen came back in the later rounds but I felt it was too little too late. I was also disappointed as I am a Macklin fan but to be honest I knew it would be tough for Macklin to pull out a W. It was a pleasure seeing Golovkin at work.
    Your 1st of many we hope

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh yes, I will be going again. One of my main driving forces leading me to go was feedback I received here. My buddies had to cancel at the last moment but it was great none the less. Oddly, the place almost had a riot. The judges gave a win to someone who had clearly lost ( I forgot which fight off hand) anyway, the place erupted in Boos and chants of bullshit. It got so intense people were actually rushing the ring. It didn't take long for everyone to chill but it was nuts for a few minutes.
    I will be monitoring Foxwoods and Mohegan here in CT. For any upcoming fights.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rewatch on HBO, again. Screw work in the A.M Suprised thay are now recognizing the Ibo ffs If you ever want to experience a fighter on a different level, block the top portion of the screen and only watch the lower legs-feet.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Rewatch on HBO, again. Screw work in the A.M Suprised thay are now recognizing the Ibo ffs If you ever want to experience a fighter on a different level, block the top portion of the screen and only watch the lower legs-feet.
    That's what I was most impressed with too. We already knew he had tremendous power, but his actual command of the ring and movement is getting overlooked (not by everyone obviously) because of the power. Some silly comparisions flying about between Golovkin and other big punchers that he has nothing in common with.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    That's what I was most impressed with too. We already knew he had tremendous power, but his actual command of the ring and movement is getting overlooked (not by everyone obviously) because of the power. Some silly comparisions flying about between Golovkin and other big punchers that he has nothing in common with.
    @Fenster - would you compare him to?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    @Fenster - would you compare him to?
    Not sure really. Just saying comparisons with the likes of Abraham and Tyson are way off considering his style is nothing alike. Golovkin winning a fight is not soley based on his power, although it is obviously a big factor.
    Last edited by Fenster; 07-05-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Jesus, I really can't spell it

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure really. Just saying comparisions with the likes of Abraham and Tyson are way off considering his style is nothing alike. Golovkin winning a fight is not soley based on his power, although it is obviously a big factor.
    I disagree with this @Fenster. When he is compared with Abraham, myself and others are only doing this on a power scale at Middleweight to explain that power doesn't always transfer up in weight. This was to discount the comments made that he would blow away certain Super-Middles. From what I have read, everyone accepts he is vastly more skilled than Abraham.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Not sure really. Just saying comparisions with the likes of Abraham and Tyson are way off considering his style is nothing alike. Golovkin winning a fight is not soley based on his power, although it is obviously a big factor.
    I disagree with this @Fenster. When he is compared with Abraham, myself and others are only doing this on a power scale at Middleweight to explain that power doesn't always transfer up in weight. This was to discount the comments made that he would blow away certain Super-Middles. From what I have read, everyone accepts he is vastly more skilled than Abraham.
    Fair enough, I did understand the comparison was mainly based on power not carrying up. However, Golovkin is so much more skilled than guys like Abraham he wouldn't be so reliant on power anyway. That's all i'm saying. Maybe I'm wrong....
    Last edited by Fenster; 07-05-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: I can't spell comparison

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin is more skilled than many fighters in more than the Middleweight division. His single mindedness and focus is impressive precisely because he does not solely rely on his power. He is busy but does not waste punches, and his shot selection is great

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    I disagree with this @Fenster . When he is compared with Abraham, myself and others are only doing this on a power scale at Middleweight to explain that power doesn't always transfer up in weight. This was to discount the comments made that he would blow away certain Super-Middles. From what I have read, everyone accepts he is vastly more skilled than Abraham.
    Fair enough, I did understand the comparision was mainly based on power not carrying up. However, Golovkin is so much more skilled than guys like Abraham he wouldn't be so reliant on power anyway. That's all i'm saying. Maybe I'm wrong....
    I totally agree. I just think the notion that he would absolutely blow someone like Carl Froch away is ridiculous when there is no evidence his power will carry up. That isn't to say I think he is incapable of beating Froch, just think people are falling in love with his power and getting carried away. He's not fought anyone anywhere on the level of Froch or Ward yet.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am a big Froch fan but I don't think speculating about Golovkin being able to meet that challenge is ridiculous. Proposing that he could knock out Wlad would be ridiculous. I actually don't think there is any evidence to suggest that Froch hits any harder than Gennady or would be able to outbox him. It's kinda pointless guessing until it happens but I think Froch may retire or get beaten by the time GGG moves up.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information