Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  68
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Conor McGregor toys with Paulie Malinaggi in sparring?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Conor McGregor toys with Paulie Malinaggi in sparring?

You think they would have learnt after Floyd/ Pac.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    People keep assuming Mc is gonna be a face first pressure fighter, but that's not his game. Why would a super highly skilled MMA fighter turn into a thick brawler knowing that's exactly what Floyd wants? The boooos are gonna be deafening.

And Floyd is probably the "dirtiest" fighter Mc will have faced - elbow, forearm, holding, low blows, feigning injury. From the little MMA i've seen those bods are far more disciplined than boxers (generally) when it comes to breaking rules.
    What other chance does he have? He won't out box Floyd or get him coming forward. Floyd is going to fight his fight. Mac is going to get frustrated sooner or later at swinging and missing, then getting countered. What would you advise him to do that 49 other boxers haven't already tried? Physical pressure fights like Castillo and Maidana are the closest I've seen to Floyd losing. DLH had success with the jab but I doubt Mac can emulate that and Judah boxed we'll from the southpaw stance early but is way more skilled than McGregor could ever hope to be. A pressure, grinding approach using his size and power has to be the logical game plan doesn't it?
    Logical game plan? Yeah. But it would be totally alien to the way he fights, so no different than asking Floyd to force the fight if nothing is happening.

Mc wins a moral victory if he goes the distance. The "best boxer in the world" - TBE - can't stop a UFC champion having his boxing debut, yet EVERYONE on earth knows Floyd wouldn't last three minutes in Mc's world.

He'll probably get frustrated and do what you say but I'd expect a few rounds of posing before anything happens.
    I would give Floyd a way better chance to beat Conor in MMA than I would give Conor to beat Floyd in a boxing matchup. You can say what you want about floyds punching power but his punches obviously have sting on them. That's why his opponents quit throwing punches after a round or two. Because his counter punches are hurting.

Floyd will definitely KO Conor if he wants to (which I'm assuming he will). MMA fighters don't get nearly the leverage on punches that boxers do. Floyd won't have to worry about getting hit by a big shot for two reasons. One, Conor will not be able to land. Floyd is such a good defensive fighter and has avoided his opponents shots well. No way Conor can box his first fight and actually land anything of significance. Second, even if he does land, Conor in no way hits harder than anybody Floyd has ever fought at welter. His punch won't be that hard comparatively. Conor will easily be worse than a normal sparring partner.

I'm shocked that anybody who watches boxing would think that Conor has any chance whatsoever. I mean even if Floyd couldn't hurt Conor for whatever reason, he will be so tired by the late rounds that his power will be about gone and Floyd can easily land tons of punches at will and Conor would at least fall from exhaustion.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What weight is McGregor then, is it going to be a huge difference?

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Has anyone actually gone and watched a number of his mma matches and stand up? When you realize Conner has roughly less than 60 minutes of in ring/cage over entire career the thought of pacing and lasting full 12 rounds strikes me as laughable to be honest. mma basically wear fingerless gloves and he'll be wearing 10 oz pillows on his hands compared.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Mc's stamina is a massive question mark too? Have no idea how the energy exerted in an MMA fight compares with boxing but they sure do look to rapidly run out of steam.

If he was fighting a top drawer pressure fighter (boxer) I wouldn't give him a hope in hells of lasting a few rounds, absolutely certain he would get slaughtered. However, it's Floyd.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I would give Floyd a way better chance to beat Conor in MMA than I would give Conor to beat Floyd in a boxing matchup.

Floyd will definitely KO Conor if he wants to (which I'm assuming he will).
    "He'll stop him if he wants to" is cliche nonsense (imo). I grew up believing that too, however, the only real reason a fighter seemingly in a postition to KO their opponent doesn't is because they can't. They don't want to risk opening themselves up, tiring out. It's purely about a fighters mindset. 99.9% of them orgasm when they hurt/buzz/wobble their opponent and instinctively attempt to render them unconcious immediately.

So Floyd will definitely KO Conor if he can, if he doesn't it's because he wasn't capable.

Floyd wouldn't have a hope in hells of beating a highly skilled expert in kicking, kneeing, elbowing (he'd be good at that mind), wrestling, tripping and twisting arms and legs off. Floyd is fighting a man that has to be severely handicapped to make the crossover event viable.

MMA experts make boxers look primitive.
    Last edited by Fenster; 07-24-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I would give Floyd a way better chance to beat Conor in MMA than I would give Conor to beat Floyd in a boxing matchup.

Floyd will definitely KO Conor if he wants to (which I'm assuming he will).
    "He'll stop him if he wants to" is cliche nonsense (imo). I grew up believing that too, however, the only real reason a fighter seemingly in a postition to KO their opponent doesn't is because they can't. They don't want to risk opening themselves up, tiring out. It's purely about a fighters mindset. 99.9% of them orgasm when they hurt/buzz/wobble their opponent and instinctively attempt to render them unconcious immediately.

So Floyd will definitely KO Conor if he can, if he doesn't it's because he wasn't capable.

Floyd wouldn't have a hope in hells of beating a highly skilled expert in kicking, kneeing, elbowing (he'd be good at that mind), wrestling, tripping and twisting arms and legs off. Floyd is fighting a man that has to be severely handicapped to make the crossover event viable.

MMA experts make boxers look primitive.
    I don't know fen I watch mma and I see the flailing on the floor and I think they make boxing look more beautiful

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For sure, I mean for practical reasons though.

And I specifically mean the very best practitioners of MMA, not just any old joe soap.

Floyd would knock half the UFC bods his size spark out with a jab if allowed to wear the knuckle dusters. Effing scary to think what would happen if sicko boxing bangers would do in the knuckle dusters. Frightening.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually rethinking this - Floyd's footwork and reflexes are a huge factor in what makes him such a great fighter, he could easily feint/slip and flush a righthand/lefthook straight onto an MMA bods bonce. With the knuckle dusters it would be goodnight irene before they knew what hit them.

Yeah, Floyd-Mc in a cage isn't really much different a mismatch as it is under boxing rules.

Fact.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only difference is that Boxing is a Sport! anything where you can Elbow your opponent, hit him with virtually bare fists and Punch the fucker when he is down on the floor , is glorified Street fighting thuggery! you can't call it a Sport.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually rethinking this - Floyd's footwork and reflexes are a huge factor in what makes him such a great fighter, he could easily feint/slip and flush a righthand/lefthook straight onto an MMA bods bonce. With the knuckle dusters it would be goodnight irene before they knew what hit them.

Yeah, Floyd-Mc in a cage isn't really much different a mismatch as it is under boxing rules.

Fact.
    Ain't really seen McGregor fight much but all he'd have to do is take Floyd down. Forget everything else Floyd would have to avoid (kicks, knees etc). Floyd is a great defensive boxer but he only has to defend from punches.

In the octagon I don't see Floyd lasting a round.

Mentioned
    949 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    The only difference is that Boxing is a Sport! anything where you can Elbow your opponent, hit him with virtually bare fists and Punch the fucker when he is down on the floor , is glorified Street fighting thuggery! you can't call it a Sport.
    Boxing is not just a sport that just another way of denigrating it. It has never been and never will be just a sport. Martial Arts, of which boxing is one, are sports also. Allowing people to use more than one martial art does not suddenly make it no longer a sport however distasteful you may find it.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    949 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And I specifically mean the very best practitioners of MMA, not just any old joe soap.

Floyd would knock half the UFC bods his size spark out with a jab if allowed to wear the knuckle dusters. Effing scary to think what would happen if sicko boxing bangers would do in the knuckle dusters. Frightening.
    It does not really work like that. Big boxing gloves increase your ability to knock somebody out not reduce it. For all that padding you are not cushioning the blow as much as protecting the fighter's hands. You are adding a big weight to the end of the arm and physics dictates that will increase the power of the impact. You hit someone repeatedly in the head without gloves and it fucks your hands up which is why bare knuckle fighters will punch to the body a lot and lower their heads to break an opponents hands. Floyd would not get near enough when people are allowed to use their legs. Mcgregor is not going to outbox Floyd and Floyd is not going to take him down anywhere but inside a boxing ring.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Boxing is not just a sport that just another way of denigrating it. It has never been and never will be just a sport. Martial Arts, of which boxing is one, are sports also. Allowing people to use more than one martial art does not suddenly make it no longer a sport however distasteful you may find it.
    Firstly, where did I say that Boxing is JUST a sport , therefore denigrating it?
    Secondly, I have no problem with use of more than one Martial art, but do you feel that it is Sporting that somebody can put somebody on the floor (sometimes rendering them unconscious) and carry on Punching them in the face?
    here we go again!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post

It does not really work like that. Big boxing gloves increase your ability to knock somebody out not reduce it. For all that padding you are not cushioning the blow as much as protecting the fighter's hands. You are adding a big weight to the end of the arm and physics dictates that will increase the power of the impact. You hit someone repeatedly in the head without gloves and it fucks your hands up which is why bare knuckle fighters will punch to the body a lot and lower their heads to break an opponents hands. Floyd would not get near enough when people are allowed to use their legs. Mcgregor is not going to outbox Floyd and Floyd is not going to take him down anywhere but inside a boxing ring.
    Actually, It doesn't really work like that. Big boxing gloves aren't there just to stop guys knuckles from being sore. they are also there for a safety measure for the opponent. you are far more likely to get cut to shreds by bare fists or virtually bare fists.
    and although you are adding a big weight to your arm, it also means that because you have a weight on your arm , you are not able to throw the punch with the same speed , power and torque. Also, that big extra weight is indeed padded, and taking all this into consideration probably evens it all out.

Thread Information