Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  321
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: This day in boxing. A look back.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

On this day in 2015: James DeGale wins super-middleweight title

On May 23, 2015 James DeGale won the IBF super-middleweight title against Andre Dirrell in Boston.

Here, the PA news agency takes a look back at the fight.

After Carl Froch vacated the IBF super-middleweight title due to injury, challengers DeGale and Dirrell were paired together. The bout took place at the Agganis Arena in Boston and DeGale put on the performance of his career, completely outboxing the American. He floored Dirrell twice in the second round, but could not force a knockout. However, the Briton had done enough to earn a comfortable unanimous points victory, with two judges scoring the fight 114–112 and the third 117–109.

In beating Dirrell and becoming world champion, DeGale earned a slice of history. He became the first British boxer to win an Olympic gold as an amateur and then win a world title as a professional. The Londoner topped the podium at the 2008 Beijing Games. Only Anthony Joshua and Nicola Adams, have followed suit.

DeGale took on Sweden’s Badou Jack in a unification fight, but it was declared a draw so he retained his IBF belt. But he lost it in his next defence against Caleb Truax at London’s Copper Box on a majority decision only to claim it back in a rematch five months later with a unanimous points decision. A routine knockout victory over Fidel Munoz followed before DeGale’s career ended in 2019 when he was beaten on points by Chris Eubank Jr and subsequently retired.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/day...050000867.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Had doubts about DeGale early on but turned out to be an interesting run. Liked when he came over to beat Dirrell and some fireworks with Medina and Jack. Hope he's done for good though as honestly he looked like a ko waiting to happen late with the lesser of the Eubanks.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Had doubts about DeGale early on but turned out to be an interesting run. Liked when he came over to beat Dirrell and some fireworks with Medina and Jack. Hope he's done for good though as honestly he looked like a ko waiting to happen late with the lesser of the Eubanks.
    De Gale also had a high quality match up early in his career against George Groves. He also seemed hampered by injury and poor personality. I am glad he put on that good run which you mentioned when he won the title, went on the road defending it and made good money.

I do not think he will comeback losing to Eubank Junior would be embarrassing for him especially knowing Groves handled him so easily.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tony Bellew becomes WBC world cruiserweight champion

On May 29, 2016 Tony Bellew won the vacant WBC world cruiserweight title with a third-round knockout of Ilunga Makabu at Goodison Park.

Here, the PA news agency takes a look back at that fight.

Bellew got the chance to fight for the WBC world cruiserweight title after reigning champion Grigory Drozd vacated the belt due to injury. The Liverpudlian was not overly keen on facing the Congolese fighter, describing him as his “worst nightmare”. A southpaw, with a big punch, Makabu had the ability to cause Bellew problems. The British fighter had home advantage on his side, though, with the bout staged at Everton’s Goodison Park stadium. Bellew is a devoted Everton fan, making it a special night for him.

Fears about Makabu were well-placed as his power caught Bellew cold in the first round and sent him to the canvas, even though he had dominated. A long night looked on the cards, but Bellew recovered and delivered a barrage of left hooks in the third round that floored Makabu, with the referee intervening. It was a glorious moment for Bellew, who won a world title at the third attempt after previous bouts against Nathan Cleverly and Adonis Stevenson had ended in defeat.

After a routine defence against BJ Flores, Bellew stepped up to heavyweight to settle his rivalry with David Haye. Bellew beat a heavily impaired Haye with an 11th-round knockout. The pair had a lucrative rematch, which Bellew again won with a convincing display. He returned to cruiserweight to take on undisputed champion Oleksandr Usyk, but lost and subsequently retired.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/day...050000284.html

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was wanting Bellew to beat Usyk.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    I was wanting Bellew to beat Usyk.

I never wanted Bellew to win but when I heard him interviewed before this world title fight at his favourite football teams stadium I wanted him to win. It was a very exciting and dramatic fight so glad he achieved his dream.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I though Khan won gold for some reason. Were there any Brits who did and came close to a belt in the pros? Surprised Degale was the first.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I though Khan won gold for some reason. Were there any Brits who did and came close to a belt in the pros? Surprised Degale was the first.
    Khan won a silver medal in 2004.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Khan won a silver medal in 2004.
    Mesa from Cuba beat him

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On this Day in 2014: Carl Froch again proves too strong for George Groves

Carl Froch defeated George Groves for a second time at Wembley Stadium on this day (May 31) six years ago.

The 36-year-old produced a sensational knockout to see off the challenger and hold on to his WBA and IBF super middleweight belts.

Here, the PA news agency takes a look back at that fight.

The pair had fought in Manchester six months earlier with younger man Groves upsetting the favourite early on. Froch admitted he had taken Groves lightly after being floored in the first round and outboxed in the early stages, before triumphing courtesy of a controversial ninth-round stoppage.

Promoter Eddie Hearn, naturally perhaps, talked up the second contest as the “biggest fight in British boxing history”, but his bold statement was backed up by ticket sales as an 80,000 sell-out crowd descended on Wembley. It was the biggest British boxing attendance since 90,000 watched Len Harvey and Jock McAvoy fight for the British light heavyweight belt in London’s White City Stadium in 1939.

Froch brought a record of 32 wins and two defeats to the ring, with 23 knockouts, compared with Groves’ 19-1 (15KOs). The Nottingham fighter had won his first world title in 2008 and had nine successful world title fights to his name, as well as losses against Mikkel Kessler and Andre Ward. But he knew his legacy was at stake in the domestic contest as 26-year-old Groves looked to step up a level.

It proved a generally cagier contest than the first fight with little between the two men until it erupted in the eighth round. As Groves let his guard slip for a split second, Froch unleashed the shot which saw the challenger crumple to the canvas unconscious. The champion said: “I knew it was only going to take a couple of big right hands to the chin and I timed it perfectly. It’s a 12-round sport, last time I was rushing it, I was trying to catch him with that shot in round one and ended up walking into one and it made for a spectacle. That was a tactical, stand-off fight.” Groves said: “Obviously I felt I was doing very well in the fight, I was in my groove and I was boxing well but it’s boxing. I’ve got to hold my hands up – Carl caught me with a shot but I’ll come back bigger, better and stronger.”

Froch described the winning shot as “the best punch of my life” and it proved to be his last. An elbow injury forced him to pull out of a Las Vegas swansong against Julio Cesar Chavez and he announced his retirement in July 2015. Groves suffered defeat in his third world title challenge, against Badou Jack, but patience paid off in May 2017 when he defeated Fedor Chudinov to claim the WBA title. The Londoner defended it against Jamie Cox and Chris Eubank Jr before suffering defeat in his last fight against Callum Smith in the World Boxing Super Series final.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/day...050000527.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

i still remeber a year ago i've started my boxing classes near my home, my first ever boxing gloves is Elitesports and on the first day at my class I've got broke my nose i can't forget that day, i was bleeding very badly

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On this day 04 June 2005 Ricky Hatton put in a super human effort to dethrone IBF light welterweight champion Kostya Tszyu. 11 rounds of will versus skill, brilliant stuff from Hatton. Never been a big fan of Ricky but he just wouldn't be denied that night and you've got to applaud that.

When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On this day 1999: Joe Calzaghe retains WBO super-middleweight title

Joe Calzaghe still had plenty to prove when he stepped into the ring to face little-known Australian Rick Thornberry in the fourth defence of his WBO super-middleweight title in Cardiff.

The unbeaten Calzaghe had squeezed a contentious verdict over former WBC champion Robin Reid in his previous bout in Newcastle, and was banking on a conclusive finish against his opponent.

But the curse of Calzaghe’s hand injuries struck again, effectively negating his power from the third round onwards, and allowing Thornberry to survive to the final bell, where the Welshman gained an unsatisfactory verdict.

It was a tough time in Calzaghe’s career, and questions would continue to be asked after another dull points win over David Starie in his subsequent bout, as he struggled to gain the plaudits his skills deserved.

Arguably they did not arrive until his stunning win over highly-fancied American Jeff Lacy in 2006 – setting Calzaghe on his way to true boxing superstardom, and ultimately retirement with his unbeaten record proudly intact.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/day...050000089.html

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Monday, 8 June is the 35th anniversary of one of boxing's most memorable nights.

On a cool evening in early summer 1985, at Loftus Road football ground in London, Barry McGuigan deposed the mighty Eusebio Pedroza to win the WBA world featherweight title.

It was the culmination of a remarkable journey for the charismatic young man from Monaghan in the Republic of Ireland. His sporting triumph was seen as a story which somehow brought the divided communities north of the border together.

The fight took place against a backdrop of dark and troubled days in Northern Ireland. Headlines and stories about hatred, violence, death and destruction abounded.

Tragedy piled upon tragedy as bombs and bullets spoke for the opposing sides of Unionists and Republicans.

It was a time of sporting tragedy too, as the Heysel Stadium disaster and Bradford City fire had recently occurred.

But 1985 was a year during which sporting triumph found a path through the gloom and despair for the people of Northern Ireland.

It was the year Dennis Taylor, from Coalisland, potted the most famous black ball ever to beat Steve Davis in that memorable late-night world snooker final.

At the time, Joey Dunlop was the TT Formula One motorcycling champion and Billy Bingham's Northern Ireland were qualifying for a second successive World Cup finals.

However, 1985 will be remembered by many for McGuigan's sensational world boxing triumph.

The Clones Cyclone was seen not just as a supreme fighter but a popular figure who united Northern Ireland's communities.

McGuigan, 24, had enjoyed a successful amateur career, competing at the 1978 Commonwealth Games and the Moscow Olympics two years later. As a pro he won British and European titles and then got his big chance when Pedroza agreed to defend his WBA world featherweight title.

The Panamanian was a legend among featherweights. The man from Panama City was the longest-reigning champion at the time, having held the WBA belt for seven years. Against McGuigan, he would be making a record 20th defence of the title.

The 29-year-old had been a pro since 1973 and, at 5ft 9in, was tall for his weight division.

The fight was staged at the west London home of Queens Park Rangers football team. There were 27,000 people there on that Saturday night and it seemed as if all of them were Irish.

Such Northern Irish sporting royalty as George Best, Norman Whiteside, Willie John McBride and Mary Peters were among those at the ground.

McGuigan's planned route to the ring had to be abandoned as fans swarmed around their hero. The challenger had to clamber through seats and it took him 12 minutes to get to the ring. Pedroza made it relatively unnoticed. The fight was live on BBC television and also on ABC in America.

McGuigan was seen not just as a great boxer, but also as a beacon of peace in Northern Ireland and beyond.

McGuigan said: "It was a very hostile time and there was a lot of craziness going on. I just did not want to get involved in it - there was enough sadness and hatred everywhere we looked.

"I deliberately took a stance of neutrality and wore the United Nations flag of peace on my shorts."

The crafty Pedroza had the better of things in the early rounds.

"He was freakishly tall and skilful," recalled McGuigan. "I knew technically he was far superior to me, and that the only way to beat him was to beat him for pace. If you stood off him he would just box your ears off all night long."

The turning point was the seventh round when Pedroza was caught by a right to the head and went down. He survived a count to eight and the contest continued.

McGuigan had never been beyond 10 rounds but the fight went the distance to 15 with the man from Monaghan crowned the new champion on a unanimous points verdict.

Pedroza died in March 2019 one day short of his 63rd birthday but speaking on the 30th anniversary in 2015, he reflected with admiration on the man who brought his long reign to an end.

"What I always remember is that Barry McGuigan was a sportsman who came looking for the world title," said the Panamanian.

"It was a hard fight. He came looking for that title and got what he wanted.

"I gave the opportunity to him and he knew how to make the most of that. He was a true champion of the world."

McGuigan, with trainer and mentor Barney Eastwood by his side, was welcomed by an estimated 75,000 in Belfast city centre two days after his victory.

"It was absolute madness, but great," said McGuigan who later sparked similar scenes in Dublin as he made a celebratory parade in O'Connell Street.

McGuigan's achievement landed him the BBC Sports Personality of the Year title for 1985 - he was the first person from outside the United Kingdom to receive the honour.

He made two successful defences of the title before it all turned sour in the searing heat of an outdoor arena in Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas in June 1986 when American Steve Cruz took a unanimous decision.

Costly legal battles followed in an acrimonious split with manager Eastwood, who died earlier this year. McGuigan went on to be promoted by Frank Warren for two fights before losing a third to Jim McDonnell and quitting the ring.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/52966159

Thread Information