0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Timeless Classics from Long Ago

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    I say to this day, Marvin ruined Mugabi. His punch resistance was never the same after this bout.
    Definitely ruined Mugabe, but Hagler took a pounding and some have said HE was never quite the same after that either. Haglers face at the end was really fucked up.
    THX! I never knew the effects Marvin suffered. I'd have to accept that was the kind of fight where both fighters leave something in the ring they can never get back.
    I guess we can't really be sure as it was pointed out that he only fought one more time after that. Not enough time really to see how it affected him physically. Although his performance against Leonard is quite suspect but not sure if we can base it on that alone.

I just can't get over Marvin hagler's face at the end of the fight. My God he is almost unrecognizable. If that fight had gone another five rounds I think his eyes would have swollen shut.

Yeah, Hagler never was quite marked up like THAT. Who knows..... Like I said maybe you're right about the lingering effects, if only psychologically. Hagler's last three fights in order were: Hearns, Mugabi, Leonard. Something happened in there in that the Hagler that answered the bell for Leonard was totally different than the one that came out against Hearns. This (Leonard) is one of those "rematches-that-never-were" that I would've loved to see.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I say to this day, Marvin ruined Mugabi. His punch resistance was never the same after this bout.
    Definitely ruined Mugabe, but Hagler took a pounding and some have said HE was never quite the same after that either. Haglers face at the end was really fucked up.
    THX! I never knew the effects Marvin suffered. I'd have to accept that was the kind of fight where both fighters leave something in the ring they can never get back.
    I guess we can't really be sure as it was pointed out that he only fought one more time after that. Not enough time really to see how it affected him physically. Although his performance against Leonard is quite suspect but not sure if we can base it on that alone.

I just can't get over Marvin hagler's face at the end of the fight. My God he is almost unrecognizable. If that fight had gone another five rounds I think his eyes would have swollen shut.

Yeah, Hagler never was quite marked up like THAT. Who knows..... Like I said maybe you're right about the lingering effects, if only psychologically. Hagler's last three fights in order were: Hearns, Mugabi, Leonard. Something happened in there in that the Hagler that answered the bell for Leonard was totally different than the one that came out against Hearns. This (Leonard) is one of those "rematches-that-never-were" that I would've loved to see.
    Hagler fought less frequently during the end of his reign due to injuries. He had a back injury, cut eye and broken nose which delayed his fight with Mugabi.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Hagler fought less frequently during the end of his reign due to injuries. He had a back injury, cut eye and broken nose which delayed his fight with Mugabi.

He can count his blessings that he still has his faculties, speaks well.

I could kick myself for losing a blessing of 2 videos of him, one I was at a clinic front row. The other was him speaking at IBHOF banquet. He was ROASTED! DANG-IT!! I can only talk about it. The previous night in Canastota-not sure how i ended up in this small entrance from the back up Grazi's pub (guess I was roasted too), in comes 2 guys and Marvin. I wanted to ask for autograph or photo so bad, but they got him in that area to keep from getting mobbed by the fans, so I played it cool.
    He spoke 1st!
    "Hey what's goin on"
    Me and my ghetto tendencies popped out and replied "Baby bruh, Marvelous Marv what it do? Everythang is everythang can ya dig it?"
    He laughed! & said oh yeah I can dig it

Oh, now I remember!!! ok I was hanging with a photographer who was cool with Michael Carbajal- they kept joking I looked like Celestino Cabalero (which I DO NOT!) he went to his/someone's car & joked I need my bodyguard, Yo Celistino!! When we got in that backdoor...thats how I met Marv. Looked like a Welter at best, but that was years after he retired 2010 or so.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

16mm transfer

Last edited by NoSavingByTheBell; 10-03-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

33 years ago, Pernell Whitaker was no crafty technician. Not yet a brilliant counter puncher with an illusive defense. Going in against Roger Mayweather he was 11-0 standing in the pocket, no running! Grabbed the victory by fighting toe to toe.

All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information