19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: sourpuss's training log

Quote Originally Posted by sourpuss View Post
    My opponent got the flu.
    More time to prepare, right? (looking on the bright side)
    I'm hoping that someone will turn up but the chances are slim to none.
    She prob. was just afraid of an ass whoopin'! Hopefully someone shows up. No shows are such bummer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have you tried trash talking your opponents into fighting you? James Toney style? I think it suits you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My opponent got the flu.
    More time to prepare, right? (looking on the bright side)
    I'm hoping that someone will turn up but the chances are slim to none.
    That is a bummer but i guess when the weather is cold and you're NOT sick while other people are then you're doing something right with your training.

I always found I'd get sick easily when i was in full training and it annoyed me but if you don't that's something to be proud of.

You have more time to develop your game plan too and make some of the counters you need automatic so even under pressure it will be there when she is ready to compete again - probably a bit out of condition after being sick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks everyone. Starting tomorrow I'm going to get back in to training nazi mode. I feel like I've been a bit lazy lately and I know I haven't been doing enough. I've been getting a lot of sparring but it's with a gal from my gym who is very new and VERY slow. So I think I may have actually taken a few steps backwards. So I'm going to concentrate on my style and conditioning on all my workouts outside of the gym and in the gym as much as possible. I think I may just use sparring with this gal as a conditioning exercise and hope that I don't pick up too many bad habits. Anyone else ever had this problem? This is the second time this has happened to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have had this problem for sure.

I really don't know what to do about it. i think it's common when you don't have enough sparring partners your own size to work with.

Plus if have a good sparring temprement then a coach will trust you with a beginner and think he's made a good match and forget that you need other sparring partners too.

I think I commented a few times but probably was not really pushy enough about getting a variety od sparring partners.

When the state squad had interclub sparring that was awesome but when it wasn't there then it sucked really.

My main coach didn't really want me to go there because it was on a day when he would traditionally get me to work with his girlfriend.

At the time this started we hadn't done that for a while but she wanted more coaching so he wanted to start it again but we could have just as easily done that any other day of the week.

I ended up going anyway but i think my coaches attitude set a precident for where they prioritized my training in the club.

I think my skills ended up going backwards in most areas especially since for a long time i wasn't even allowed to throw particular combinations at her like hooks or uppercuts and her being taller and heavier i found that really limiting.

If your coach really can't see that you need better quality sparring i would go elsewhere because he's either really not taking your development seriously or he doesn't know what you need to develop.

That sounds harsh but as you say this is the second time it has happened to you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oddly Feur fought with the flu
    Before anybody thinks I thought I was sending a csick fighter in to the ring, there was this really weird strain of the flu that went through here, that would come out of nowhere and come back.It did it to me too
    It relapsed when she was allready at the fight, so she fought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My training hasn't been ideal lately. My coach is back tonight so I'll get one good workout. He's good at keeping training at a high intensity and keeping everyone on track so that we get conditioning in with boxing. Since he's been so absent, my conditioning isn't what it used to be or I'm just in kind of a rut or something.

I'm going to go to a show this weekend and help with the bouts, we have two guys fighting, then I need to focus on my training for the next month. I'm hoping to get a bout Dec. 13th against a gal I've fought before (2x), but she's very aggressive so I need to be tip top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My training hasn't been ideal lately. My coach is back tonight so I'll get one good workout. He's good at keeping training at a high intensity and keeping everyone on track so that we get conditioning in with boxing. Since he's been so absent, my conditioning isn't what it used to be or I'm just in kind of a rut or something.

I'm going to go to a show this weekend and help with the bouts, we have two guys fighting, then I need to focus on my training for the next month. I'm hoping to get a bout Dec. 13th against a gal I've fought before (2x), but she's very aggressive so I need to be tip top.
    It's good to hear you do have some good things to say about your coach.

I'd still at least talk to him about sparring if you think he's going to keep pairing you up with slow beginners and not allow you to get the more advanced sparring in to balance this.

I don't think talking to my coaches would have made a difference in my situation because I did actually try that a few times. I was just sort of forgotten I think.

if your coach does keep sessions on track and structured and is aware if where everyone is when he is there then at least he has something that was lacking in my situation. Maybe if you talk to him about it things will improve?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, he knows I need different sparring. The problem is that I'm the smallest in our club and the only other girl is so new and slow that it's not helping me. The nearest gym from us is an hour and a half drive so we make the trip when we can. (they have a few 13 yr old boys that I spar with) But it's a big inconvenience for my coach and I think he's a bit burnt out on the whole boxing thing so I don't want to push it too much.

I'll mention again that I need to get up there to spar and see how he feels about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tricky situation!

Do you have to car pool with your coach and have him present when you spar. I know it is better to have someone there who can give you feedback and tips on strategy as you go and that's ideal.

Having said that i didn't have my coaches there for most of my interclub sparring and while some of the sessions were frustrating they were still better than nothing in my opinion.

Do you think he'd let you drive there alone sometimes when he can't make it?

Damn the beginning to be over boxing thing is rough. I really don't know what to do about that but i guess with some people it will just be a phase so hopefully he is reinvigorated soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, his father-in-law just died so he's been under a lot of stress.

I've been to the other gym before with my coach and without. Just depends on the circumstances. I'd rather he be there, but we know the other coach and boxers well, they are friends of ours so it's not a huge deal if I go alone. I'm going to mention it again at the end of next week after he's had some time to relax and all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How are things going?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, we just had Thanksgiving so I've been out of town for a few days.
    All I could do when I was gone was run, but that's ok.
    My coach is working on getting me a match for the 13th of December. If he does, I'm going to insist that he take me up to the other club to spar with some of the younger boys there. (the opponent that we're trying to get is about 5' tall and I'm 5'6" and the shortest in my club) so I need to spar with some shorter kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My coach is working on getting me a match for the 13th of December. If he does, I'm going to insist that he take me up to the other club to spar with some of the younger boys there. (the opponent that we're trying to get is about 5' tall and I'm 5'6" and the shortest in my club) so I need to spar with some shorter kids.
    Sounds good

Have fun with the shorties (people not too disimmilar to myself )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Feur runs in to an allmost similar problem,she ends up sparring with everyone,but her height makes it almost prohibitive to judge the results,she's 6 even so she destroys everyone shorter then her,and I dont get enough guys in here who are bigger then her. Ive given her her worst problems sparring,and since Ive officially retired now,I hate sparring,my goal is to get old and fat and let other people lift weights while I complain about my arthritis.

Thread Information