Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The heavies need a Super Six

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    You can't have a supersix tournament in the heavyweight divison. First off the two best fighters won't fight each other so that would automatically make it unworkable.

Secondly Tony Thompson has already been dominated by a Klitschko, Eddie Chambers came up short against Povetkin.

We know the only challengers of note to the Klits are Povetkin and Haye, and both will get their chance next year anyway.

A tournament there would be a complete waste of time as we already know who the best two are, they won't fight each other and it's clear who the next best two contenders are, and they will be fighting a Klit next year anyway.

The only divisions the Super Six really works is Super middleweight and junior welter ( actually lightweight might be interesting) , because at those weights we have an abundance of talent, but no clear champion, or contender.

The heavyweights there is no doubt who the champs and contenders are.

Same for welterweight, a tournament there would be pointless, the best two fighters are going to fight, as the other two best, the winners can meet maybe, hell it practically is a supersix going on their anyway, Cotto eliminated Clottey, Mosely eliminated Margarito. Then Manny destroyed Cotto, Mosely will face Berto, who eliminated Collazo and Floyd faces Manny.

We basically are having a tournament in all but name at 147 right now.

I think that's far from the case to be honest.. We know that Haye and Povetkin are the ONLY noteworthy challengers to either brother, but only because they haven't already lost to them. I'd say it's far from certain that either(Haye especially) is better than guys the Klits have been beating, and a super six without the Klitschko's would go a long way towards establishing a more worthy challenger. Is it the concencus that Haye would be a big favourite over Tony Thompson, or Eddie Chambers? I personally would call both pick em fights..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You misanalysed it Bilbo :-)

[q] You can't have a supersix tournament in the heavyweight divison. First off the two best fighters won't fight each other so that would automatically make it unworkable. [\q]

that's why I proposed that the winner of the tournament will be fighting Vitaly should it be someone different from Wladimir.

and quite frankly, it could be the case. I wanted 2 USA fighters, because without that, US audience won't be watching, and these 2 fighters have skills, that's all we wanna see nowadays...

[q] Secondly Tony Thompson has already been dominated by a Klitschko, Eddie Chambers came up short against Povetkin..[\q]

and ? Thomson wants his revenge, good, he's gifted and will be a threat for any other heavy in this tournament. can win over Haye, Povetkin, Solis and Chambers.

Chambers on his side will be a tough cookie for some of them, because what he displayed against A. Dimentrenko was just great. against Povetikin, he just "snapped" the guy imposed his speed over the russian and found the way with his right hand all the time during 3-4 rounds. let give him another chance, the guy if he's smart analysed it and I'm sure he can finish the fight with that speed agains the russian.

The tourney is pretty open in fact.

Wladimir is the favourite ? on paper ! : he struggled against Peter Sam (knocked down 2times) and Davaryl williamson ! he has been exposed pretty badly by Lamon Brewster, Sanders...the guy is vulnerable when put under pressure if the guy can bang....

put him against Haye / Solis, and he has a pretty descent chance to leave the ring on a stretcher.

Povetikin, former amateur champ, is good and gifted, I give him a chance, but not in finale...I'm sure Chambers could beat him as well Thompson.

Solis is a extremely talented heavyweight, his only problems is food & training. but motivated and at 250, he can beat them all, I'm sure he can KO wlad, this guy is technically very good.

Haye can win this kind of tourney, I'm sure he will lose a fight in the process, but this kind of fighter could KO wlad in 2 like Sanders did...even if Wlad really improved these last years...

Maybe in fact I would replace Chambers/Thompson by Samuel Peter...just to have a slug in there...

but this kind of show would entertain for sure

Seb

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Call me the cynic here, but having subjected myself to another 12 rounds of heavyweight "action" this weekend, I think we should have a "Shitty Six" tournament made up of dull heavyweights who are constantly stinking up undercards, and far too frequently top billing with low-quality low excitement bouts against equally dull opponents. The catch is, the losers are contractually obliged not to fight for ten years and not to inflict their dross on the fans again.

Who knows, maybe the winner will be infused with some desire to go out and not only clinch, but fight and entertain.

My nominations are:

1. Nikolay Valuev
    2. John Ruiz
    3. Ruslan Chagaev
    4. Oleg Maskaev
    5. Audley Harrison
    6. Jameel McCline

Subs:
    Oliver McCall (I feel bad - but over recent years he's been pretty dire)
    Tye Fields
    Juan Carlos Gomez

Thread Information