Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ask a Pro: Larry Olubamiwo

have just sent off the next batch of questions. Thanks guys.

Bear in mind as well that Larry spent parts of 2 or 3 of his training camps in L.A at the Wildcard gym with Freddie Roach, Alex Ariza and other trainers/boxers there. So if you want to ask any questions relating to his time there, that might be interesting too.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does Larry believe there's a moral difference between a boxer that cheats by taking drugs and a boxer that cheats by loading his gloves?

Thanks.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi larry I'm ignorant about your fights, couldn't really find any clips on youtube.

my question is a simple one, in the ring what do you like to do the most?

Some love to throw that hook to the body, some that sweet cross on the chin, some live for the perfect counter.

What would you consider to be the one thing you love to do in the ring?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In one of the statements Larry said to walk a mile in his shoes before judging him. Could/Would he elaborate on this? Was he encouraged to take them? if so by who (no need to name names) Was he unable to say no? If so why not?

Would he be prepared to say if he knows of any current champions on PEDS, British, World?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You've said you're going to restart your career at the end of your ban. At that point you'll be 37 years old. You're unlikely to get anywhere near even British level, so you'd be fighting for a few thousand quid at best, maybe get invited to a Prizefighter tournament if it's still going, that sort of level. So what's the point if you're not going to win any titles or make any money? Why not just start concentrating on the rest of your life? Or do you expect your comeback to be a financial and sporting success?

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What is the best boxer you have faced professionally and sparring?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Have you offered your services to the authorities to expose the problem and help the boxing game?

Why is it not an option?
    I am not prepared to grass up anyone, thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    Haye or Chisora, who do you think will win and why? Have you sparred either of them?
    I think Haye wins because of his speed. Never sparred any of them

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post

Larry, what are your plans for the next four years? Are you able to participate in other sports? Do you consider sport an option? What are you thoughts on MMA?

Or WWE?

Just messin. You ARE freekishly huge. Do you think you underestimated McDermott?
    My plans are to make money. I would do MMA if its financially viable.

No, that loss was due to bad tactical advice and not having been warmed up properly, i definitely didnt underestimate him.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    - what boxers inspired you to start boxing and which boxers inspired your style?

- if you do you think are the best trainers and why?

- do you have any advice for anyone becoming a professional boxer?

- I admired several boxers but I wouldn't say they were my inspiration to start boxing and my style is not based on any boxer as it changed from most of my fights to the sexton fight.

- I couldnt really say as i havn't seen enough coaches to be able to say which one is best.

- Yes, Only become a pro boxer if it is a hobby and not to make money or you will be sorely dissappointed.

Mentioned
    949 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
    I'll get the ball rolling, I have 2 questions:

- Do you still think you would have won the fights you did without the drugs?
    Yes I do believe I would have won those fights as those fights were won with punching power and despite what people think i think the substances for recovery, not muscle mass or strength

Is it because you have a BSc in Pharmaceutical Chemistry that you were able to synthesise a form of HGH that whilst having the side effect of aiding in your recovery had none of the other commonly known correlations to size, strength and explosive muscle power, something you obviously did not need in the 10 KO's you scored in your first 11 fights? Did you manage to do this with anabolic steroids too, removing their tendency to mostly improve the muscle fiber size in the vastus lateralis (crucial in punching power) and the trapezius muscle (useful in providing a strong neck to absorb punches)?

- Being such a massive guy, knocking everyone else out, how shocked were you when McDermott landed those big shots? Was it literally a case of not knowing what had hit you. I bet you never expected it. I certainly didn't watching at home!
    Those knockdowns with mcdermott were purely because I was not warmed up properly, as u see i got up both times and beat the count. I was not hurt at any point but if u are not warm, punches have a more pronounced effect

Do you usually wobble like that when you are not hurt? Were you trying to call his bluff?

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post
    Lots of fans and trainers will think that fighters being too muscle-bound doesn't actually benefit them. As an example of a muscular boxer, what do you think?
    Me being muscular has nothing to do with the substances i was taking as i was naturally a very muscular guy anyway and as i said they were not used to be muscular, so that is down to my genetics.

there is a point of diminishing returns as far as muscle mass is concerned as u want enough to help ur power and protect vital organs but not too much that will hamper ur stamina as muscles require oxygen. so it really has to be experimented with off season to see what is best.

Were your experiments with muscle building and EPO not so successful, only you looked pretty gassed at the end of the Sexton fight and that was stopped early?

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Will you be helping the authorities expose the problem and help the boxing game?

You will receive a lighter sentence and you could help youngsters not go down the same route like Dwain Chambers has done?
    At this moment this is not an option.

As a graduate in pharmaceuticals did you not worry about the side effects of the drugs you ingested? Excessive organ growth and heart disease from HGH, hypertension,an increase in LDL cholesterol,coronary artery disease, premature baldness from anabolic steroids and the increased risk of heart attacks and strokes with EPO? Could you not use your knowledge to help educate people on the dangers of using the aforesaid PED's? You seem uniquely qualified to do so here in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post

"What calibur are the guys you know who are using? Without naming names i.e. Are they World champions, British champions, World title challengers etc"
    The calibur of guys i know that are using are all across the board from the journeyman to world champions and also some guys who have retired who were world champions.
    If you were using for 6 years that means you started straight after graduating and all of your pro career. Did you also use as an amateur or when you did athletics?

I only ask these questions because as a fan of Boxing it seems that the prevalence of PED's in the sport is in danger of overshadowing the hard work and dedication of clean athletes out there. While I have no desire to see Boxers forced to be role models, the sport is dangerous enough as it is without participants not fighting on a level playing field. It makes precautionary measures like weight classes almost irrelevant when liberties are taken. If that makes me "an odious little c***" like your good friend Altug seems to think, then so be it.
    Last edited by Beanz; 06-26-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: censoring the c word
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I only ask these clearly loaded and sarcastic questions because I am trying to wind you up
    Fixed

I will send your questions over to him regardless of their obvious intent but I can tell you that you know absolutely nothing of what you speak.

1) Steroids do not give you more fast twitch muscle fibers which are responsible for explosive power. E.G Malignaggi wouldn't suddenly have power if he went on steroids. That's basic physiology..
    2) Larry knew exactly what the effects of ABUSE were. He didn't abuse. Well played getting your PED facts from The Sun newspaper..
    3) Larry was nowhere near gassed for the Sexton fight..
    4) You can lose your legs in boxing and never be hurt in the process. Basic, basic stuff..

I doubt his answers will be much different but hey..I'll humour you and send them.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do you consider your most satisfying accomplishment in the ring?

Who was your most difficult or challenging opponent and why?

What is one (or many) things that you feel boxing fans, even the hardcore ones, just don't understand about the sport?

Thanks for doing this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From your standpoint as a professional boxer who has been through it all. How corrupt do you think the game is? And to what degree? Not in terms of PEDs, but in general.
    Last edited by southpawed; 06-27-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im not going to pretend to know the benefits of taking whatever you took and Im not going to look it up either so I'd like to know.... of all the attributes we'd like to see in a fighter (strength, speed, stamina, courage, punching power, ability to take a punch, mental strength etc) What were you trying to improve on?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Im not going to pretend to know the benefits of taking whatever you took and Im not going to look it up either so I'd like to know.... of all the attributes we'd like to see in a fighter (strength, speed, stamina, courage, punching power, ability to take a punch, mental strength etc) What were you trying to improve on?
    Good question, Memphis. Can I just clarify before I send it off - Do you mean what was he trying to improve on by taking what he took or what was he trying to improve on in general in the boxing gym?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

only messing pal, i actually think your sentence is ridiculous considering the sentences given out to other fighters caught doing the same or similar things

even on this forum the amount of people who accept and defend the fact that mosley, jones, holyfield, etc were drug cheats yet when margarito was caught with the hand wraps he was hated on
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just sent the next batch of questions off.
    Will send the replies to James as soon as I get them

Thread Information