Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  203
Dislikes Dislikes:  3

Poll: Who wins Fury or Usyk

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Fury v Usyk is on.............!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fury v Usyk is on.............!

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Just got to see an albeit dodgy video of the fight on youtube.
    here's a good copy if you still need it
    https://ok.ru/video/8139132045829
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    949 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I haven't rewatched last nights fight, but I can't really see how you could have scored it for Fury. It was certainly close and I must give Fury much more credit than I did pre-fight. He turned up and despite his pre-fight BS made sure he was on his A-game all night. He had to be and he knew it.

The accolades for Fury's ability to survive do not paper over the cracks that have been exposed again and again and surely now nobody can deny that for a big man he is not the biggest hitter and nor is he the elusive ghost or defensive whizz he pretends to be. Trilogies with Wilder and Chisora make that abundantly clear.

The big man brought with him into the ring, echoes of Sullivan, Corbett and Mace. A flexibility and repertoire of fundamentals, tricks and combinations that makes all the bragging even more unnecessary. Fury's own over estimations and exaggerations seem to earn him a bit of short sightedness from pundits who forget to acknowledge the difficulty his not always brilliant opponents manage to negate in getting close enough to someone with such a huge reach advantage and clock him on the chin.

Usyk was the real summation though, of all that keeps fans watching the sometimes boringly predictable heavyweight title bouts, an always ready time bomb waiting to explode in the smallest of windows. He has absorbed so many of the styles that allowed previous heavyweights to etch their exploits onto the back pages, that he can sometimes utilise a handful of them in one round.

The idea that Usyk looked like a defeated fighter with his spirit broken at any point in the fight is laughable. Fury clearly hurt Usyk at points but the only really dominant one sided beat down happened before us all in round nine. In that momentous round Usyk showed his class, superior skills and ring-craft. He did everything but put a full stop on it and made Fury look like the smaller man. From that first big left ramming Fury's insults right back down his gobshite mouth, Usyk zipped up any escape routes and should be given way more credit for his finishing skills.

It wasn't that Fury was too tentative and failed to capitalize on his own successes. It was much more of a case that Usyk did not allow him the space or time to dictate things like he usually can. The mind games were pointless and Fury was not quick enough, mentally or physically to plot his own route to victory.

Great fight and one worthy of the undisputed title it bestowed upon the real champion. A man that conducted himself impeccably in the face of great ( and often classless) provocation. A calm Frazier to Fury's poor Ali impersonation, Usyk got his just reward for not letting the enormity of the opportunity distract him from the task in front of him.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i also want to thank oleksandr for showing that bridgerweight is a waste of time
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Watched it again and can't understand why Fury didn't TRY HARDER in rounds 4 5 and especially 6 when it honestly look like Usyk was taking too much punishment and his Spirit looked crushed and he was badly hurt several times by uppercuts and body shots. Fury s strategy was working very well up to that point and when he hit him with that uppercut in the sixth you can see that it broke something the way he winced and jumped back and wobbled. It definitely at that point was starting to look like a walk in the park and that Fury was just too big.

So again I just cannot understand why he did not jump on him. He did not jump on him at all take advantage of this. It was like he deliberately let him off the hook. And I think it's clear that if he had knocked the Ukrainian out cold in the sixth round that we would be saying there is no need at all for any rematch. So did he stupidly think it would carry him to a decision and play it safe and then make it look like there was a great reason for the rematch in the clause? At one point in the 6th and It really looked like it wouldn't go more than another two rounds the way it was going.

Very disappointing that Tyson Fury did not even try one little bit to finish the job when he had his man quite hurt especially in that sixth round. Very strange. As for the scoring, it was definitely fair but I could easily have seen this a draw.
    He got battered by a middleweight.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beanz, that was a fantastic post. Great writing and great analysis and I could not agree more. He is not as elusive as we had thought or at least some of us had thought and of course he does not hit as hard as it looked like he hit after his big knockout over Wilder. And yes he did fight his ass off and he even surprise me in a lot of ways. The only thing that I don't quite 100% agree with is that I think he was lazy and did not take his opponent seriously enough and by the sixth round he thought it would be a walk in the park and that was his other mistake, his laziness and his overconfidence and his cheesy Muhammad Ali impersonation

I still think he could have done better to finish his opponent or throw more punches in the last 6 minutes but credit to the Alexander usyk for fighting a fantastic fight with such a huge size differential

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree Fury thought he had him beaten in the middle round but Usyk way too smart and finds a way.

I did say months ago they were the two best boxing brains on the planet.

Take the last thirty seconds of round 9 out of the equation and you'd have trouble separating them - and it wouldn't have been as satisfying. Those thirty seconds ended the debate as to who should get the nod.

I'd love to see it again of course.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was a pretty exciting fight with ebb and flow and they both hurt each other. I don't know about the injuries. One uppercut in the six round I thought he split his nose open. And one more punch in the 9th round he could have killed Fury who was helpless on the ropes with his eyes rolled up in fear because he was in a very compromising position for a clean left hand right on the jaw. I think he thought he was dead and I have never seen that kind of fear in his eye he could easily have been killed if one more flush left hand with full force landed on his jaw.

That was high drama and everything you would want in a prize fight. It seems that Tyson Fury gassed out and didn't have any legs left. Also why didn't he clinch? He tried to clinch but Alexander wriggled out of it. Furious always good at tying people up but he could not tie him up when he was hurt.

Even though he cracked him good for 6 rounds it was still disappointing that he did not try harder. It's easy for me to say sitting as a spectator drinking tamarind juice with seltzer water but still for somebody with such a big mouth you'd think that he would really try to finish the job in the sixth round and you would also think that in rounds 11 and 12 that he would go all out to try to keep his belt. I don't know why he didn't put more effort into it I just don't know why I guess he was totally out of energy and totally gassed. But he didn't do a lot of dancing during the fight and did a lot of backing up into the ropes so I don't know why he was so gassed

But his recovery powers are amazing and I think those three fights with Wilder definitely softened him up which is to be expected. There was a lot of hard punches in those three fights even if people think wilder's a club fighter he hits like a torpedo and he dropped Fury about four times so that was a lot of punishing headshots and maybe Tyson Fury now looks like an old man in that 9th round the way he was wobbling around really looked like an old man. He may have run his course and nobody can doubt his heart. Did I overrate him? No I don't think so. Do I write him higher than Lennox lewis? No I don't.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    It was a pretty exciting fight with ebb and flow and they both hurt each other. I don't know about the injuries. One uppercut in the six round I thought he split his nose open. And one more punch in the 9th round he could have killed Fury who was helpless on the ropes with his eyes rolled up in fear because he was in a very compromising position for a clean left hand right on the jaw. I think he thought he was dead and I have never seen that kind of fear in his eye he could easily have been killed if one more flush left hand with full force landed on his jaw.

That was high drama and everything you would want in a prize fight. It seems that Tyson Fury gassed out and didn't have any legs left. Also why didn't he clinch? He tried to clinch but Alexander wriggled out of it. Furious always good at tying people up but he could not tie him up when he was hurt.

Even though he cracked him good for 6 rounds it was still disappointing that he did not try harder. It's easy for me to say sitting as a spectator drinking tamarind juice with seltzer water but still for somebody with such a big mouth you'd think that he would really try to finish the job in the sixth round and you would also think that in rounds 11 and 12 that he would go all out to try to keep his belt. I don't know why he didn't put more effort into it I just don't know why I guess he was totally out of energy and totally gassed. But he didn't do a lot of dancing during the fight and did a lot of backing up into the ropes so I don't know why he was so gassed

But his recovery powers are amazing and I think those three fights with Wilder definitely softened him up which is to be expected. There was a lot of hard punches in those three fights even if people think wilder's a club fighter he hits like a torpedo and he dropped Fury about four times so that was a lot of punishing headshots and maybe Tyson Fury now looks like an old man in that 9th round the way he was wobbling around really looked like an old man. He may have run his course and nobody can doubt his heart. Did I overrate him? No I don't think so. Do I write him higher than Lennox lewis? No I don't.
    Fuck me, you were literally calling him the greatest HW that’s ever lived. Now , he’s demoted behind Lennox Lewis and fuck knows who else.
    Dear oh dear oh dear.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just seen a vid of the Fury corner between rounds. What a fucking shambles. Sugar Hill doesn’t stand a chance . What the fuck are they letting John Fury do ? Shooting his mouth off while Sugar Hill is trying to put his point over.
    John Fury should be nowhere near the corner. Completely Ridiculous.
    I’ll stop short of saying his Dad cost him the fight, because I think Usyk would’ve won whether big John was there or not. But he sure didn’t help.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Steve still trying to find ways to cope 😂
    If Fury & yourself hadn't talked so much smack there wouldn't be so much embarrassment
    Fury actually fought really well from rounds 4-7
    Usyk's pressure & ability to adapt coupled with his gas tank was just too much
    All the talk about Usyk getting beaten up are hyperbole
    The only fighter at risk of getting KTFO was Fury
    Fury got himself in his best condition in years & threw everything he had at Usyk
    Unfortunately it wasn't enough
    I don't think Fury has it in him to ever get back in the ring again in that condition
    So I see him looking for easier tasks or chasing the biggest money
    He might talk about fighting Usyk again but I think deep down he doesn't want that smoke ever again
    Fury's last 2 fights have really damaged his image
    Usyk has shown that some of the 6'3 heavyweights from the past would have done well against this era's Super-Heavies
    All this talk about them being too big is just simply that... talk

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just wanted to add. In a time when 'The best don't fight the best, not like the good old days' Which is utter bollocks. Usyk has cleaned house in two divisions. In 22 fights!! If you're good enough, it happens.

Also. Of all the Brits. I still think Chisora might have come closest to beating Usyk
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    If you're good enough, it happens.

Also. Of all the Brits. I still think Chisora might have come closest to beating Usyk
    being good enough is not enough, the fighter's have to want it as well. the derek fight wasn't close. i just watched again recently & had oleksandr ahead by six points. the only one who's run oleksandr close is mairis

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Big J View Post
    Steve still trying to find ways to cope 😂
    If Fury & yourself hadn't talked so much smack there wouldn't be so much embarrassment
    Fury actually fought really well from rounds 4-7
    Usyk's pressure & ability to adapt coupled with his gas tank was just too much
    All the talk about Usyk getting beaten up are hyperbole
    The only fighter at risk of getting KTFO was Fury
    Fury got himself in his best condition in years & threw everything he had at Usyk
    Unfortunately it wasn't enough
    I don't think Fury has it in him to ever get back in the ring again in that condition
    So I see him looking for easier tasks or chasing the biggest money
    He might talk about fighting Usyk again but I think deep down he doesn't want that smoke ever again
    Fury's last 2 fights have really damaged his image
    Usyk has shown that some of the 6'3 heavyweights from the past would have done well against this era's Super-Heavies
    All this talk about them being too big is just simply that... talk
    Hey man, we're here for you. If you have any worries or troubles just let us know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Usyk is an all time great. Usyk had to push ref out of the way in 9th round. Ref was trying to aid Fury

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson Fury has indicated that he will trigger the rematch clause in the contract for October. It remains to be seen whether he sticks to his words. He took a shellacking and you wonder if you would like some more of it. If the guy fights differently he can easily win the fight. He was easily winning by the 7th round it looked like a cakewalk. He was really cracking him and you could see the ukrainian start to crumble. A few more of those uppercuts and body shots and that would have been it.

Why Tyson Fury clowned around so much and backed up to the ropes imitating Muhammad Ali and taking unnecessary punches instead of staying in the center of the Ring and popping that ramrod jab into his face, is a mystery. Probably he was conserving energy. Fighting at that fast pace for a 6'9 270 lb behemoth will certainly run his battery down.

Next time he should fight more aggressively and I think he'll get him out of there in eight rounds. He just has to do the same thing he was doing for the first six rounds and the fight won't last 9. He has to go right at him and bomb him out.

The way he staggered back to the ropes in the 9th round reminded me of the way Muhammad Ali stack it back to the ropes against Fraser and shavers. It was almost choreographed. I don't know why he wanted to fight backing up. He's so huge he should have stood his ground.

Let's see if the rematch happens. The fight is definitely worthy of a rematch. It was a very exciting fight. We got what we wanted. A great prize fight. Two great fighters. One fought under his potential and the other one fought at his potential. If the one who fought under his potential fights at his potential next time, then Fury wins the fight

Thread Information