Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Thrilla in Manilla Documentary

From the documentaries around the first fight him and Frazier were both going at it verbally. Ali was much more hardcore in what he was saying but didn't Frazier refer to Ali as "Cassius" during the first fight hype as well?

The main fact is, Ali then and Ali now and Frazier then and Frazier now. Ali moved on and made strides to be a better person after his boxing career which is why he is "the greatest"

Joe still holds onto 30 years ago and only reconciles with Ali if there is money involved and then reniggs it.

Nothing those two have done should be excused by anyone.

The difference is Ali has nothing to be excused for now, he's tried, and done all he can to make things right. Frazier is intent on still having some, and thats his fault.

watching the documentary would make you think the third fight crowd was pro Frazier all night

But when I watch the fight on ESPN Classic they booed at the start and Ali started making faces and pretending to cry and they began cheering. And they cheered even more when Ali and Frazier were talking trash in the ring introductions and I think Ali was saying "I'm gonna kick your ass" And Frazier was saying something back.

But it wasn't a pro Frazier only crowd as the documentary would let you think, they cheered at all the high spots, not just when Frazier did something.
    Last edited by Majesty; 04-14-2009 at 11:10 PM.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    From the documentaries around the first fight I saw him and Frazier were both going at it verbally. Didn't Frazier refer to Ali as "Cassius" during the first fight hype?
    yea he did, one of the rare few moments that Ali turned serious while the fight was being promoted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    ...it is just tragic the way Ali treated Joe, and Ali gets the praise and the glory and all Joe gets is the satisfaction of beating up Ali in all 3 fights....he lost 2 of them but Frazier hurt him there is no denying that.

I watched this documentary and I really got angry. If you choose Ali you were right and if Frazier you were a racist or an uncle Tom. What a crock of shit. Nevermind the fact that Frazier was just a hard nosed blue collared fighter who worked his whole life since he was a kid and Ali was a middle-class school enrolled student who was bred for olympic glory. Something oddley enough when Ali called Frazier an Uncle Tom and a pure nigger. When Frazier was actually treated like a slave his whole life and had to fight for everything he got. I kept saying god damn people were stupid back then. Here is a man who has done nothing to nobody just won the heavyweight crown by KO,and didn't hype himself as "The Greatest" kept his mouth shut and did his job,also helped his friend Ali in need by giving him money when he was flat broke,then get's him back into the ring, then Ali spits back in his face by destroying Frazier's life and Frazier's children from simple childish name calling and the stupid ass media ate the shit up. Fuck everyone who was ever involved with that and thought it was ok. And FUCK Ferdie Pachaceo another piece of shit after that stupid stupid interview last night saying " it was great ". Sorry I'm getting a little pissed off again. But in the end Frazier is still pissed and rightfully so. Fuck Ali for doing that who was his FRIEND in the beginning. He is a backstabbing piece of shit in my mind.
    I honestly thought the documentary was bias in Fraizer's favor heavily.

I like Fraizer better so doesn't bother me but I'm just sayin thats what I saw.
    Well, yeah, it probably was, and I'm glad it was. Ali gets a pass on way too much BS and he's become this uber-hero, more than he really deserves. I think some of the point of it was to show another perspective on "The Greatest." Frazier never got the credit he really deserved. Part of this has to do with the Foreman fight, but Ali and his mouth also contributed. Ali fans convinced themselves that the first fight was closer than it was and that it was a fluke. In the second fight, the ref played a big role, and in the third fight, Ali might have beat (barely) Frazier, but Frazier BEAT UP Ali.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wish they would play the entire fight either before or after (preferably both) the documentary. I hate seeing like 10 seconds of a round and then not seeing the rest. It is like strip tease.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From the documentaries around the first fight him and Frazier were both going at it verbally. Ali was much more hardcore in what he was saying but didn't Frazier refer to Ali as "Cassius" during the first fight hype as well?

The main fact is, Ali then and Ali now and Frazier then and Frazier now. Ali moved on and made strides to be a better person after his boxing career which is why he is "the greatest"

Joe still holds onto 30 years ago and only reconciles with Ali if there is money involved and then reniggs it.

Nothing those two have done should be excused by anyone.

The difference is Ali has nothing to be excused for now, he's tried, and done all he can to make things right. Frazier is intent on still having some, and thats his fault.

watching the documentary would make you think the third fight crowd was pro Frazier all night

But when I watch the fight on ESPN Classic they booed at the start and Ali started making faces and pretending to cry and they began cheering. And they cheered even more when Ali and Frazier were talking trash in the ring introductions and I think Ali was saying "I'm gonna kick your ass" And Frazier was saying something back.

But it wasn't a pro Frazier only crowd as the documentary would let you think, they cheered at all the high spots, not just when Frazier did something.
    Frazier did call Ali Cassius and other stuff but that was only in response to the stuff Ali was coming out with. It was not Ali's finest hour.

El Kabong Guest

Match, I understand Vietnam wasn't popular, I understand Ali along with plenty of people (not just blacks) didn't want to go, I understand the racism that was going on at that time which is why I am anti-Ali....he was supposed to be a Civil Rights figure, Jesse Jackson hung out with him, Bryant Gumbel praised him.....but that was at the expense of Joe Frazier the epitome of who was being hurt at that time in history, and to not see the injustice that was done to Joe Frazier shows a bias that is idiotic. Joe Frazier grew up in South Carolina and I will tell you honestly one person to another, AT NO POINT IN HISTORY WOULD I WANT TO BE BLACK AND LIVE IN SOUTH CAROLINA. I would rather be in Alabama, Georgia, Texas, ANYWHERE other than South Carolina! He was poor, he got supported by a group of people that happened to be majority white (who hand the money at that point in time?) and because Ali berated Joe Frazier (a guy who helped Ali through the hard times of his being banned from boxing) Joe's kids got beat up in school just because they were Joe Frazier's kids.....how would that make you feel, being black, being shunned by people of your own race just because someone called you a name and apparently he had more credibility at the time, why I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Frazier did call Ali Cassius and other stuff but that was only in response to the stuff Ali was coming out with. It was not Ali's finest hour.
    I am always shocked to find when we agree on something.

As for Joe Frazier calling Ali 'Cassius'...is that better or worse than calling a black person a "gorrilla", "Uncle Tom", or just plain ignorant. It's not like Frazier rolled out with the Family who owned Ali's relatives or anything. Muhammed Ali changed his name when he joined one of the dumbest fucking groups in the entire world the "Nation of Islam" a group of people who think that all muslims are black and the KKK is correct on segregation, and that the blue eyed white devil causes all the evil in the world...I think calling Ali 'Cassius' in hindsight ought to be considered a compliment along the lines of saying something like "I know you aren't THAT dumb Ali".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RozzySean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post

I watched this documentary and I really got angry. If you choose Ali you were right and if Frazier you were a racist or an uncle Tom. What a crock of shit. Nevermind the fact that Frazier was just a hard nosed blue collared fighter who worked his whole life since he was a kid and Ali was a middle-class school enrolled student who was bred for olympic glory. Something oddley enough when Ali called Frazier an Uncle Tom and a pure nigger. When Frazier was actually treated like a slave his whole life and had to fight for everything he got. I kept saying god damn people were stupid back then. Here is a man who has done nothing to nobody just won the heavyweight crown by KO,and didn't hype himself as "The Greatest" kept his mouth shut and did his job,also helped his friend Ali in need by giving him money when he was flat broke,then get's him back into the ring, then Ali spits back in his face by destroying Frazier's life and Frazier's children from simple childish name calling and the stupid ass media ate the shit up. Fuck everyone who was ever involved with that and thought it was ok. And FUCK Ferdie Pachaceo another piece of shit after that stupid stupid interview last night saying " it was great ". Sorry I'm getting a little pissed off again. But in the end Frazier is still pissed and rightfully so. Fuck Ali for doing that who was his FRIEND in the beginning. He is a backstabbing piece of shit in my mind.
    I honestly thought the documentary was bias in Fraizer's favor heavily.

I like Fraizer better so doesn't bother me but I'm just sayin thats what I saw.
    Well, yeah, it probably was, and I'm glad it was. Ali gets a pass on way too much BS and he's become this uber-hero, more than he really deserves. I think some of the point of it was to show another perspective on "The Greatest." Frazier never got the credit he really deserved. Part of this has to do with the Foreman fight, but Ali and his mouth also contributed. Ali fans convinced themselves that the first fight was closer than it was and that it was a fluke. In the second fight, the ref played a big role, and in the third fight, Ali might have beat (barely) Frazier, but Frazier BEAT UP Ali.

Ali got claimed the greatest for the things he did after his boxing career or he'd be known as just a great heavyweight fighter like Joe Frazier. It's not Ali's fault that Frazier didn't decide to do what he did after retirement. To say Frazier gets the short end of the stick is BS.

Ali's kudos not only come from his boxing career but the great things he has done afterwards. Frazier did what most boxers do after they retire and there's no problem with that. Ali went on and did great things outside of boxing, being a motivational speaker, donating to hungry children doing a lot of things and making a lot of stands etc that get him called the Greatest. It's not Ali's fault that Frazier didn't do the same thing to get the same credit.

Stop blaming Ali for doing something after his boxing career and being called the greatest because of it and say its his fault Frazier doesn't get the credit when he didnt do what Ali did after his career.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As for Joe Frazier calling Ali 'Cassius'...is that better or worse than calling a black person a "gorrilla", "Uncle Tom", or just plain ignorant. It's not like Frazier rolled out with the Family who owned Ali's relatives or anything. Muhammed Ali changed his name when he joined one of the dumbest fucking groups in the entire world the "Nation of Islam" a group of people who think that all muslims are black and the KKK is correct on segregation, and that the blue eyed white devil causes all the evil in the world...I think calling Ali 'Cassius' in hindsight ought to be considered a compliment along the lines of saying something like "I know you aren't THAT dumb Ali".
    Your logic can make a lot of sense now but you have to understand how times were back then and how different mindsets were. It's not the world you or I grew up in and its something neither will understand nor be able to make sense of because we werent living back then and don't know what our opinions would be or say we'd be raised the same. So to look back on times and say "its stupid to live that way" yeah, hindsight is always 20-20. But at the time, it wasnt looked at it that way. It was over 40 years ago, there's no point in trying to make sense of it now imo.

El Kabong Guest

Your logic can make a lot of sense now but you have to understand how times were back then and how different mindsets were. It's not the world you or I grew up in and its something neither will understand nor be able to make sense of because we werent living back then and don't know what our opinions would be or say we'd be raised the same. So to look back on times and say "its stupid to live that way" yeah, hindsight is always 20-20. But at the time, it wasnt looked at it that way. It was over 40 years ago, there's no point in trying to make sense of it now imo.
    I addressed that in the part of my post that you chose not to quote....I think it is fucking childish and down right mean to trash a member of your own race the way Ali did for the reasons Ali did.

Was Joe Frazier white?
    Did Joe Frazier start the Vietnam War?
    Did Joe Frazier stand for segregation?
    Did Joe Frazier unleash dogs and firehoses on black people?
    Did Joe Frazier call anyone a n*gger?

The answers to all those questions is NO but oddly enough Ali did support segregation and Ali made Joe Frazier the embodiment of all those issues in the minds of some VERY ignorant people in the 1970's.

And post the 1968 Presidential Election the Vietnam War was extremely unpopular.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Match, I understand Vietnam wasn't popular, I understand Ali along with plenty of people (not just blacks) didn't want to go, I understand the racism that was going on at that time which is why I am anti-Ali....he was supposed to be a Civil Rights figure, Jesse Jackson hung out with him, Bryant Gumbel praised him.....but that was at the expense of Joe Frazier the epitome of who was being hurt at that time in history, and to not see the injustice that was done to Joe Frazier shows a bias that is idiotic. Joe Frazier grew up in South Carolina and I will tell you honestly one person to another, AT NO POINT IN HISTORY WOULD I WANT TO BE BLACK AND LIVE IN SOUTH CAROLINA. I would rather be in Alabama, Georgia, Texas, ANYWHERE other than South Carolina! He was poor, he got supported by a group of people that happened to be majority white (who hand the money at that point in time?) and because Ali berated Joe Frazier (a guy who helped Ali through the hard times of his being banned from boxing) Joe's kids got beat up in school just because they were Joe Frazier's kids.....how would that make you feel, being black, being shunned by people of your own race just because someone called you a name and apparently he had more credibility at the time, why I don't know.

Two things about this Lyle, first and foremost, Ali grew up in Louisville Kentucky, which as I'm sure you know falls below the Mason Dixie line. There was only one state in the deep south that was clearly worse than all others, and that was the state that lead the country in lynchings, Mississippi. To say Ali had it easier than Frazier would be as dumb as saying Frazier had it easier than Ali. They were two Black men growing up in the south. And most importantly, Ali's uncle tom attacks on Frazier were fueled by the fact that he was not an advocate on Civil Rights, similarly to how O.J. Simpson came under fire for not being an outspoken advocate on civil rights. This was WHY Ali berrated him. Joe Frazier represented the establishment, in that he was allowed a shot at a title that was stripped from Ali by the establishment. Ali's mistake was that he thought Frazier was an uncle tom because he refused to speak out, but in reality he was just a simple man who did not have the social conciousness that Ali did. This is WHY Ali attacked him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by match View Post

Two things about this Lyle, first and foremost, Ali grew up in Louisville Kentucky, which as I'm sure you know falls below the Mason Dixie line. There was only one state in the deep south that was clearly worse than all others, and that was the state that lead the country in lynchings, Mississippi. To say Ali had it easier than Frazier would be as dumb as saying Frazier had it easier than Ali. They were two Black men growing up in the south. And most importantly, Ali's uncle tom attacks on Frazier were fueled by the fact that he was not an advocate on Civil Rights, similarly to how O.J. Simpson came under fire for not being an outspoken advocate on civil rights. This was WHY Ali berrated him. Joe Frazier represented the establishment, in that he was allowed a shot at a title that was stripped from Ali by the establishment. Ali's mistake was that he thought Frazier was an uncle tom because he refused to speak out, but in reality he was just a simple man who did not have the social conciousness that Ali did. This is WHY Ali attacked him.
    Frazier was the son of poor share cropper who used to beat him: Ali grew up in a middle class neighborhood with a nice family. I dont think anyone who knows their stories would disagree that Ali had an easyier upbringing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Uppercut View Post

Frazier was the son of poor share cropper who used to beat him: Ali grew up in a middle class neighborhood with a nice family. I dont think anyone who knows their stories would disagree that Ali had an easyier upbringing.
    Dude, why do you think I mentioned the 'Mason Dixie line?' Lyle and I aren't talking about family life, we're talking about being Black growing up in the South.

El Kabong Guest

#1 It's the Mason-Dixon line...."Dixie" is the nickname of the Southern States. I am aware of Kentucky being south of sed line and that point is moot when it comes to what Ali said about Frazier. And Lance is 100% correct about their comparative upbringings. Louisville as compared to Beaufort....come on, there is no decision to make, I would be in Louisville 10-10 times when given the choice between there and Beaufort.

#2 Just because Joe Frazier didn't speak out it doesn't mean he didn't support what Ali stood for. Michael Jordan and more recently Tiger Woods were very closely guarded in their political views. Those guys never got called 'Uncle Tom's' or 'House Negroes' or anything like that...they were always treated with respect. And that silence doesn't warrant or justify attacks by that nature. Had Joe Frazier suddenly decided to speak out like Ali (which would have been well outside his nature) would Ali have stopped his attacks

I think it was hateful and hypocritical, what Ali and the people that supported him did to Joe Frazier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

#1 It's the Mason-Dixon line...."Dixie" is the nickname of the Southern States. I am aware of Kentucky being south of sed line and that point is moot when it comes to what Ali said about Frazier. And Lance is 100% correct about their comparative upbringings. Louisville as compared to Beaufort....come on, there is no decision to make, I would be in Louisville 10-10 times when given the choice between there and Beaufort.

#2 Just because Joe Frazier didn't speak out it doesn't mean he didn't support what Ali stood for. Michael Jordan and more recently Tiger Woods were very closely guarded in their political views. Those guys never got called 'Uncle Tom's' or 'House Negroes' or anything like that...they were always treated with respect. And that silence doesn't warrant or justify attacks by that nature. Had Joe Frazier suddenly decided to speak out like Ali (which would have been well outside his nature) would Ali have stopped his attacks

I think it was hateful and hypocritical, what Ali and the people that supported him did to Joe Frazier.
    You just reinterated what I just stated. --"Just because Frazier didn't speak out it doesn't mean he didn't support what Ali stood for." This is what I just said. I said the MISTAKE Ali made was that he mistook his silence for lack of empathy, as did many people in the country. Look at it this way, Max Schmelling recieved thousands of letters of hate mail from Americans because they THOUGHT he was a Nazi. He wasn't, but if you were German and were seen walking side by side with Hitler, it was reasonable to assume you were a Nazi. It was wrong, but it was understandable why people would assume that. Likewise, if you were powerful and Black and did not speak out during the Civil Rights movement, it was understandable that people would mistake you for an Uncle Tom. It was wrong, but it was simply understandable. And you need to understand what many in this thread have already brought up, Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods do not live under Jim Crow laws. There is absolutely no political subject today that affects Black people as the Civil Rights movement did, and that's something you know Lyle.

El Kabong Guest

You just reinterated what I just stated. --"Just because Frazier didn't speak out it doesn't mean he didn't support what Ali stood for." This is what I just said. I said the MISTAKE Ali made was that he mistook his silence for lack of empathy, as did many people in the country. Look at it this way, Max Schmelling recieved thousands of letters of hate mail from Americans because they THOUGHT he was a Nazi. He wasn't, but if you were German and were seen walking side by side with Hitler, it was reasonable to assume you were a Nazi. It was wrong, but it was understandable why people would assume that. Likewise, if you were powerful and Black and did not speak out during the Civil Rights movement, it was understandable that people would mistake you for an Uncle Tom. It was wrong, but it was simply understandable. And you need to understand what many in this thread have already brought up, Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods do not live under Jim Crow laws. There is absolutely no political subject today that affects Black people as the Civil Rights movement did, and that's something you know Lyle.
    OK, so I misinterpreted what you were saying...my bad. Ali used Frazier as propaganda when all Joe wanted to focus on is just fighting whoever was infront of him and then have his personal life at home where it was supposed to be.

As for Jordan and Woods, there was a feeling that those guys had to carry on what guys like Jim Brown did and be outspoken and take the Civil Rights movement to the next level. (That's the feeling I got anyway)....when Obama was running for President and everyone was hounding Tiger Woods for ANY opinion on it and he shied away from commenting on it, he caught hell for it. He did speak up after Barrack won but before then sports "journalists" like the fat slob Jason Whitlock were pressing Tiger to support Obama.

Sorry for the mix up...I just get a little fed up with people who treat Ali as if he did no wrong, IMO his rivalry with Frazier couldn't have been carried out in a more wrong manner.

Thread Information